CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Working idea

Anyone interested in discussing ideas for a Christian comic. My thinking is to use stories from the Bible but place them into a sci-fi context (a Star Wars style universe) A good example would be David and Goliath set in a setting of a battle in space (i.e. the battle of Yavin)

Suggestions and feedback is welcomed!

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I actualy have a Sci Fi version of the Parable of the Unjust Judge updating it to a DS9/Babylon 5 type Space Station. I'd be happy to share with anyone who'd like to take a hand at adapting it.

• Amen, Paula.

Be free in Christ to create freely! No matter what you do there will ALWAYS be those mockers in the world who will condemn you for being too Christian, and those thumpers in the church who will condemn you for being too worldly.

But when you come down to it, it's just you and Christ.

Walk, create, and have fun.

• Actually God made creation for Himself to be glorified, we just live in it, and sin entered the world through (one)man not satan. There's a lot of value in non-christian works touted/lauded as Christian, just not for the salvation of mankind, adversely more towards it's detriment.

Psalm 97:10

10 Ye that love the Lord, hate evil: he preserveth the souls of his saints; he delivereth them out of the hand of the wicked.

Romans 12:9

Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

• I am working on humble stories that gently draw jaded, angry people who grew up in a jaded, angry world incrementally closer to Jesus, by portraying worlds in which good is good and evil is evil, and is undoubtedly the work of a merciful God who loves all humanity in spite of its faults, and I am also sure to portray Jesus as the Savior of all in any world I create, because He is also the Savior of me and far too important to be left out.

I do not expect you to agree with me. Clearly, Aslan the lion creating and ruling over a world intended only for animals and ruined by human tampering is not nearly explicitly enough related to God the Creator who made the Earth for humans which was ruined by Satan's tampering. And really, LOTR is rather large and complicated to sum up in a similar way, though I could, given a month's time to reread it and write a dissertation.

In short, I already know you see no value in works you have not personally vetted, and many things that other Christians find acceptable don't adhere to your standards. You are very attuned to all the possible ways a Christian or a non-Christian could take any message the wrong way and use it to point to their own "truth" instead of God's Truth.

You would undoubtedly hate all my stories. I am quite comfortable with that idea.

Have a lovely day.
  • Heh yeah, well said.. there is far too much of the enemy's worldview being repeated and then you go and regurgitate narnia & lotr are compatible with christian worldview.. again muslim's believe in a god(aslan was just a prophet..) judaism, mormonism, lds'ers, even catholics, are the same(not necessarily/literally.. you know what i mean) as demon's they believe in god. Acknowledging God as Lord is more worldly acceptable then the Christian worldview that Jesus Christ is Lord. This is why these books and "christian music" mention only God because other religions can go along and get along with the message, being that they too believe in God. But that doesn't make it Christian, that makes it religious, spiritual, occultic -whatever. What sets us apart is this:

John 14:6

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

and if you want to make a Christian comic it has to glorify Jesus Christ Yeshua HaMashiach otherwise it's not Christian. But i get why it is what it is,

1 Corinthians 12:3

Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

• Well said, Paula.

• This is a great topic :) I've also been mulling this over, and I think that there are two goals we're trying to reach here, which may contribute to some confusion. A Christian comic, per se, may not be able to reach lost people very effectively, because it's geared towards people who already know Christ. That looks pretty weird and rather irrelevant to outsiders in most cases. But if one purpose of us being Christian creators is to spread the Gospel to the lost, then we also will be creating stories that are not bound by genre, but rather are bound (or unleashed, depending on your POV) by our worldview as Christians.
    In this world, there is far too much of the enemy's worldview - and it gets repeated so often that people believe it must be so. Destruction and hopelessness and an obsession with "getting ahead" - we were all duped, buying into this garbage. Jesus showed us something radically different. If, in whatever story we choose to tell, the plot works according to His system and not ours and not the enemy's, then we have succeeded in telling a story that may not be overtly "Christian" in plot, but that still acknowledges God as Lord and is therefore compatible with the Christian worldview.
    By the way, I do believe that both CS Lewis and Tolkien accomplished this. You can turn up your nose at their personal theology if you like, but the Narnia books and LOTR both affirm that God is Lord and God is good to various degrees. Unlike, say, the Golden Compass, which indulges in the "God is evil, Satan was right to rebel" trope. Not to mention the countless books (that I even love, otherwise!) that promote the ideas that good and evil are equal, or morality is some construct of humans alone, or that there are two mindless, immensely powerful gods out there just endlessly bashing at each other without caring in the least about the rest of the universe. I'm worried about the authors of these books - these souls gifted with amazing talent, unthinkingly echoing the lies of the prince of the air, unable to acknowledge the One who gave them their gifts in the first place.
    As it is, we are among the relative few in possession of both gifts and truth. It's a big responsibility, and each of us should consider the purpose and effect of each of our creations.
    http://Christians.In/
  • "Some styles and plots are and should be out of bounds."

Absolutely.

• Concrete examples of "outside the box"?  I agree with Sir Crespo: it could be a million different stories if they're skillfully told.  I thought I might at least come up a short list of stupid ideas that shouldn't be tried, but I can't even do that.  Almost every plot concept for a kids movie(my favorite genre) for the last twenty years, I thought was so stupid that I wouldn't go see them until I heard so many glowing reviews I had to go; same with kids books. It's not that theme and plot are unimportant, they're really important...its just that most viewer/readers tie into believable characters first.

Choice of plot/situation/style will could buy you 60 seconds of attention a certain type of viewer.  A quarter of my high school students will pick-up and Manga style Student-based romance or horror and leaf through the first couple of pages, less than one percent would even pick up a comic with photo-realistic style art, history or science.  Ironically, my comic is a historical Anthro, and my best done 'splash-shots' only attract a handful of glances/month from my students <sigh>...but I'd rather fall on my pencil than illustrate a Manga Style High school romance.  Gotta' be true to the Holy Spirit inside you.

A nod to Aleka's well chosen scriptures: Some styles and plots are and should be out of bounds.

Steven Bakai said:

How about concrete ideas? We are all aware of the situation of Christian comics (not passing judgment) so I would like to ask for concrete examples of "thinking outside the box"

What kind of stories do you have in mind? There is a vast pool of creativity that we can drink from and pass the cup so that all of us might add to each others ideas.

Working idea
    Anyone interested in discussing ideas for a Christian comic. My thinking is to use stories from the Bible but place them into a sci-fi context (a Sta…
  • Steven...

It could be anything! Anything at all!

A historical tale? Did you know that there were Christians who suffered under Pol Pot's murderous Khmer Rouge in the 70's? They had to be COMPLETELY undercover in a land filled with blatant idolatry, and genocidal lunacy. What was that like?

It could be fantasy: an old man who finds something in a pile of ashes that is all that was left of a slayed dragon...

Western: An criminal boss, a stranger, and a woman who is resolved to save... what? An orphanage? Her farm? An indian?

It could be horror: Why are normal people turning into crazed killers, and how can I get home?

It could be ANYTHING!! And inject a Christian into the mix, and see what happens. Or a person wrestles with the feeling that there is something better in world/life that they have always known... but on Mars! Or in another dimension, or in the future, the past, Wyoming... who knows?

How does righteousness behave or develop in any setting you can imagine, and world you can create?

My ultimate point is BE FREE to create freely.

This reply was deleted.