CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Draw-overs

Hey, if you guys want critiques of your drawings, post a pic here in the thread, and the others (that's right, I'm blindly committing the other people to help out) can help by doing draw-overs.If you're having trouble getting a drawing right, just post what you've got, and we can help out by posting our ideas/suggestions, drawn over the top of your image. Maybe this will be easier than trying to go to everyone's individual pages to track down the stuff.Just make sure to explain what areas you want/need help with, and whomever has an idea can post it.Peace!~Randy

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'm a little curious. With two of the draw-overs, you have talked about "straights" versus "curves." I notice that in most comic books, super-heroes tend to be drawn more, shall we say, realistically, which means more like what you would see in the latest "Pumping Iron" magazine. And most of those guys have curves. Whereas, the latest look in animation tends toward the Animated Batman style of Bruce Timm, which tends toward the "straights."

It appears to me that you are leaning more towards the animation style rather than the comic book style. Although I personally prefer the animation style, I'm concerned that you are tossing off the preferred "curves" style that is prevelant in comic books. It's not as stylized (I prefer stylized to "realistic" art) but it is what is being done now in the comics. I'm just concerned that in your obvious concern to direct artists away from overdoing it on curves, you're manouvering them into an art style that's more suited for animation than comics.

IMHO, of course. This is just an observation on my part. I don't draw superheroes, so maybe I shouldn't put my two cents in.
    • Hey, Kathleen, thanks for commenting. I see what you're saying.

I do tend to put a lot of exaggeration in the drawovers I do, so those straights and curves are very animation-friendly.

My point in doing them that way is not to limit what other artists do, but rather to show the point more clearly. None of the draw-overs are really intended as finished drawings. I mean them simply as clearer expressions of how to get started. I push them to very simple straights and curves, so that the artist can see the abstract idea, and begin utilizing it in their own work, whatever their style.

I don't intend to teach a particular style, but rather an abstract point. Straights vs. curves is a sort of "checkpoint" for drawings in any style. It's a good thing to look for if you're having problems in a drawing, and it's a principle that a lot of young artists miss. The "pumping iron" style you refer to, and even good life drawing, will vary straighter lines against curving ones. It's just that they're being more subtle about it.

Thanks for mentioning that, though. I realize now that I didn't exactly make that distinction (between the principle and the "style") clear before, so thanks for affording me the opportunity.

~R
  • Wonderfull Randy, thank you. When you say about to try several pose very quickly it's like in your blog with the samson process that you've done in 2007
    • Yeah thanks Randy! We've really got a session starting up here!

(Think you could try to convince ol' Tom and Rob to also get their mentoring on for me?)
    • Just talk to em yourself, man! They don't bite! :)

~R
  • Hello Randy, I hope you're still willing to help. Here one of my draw and I would like to know how can I ameliorated it? I try the manga style (Lost Canvas of Saint Seiya, I don't know if you know it) for the body, the face and for the armor too but I have some difficulties to make it. What do you think? Thank you

3884018670?profile=original

• Okay so the full-size file is attached. Open that and you can read all the notes better. I'm not really familiar with drawing manga style, so I'm just going to comment more on the basics you can work on in any style. Also be sure to look over what I drew for Baron about straights vs. curves. This will help your work in the future. I did a couple of drawings, just basically outlining the character and how you might pose him in more fun ways. I also included some simple things you can do to improve this drawing, if you want to spruce it up. It seems like you're doing a nice job of keeping things in proportion, except for the arms, but you can fix that pretty easy. The other main thing is the lower part of the legs. Standing them really straight like that isn't really lifelike. It also makes him feel a little girlish, rather than heroic. Pull the feet apart like in the drawings, and you'll like the drawing a lot better, I think. Seems like you took some time to get the details of his costume right, and that's good. But it's better if you can get his pose and his attitude right, before going on to details. Don't be afraid to try several poses really quickly with stick figures before doing all the details. I promise it gets really fun doing those kinds of drawings. I used to avoid doing stick figures (what pros call gesture drawings), but the more my teachers made me do it, the better my drawings got. I hope my drawings help! Be sure to post your new drawings, or your fixes for this drawing, if you get the chance. And check this book out at the library or bookstore: http://www.amazon.com/How-Draw-Comics-Marvel-Way/dp/0671530771/ref=... ~R

iraphat_manga.jpg

• Thanks for crits Randy! I was looking at a picture when I did this. (this one to be exact: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/137/350999145_269fe46a4b_o.jpg)

But I wasn't really copying it pry-tell... I did as I regularly do, start off with a head structure and progress. Though I did take notices of some of the details from the other pic. But, all that you said is true and I will try to take it in consideration the next time I draw.

Oh, and thanks for suggesting this website to me... For a long time I really didn't draw that much, but after you replied on my other picture I started to draw some pics of straight vs curved and I realized... I haven't drawn in so long, I forgot most of the basics... So I have to say thanks to CCAS. Sense becoming a member I've been drawing everyday now and I've been reading some "how to draw comic" books, and just stepping up my game a little.
    • Okay, I guess it's just the size of the scan that isn't letting your underdrawing show up. Guess I was wrong about the copying thing.

Glad CCAS is helping you out thus far. Keep posting, I'm looking forward to seeing your new stuff.

~R
  • I'm not a professional, so I guess that makes me an amateur? Right? Anyhow, amateur here, I need some comments/crits for these to pics:

Drawn

Inked What do you guys think?
This reply was deleted.