CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

New Comic Company Idea

Hello Everyone!This discussion is to drum up some interest and to see if anyone out there might have some ideas/comments.Anyone out there interested in helping create/build a christian comic company that goes against the grain? First off, let me state that I have nothing against the christian companies out there now. You guys keep up the great work and keep pushing! I just want to take an avenue that no one else seems to want to travel on. I am curious if anyone else out there in christian comic land is on the same page I am.I am looking to create something that can sit on a shelf in a regular comic store and attract someone who would never buy anything remotely christian. Think Image Comics back in 1992. They jumped ship and created something that was different and pushed the envelope for comics. I want to do that with the christian industry. I would love to have a handful of different titles/characters with excellent art, writing, etc. I want this to be different from everything out there. Not necessarily looking for comics based off scriptures and bible stories. Although, I do want that involved! I am looking for everyday events, personal struggles, things that normal people deal with, but layed out and depicted in a very unique way. To take those everyday things and relate them to christianity. Whether this calls for cartoon/fun storytelling or extreme/graphic/violent storytelling that is fine. I am not looking for sugar coating, I am looking put out there what is "real".For example, Mel Gibson portrayal of Christ in his film was fantastic. Yes, it was violent, graphic, and bloody, but it made an extreme impact and really delivered the message. This is what I am looking to do with this idea. No, I don't want all blood, etc. I just don't want to hold anything back. I just want to give the reader top notch art, great writing, and something that pushes them to want to keep reading. A deeper meaning, if you will.Obvisously, I realize a lot of christians will not agree with this style I am sure. But, that is fine. I am not really doing this for "christians". There is a massive market out there in comic land that is very anti-christian. Those are the people I need to reach.I was a musician in a christian band for about six years and had many christians/churches tell us were too "extreme", or not "contemporary" enough. But, we made an impact on many kids lives. Many that I still hear from today through emails, etc. We weren't trying to change the church/religion, we were trying to change the people who would never come to those establishments. Those are the people that need help. Many people forget that.So, if anyone out there is interested, please let me know! I look forward to hearing from you. And to everyone, keep up the great work! I am so glad I found this site. It has been an inspiration to find other christian comic enthusiasts out there! God Bless.

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Buzz. It's a weird feeling to me to hear you say 'We can stop doing conversion stories'. I just read 'Serenity' #9, and found it very moving, because 'Serenity', is, among other things, a conversion story. I think of Conversion stories, at least fictional ones, as testimonies from characters that I love. For example, Connie Kendall's conversion in 'Adventures in Odyssey' remains one of my all time favorite stories in any medium. As long as there are new characters I can grow to love, I won't get tired of Conversion Stories, which are as much about Jesus as they are about the characters themselves.
  • Oy. I probably shouldn't comment on this thread.

But why is it everyone is so eager to put out "gritty" and "more gritty" when...the fastest growing readership in comics right now is FEMALE, and they are flocking to the Japanese girl's comics???

Where are the people who are interested in doing Christian comics for girls, that deal with romance, fantasy, slice of life that's not "gritty?"

Am I the only voice crying in the wilderness about this??

Okay, off my soapbox.
    • I think it is fine that you posted here, it is always good when you are trying to come up with concepts to hear different points of view, or at least I think so. I understand where you are coming from and see your point. I always felt like women, ladies, girls get left out and they need something that deals with them in some way but it does not have to be "fluffy" either. I feel as if not all females what that kind of thing. I like to think that the females of this time period what to feel empowered and that they have the ability to do anything a male can do and still maintain their feminine ways.

That is why one the comic book ideas I have is for an international organized group that fights terrorism and the main operative group is five females. I plan on letting the women be strong but through the book hit issues that women have in the day to day world as well as how to survive in a "male" dominated "job." I would like to think that I could incorporate female needs but at the same time let them feel strong and encourage them to do all that God has planned for them boldly and without fear.
    • I hear people say 'Draw what you love to draw', and I guess a lot of the guys that are attracted to the movement like 'gritty'. Personally I'd like to see a lot more scripture and Jesus in Christian comics. Your comic is called 'Elysium Dreams', isn't it? I think Bud Rogers show cased it on the Zondervan site. I would buy a copy, even if I'm not a young girl. But it's great that you have a vision for Christian comics that is fairly unique, how exciting!
  • Shawn, I think the idea is a good one. I love comics as well and would love to see more Christian based work out there. I have always thought that a Christian comic does not have to be quoting scripture throughout the book to reach a secular community. In fact, I have seen that to be a turn off in the secular world. It is great for Christian families that want their kids to have something comic book like to read and I support that. My son has all 25 issues of Power Mark. I would love to see something like this really take off. I am an artist but I have a great imagination and though I don't write well I can brainstorm new ideas.

I had a similar idea that I sent in to the ICCC2. I have posted it, it is called The Armor. I am currently working on something for kids that is like a modern superhero version of the heroes of the Bible called The Guard. I also have a large supply of original characters that range from the silly (Plastic Man) to the galactic (Green Lantern Corp or Nova Corp) and everything in between. I was hoping to use them someday. I have 5 book ideas and characters to support them. One deals with evolution and man-made creation versus a single creator. Another deals with an International group of heroes combating terrorism and trying to save the world from itself, it could very easily incorporate some Christian values or conflicts in living in the world of today.

So drop me a line and let me know what you think of my work and stay in contact.

God's blessing over this entire site and all that venture in.
  • I would be interested in discussing this further with you Shawn. I am currently developing a line of RPGs that will launch beginning Spring of 2009. Every world setting is a Harsh Reality. A dark and hopeless place to try to survive. The Player Characters are to be heroes (highly encouraged) who have the opportunity to hear the Gospel and make a life-changing decision while playing the game. The intention is to open conversational avenues for the players to explore the Bible and to (hopefully) become saved themselves if they are not already.
    I started this venture 4 years ago with a very small staff and even more limited budget, but my ultimate goal with Harsh Realities is to present the material in as many various media as possible. This includes my first love of comic books.
    I have well over a dozen stories to tell, some of which are even already scripted. They may need to be edited and updated from their dusty origins, but I feel there are a few gems in there that strike the same cord you mentioned above. There's a market here to be targeted, and I don't necessarily mean financial gains either. I feel that many people would at least read one issue of a good book that was well written and had awesome artwork. In that respect, I would be more useful in ideas and rough plots, but I'm not a writer. I can, however, offer my artwork possibly, but we would have to talk that over more. :)
    Pray about it and then hit me up with a note or email and let's see what happens.
    God Bless,
    Harsh
    www.harshweb.com
    拉菲登陆_首页
    深圳市奔瑞汽车用品有限公司
  • Interested. Gritty and dark is just my style of art.
  • I would be interested well.

But my comics won't be ready late 2010. I still redesign my characters and keeps changing storyline so many times. My comics going to be similar idea likes Supernatural, Witchblade and Darkness. PG-17 rated.
  • Hey Shawn I tried to sen you a meesage but it won't go through.
  • I would be interested! :D
This reply was deleted.