CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS
I've been thinking of doing a move on man's first interactions with canines and how they decided to team up with each other...but with all the prehistoric movies coming out it's hard to think of a captivating spot to have this in...Having them team up while journeying through the Bering Strait is a worn out concept thanks to Blue Sky....Middle East? Nah...Siberia? Well it would look different...the best I could come up with was having the last group of Indians who immigrated to america after the ice age domesticate dogs aloung the way...but apparently they sailed across the pacific on canoes and that's not much room there to train even their own kind...

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I had a thought: Dogs were originally scavengers who, according to science, found men were quick to throw out their scraps. why not set your story in Ur of the Chaldees? It would make for a good tie-in with the story of Abraham.

• Maybe you could take a look at the Brother Bear animated movies from Disney? They seem to deal with the same sort of idea.

• Why not the Middle East? Or a combination of different places, with different types of dogs, at each stage of human development. Keep in mind, though, that the climate may have been different thousands of years ago.
    • Well I should've been more specific but 10,000BC has already taken the Middle East. I know they probably developed dogs and found them more useful than Native Americans or Asains for that matter back then (though most ethnic communists in the CA continue to dispute that "white people" owe everything they claim to have invented or discovered or even concieved of to the advanced civilizations of the...non-white people), but I don't like to even feel like I'm imitating a franchise rather than coming up with something origional or be ignored because the public thinks the franchise if filled up (I have the same worry still about my "Kris Kringle" fantasy story, Santa's probably going to cease to exist in conversation around the holidays pretty soon)...
    • Don't worry too much about the setting. That is in the far future. If you live in Bay Area California, and you want to use the landscape there as inspiration and material, pick any warm climate area of the world.

Don't let your ideas be spoilt by worrying about the target audience at this point. If God is your inspiration and your audience, it hardly matters what a bunch of theoretically-existing strangers think.

(Being the weird person I am, I would be tempted to make a poster with the caveman's family gathered around the dinner boulder, with the caveman coaxing a pudgy dog toward a big clay cooking pot, the caption being "Early Dog: Main Course." Good thing I'm not handling this project! LOL!)
    • I think I might have done the same thing, Spike. Maybe it would have said "Early Dog: the other white meat."

Seriously, let God lead you in this. He'll show you what to do. Sometimes things develop better as you work on them, so just go for it.
    • Heh right now I should just go to bed....I'm too tired to think anything I do right now will have any postivie result....
    • Going to bed and sleeping will have a positive result. : )
      Good night!
  • I like the idea of starting with Adam since man was given charge over all of the animals, but I think that if you're trying to capture a moment of man and canine befriending each other I think you should go with a cold climate region. That gives you the opportunity for them to rely on each other for survival, time for them to build trust, and best of all snow is easier to draw than tropical plants! :)

Kyle
    • Yeah, definitely give it some thought my friend. I think this could be a potentially good story to write. Perhaps this could take place after the Tower of Babel or something. (Just throwing out ideas).
This reply was deleted.