CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Character name and Copy Rights

Hey all,

I've not been around here much for a couple years mostly because I haven't had anything relevant to comics to say or do. But now I am partnering with a great ministry and we are launching a web comic that we hope to work into print and possibly branch out to other media some day if it gathers an audience.

My big question is that all of the material is all original, but a couple names fall into the previously used category and this is concerning my partners. The biggest concern is a character named The Spectre, who is a shadow-dwelling street-level hero, and nothing at all like DC's Spectre in looks or powers. I personally don't see an issue since it is not the name of the comic series, but as I said, the partners are twitchy about it.

Another name I am using is Sentinel, which I chose after heavy searching through various thesaurus because I wanted the character to be a protector or guardian type. Sentinel seems fairly unfamiliar to me as a hero name.

So my big question to you all is this: Does it really matter (given that there is nothing new under the sun - I.e. it's all be done before) that the names of characters are the same as other characters from other companies as long as they are distinctly not a knock-off?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Harsh

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yes, sir. Good find. I use it often. Thanks for thinking of me!

• Harsh found this and though it might help. I am using it now to name various angels and demons that will appear in my graphic novel. But it generates all kinds of names.

http://www.seventhsanctum.com/index-supe.php

• Sure! Sorry about that.

http://www.christiancomicarts.com/photo/albums/worldview-warriors

and the actual web comic is being hosted at:

http://wvwcomic.blogspot.com/

Worldview Warriors
    This is the new web comic I am working on. It's already launched, but it will be slow going at the start until we can gather more of a following. Upd…
  • got a link?

• lol, I created a photo album yesterday for the web comic. It's entitled Worldview Warriors.

• Well, with all this banter WHERE IS THE SAMPLE ARTWORK and such!

• Yeah, I know there is a following for the more 'realistic' approach (a la Heroes or the like), but this story and world is more of a throwback to the late silver early iron age of a Marvel-like universe. It's where I have always envisioned the story being. It just makes sense and gives just enough removal from reality to be a great story telling vehicle. My style is not ultra realistic in either look or story, so I think it best serves the story to be more of a super hero book than trying to marry reality to it too much. Thanks for the input though. This is turning out to be a great conversation.

•    I agree... unless the name is part of what he/she is trying to accomplish. For instance...

I don't know why this came to mind, but in the '80s there was a film called "Turk 182", and (I think) it was about a fireman who gets severely injured, and consequently gets the shaft by the city when it comes to some treatment, or something concerning his condition. (I'm doing this completely by memory, and haven't seen the movie in at least 25 years, so I may have the details totally confused.) So... the fireman's younger brother begins a campaign of vandalism in order to raise awareness of his brother's plight.

The words "Turk 182" are plastered everywhere, which was his brother's badge number, and is what the vandal eventually becomes known as.

That is a very cool idea. The very mention of is name comes with a message. It's not just a goofy name like "Quasar" or "Power Man", but one that itself is a message like "The Punisher".

Or... a name that is descriptive for lack of an official name works, like "The Hulk" or "The Swamp-Thing". I mean, if they don't talk much, what else would you call them?

Those at least make sense... but no name at all is the best, I would say.

Although, you may run into situations where you have people reacting to the character busting through a wall by saying: Oh no! Here comes... Bob!

Mmmm... not so cool.

• Buzz brings up an excellent point. I like comics that come from that angle. I don't care too much for the use of outlandish costumes with logos on the chest, unless there is a valid story point or reason. I also use "super hero" names as nick-names or call signs for my characters. 

• Glad to hear that you are working through it. You can always start out with the original names and then create plot points, story twists and reasons why the characters changed names... I am expecting great things brother!

This reply was deleted.