CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

IDEAS FOR GAMES

So I've been thinking about my own ideas for games that are faith-based but not overly cheesy. I was thinking heavily on the matter one day writing down some storylines, and I believe that GOD told me that games need to be captivating as well as carry a message. With next-gen systems out there and the great games we already love to play how can we as believers come together to create a totally SICK!!!! Game, that in the end expresses the love of GOD and his call to repentance for all mankind, that doesn't get the critics throwing soda at us for creating another 'bible-star throwing' game? Let me know what's on your minds!!!

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I had this idea of an RPG game, where its some how mixes hack and slash with turn based. No, not like super mario RPGS, but something in between final fantasy and Kingdom hearts. How its christian related is how much you believe in your self and its sort of towards when revelation happens (because thats where faith is really tested). With the technology of brain power (like star wars and controling people with the brain), how about using that in the RPG. Mainly for the power bar, if it feels your blood pressure is running low as in your not believing in yourself, you heal alot slower or your power is less, and vice versa for excitement and well concentrated. Theres also an option where a person can pray if she is in need, and its a random chance if God answers your prayer (because we can't know all of God's actions.), and its also random what he does (because we know that God works his miracles differently then he thinks).  Also, the person can pray before battle (part of praying before we eat thing). Its kind of based on a story I wrote too, but thats a little secret Im not letting out, but even so, I can bring forth those characters too since its based on that story.

• This is something i give a lot of thought to. I think it would be great to have great, adult oriented games. I love the Vegetales and Larryboy to, but every now and then you need some meat and potatoes. :) I'd love to see a christian game in every genre: Racing, fighting, platformer, sports, Survival horror. I think it can be done.

The racing game could be like F-Zero, only with time machines that race through biblical scenery.

The fighting game could be like Puzzle fighter, where you land hits by solving the puzzle. Or even like the Fighting in the PC Monkey Island, where you land blows by coming up with clever quips, only they could be Bible verses.

Platformers are probrably the easiest. You can really do anything.

Sports? Hmmm...... Maybe an RPG where every time a person has to make a decision the player has to engage in a game of Angels vs. Demons. Or it can be as simple as having a regular sports game with christian themes and events.

Survival Horror? Yes it possible. We just have to concetrate less on the gore and more on the real horror: People going to hell. You could play as a guy who has to keep death away from his friends while he has to try to find clues that will lead to them getting saved, all the while fighting off the Grim Reaper.
    • Yeah, don't get me wrong - I really like the Halo series. What's the mass appeal of this? Is it Master Chief? Or is it the epic story with amazing environments and a fun supporting cast? Weapon design is also pretty important too, as is balance of weapons. I do like the Monkey Island idea of landing blows with clever quips. The only problem I have with angels vs. demons story is that it would seem easy to take it in directions that have already been done (playstation had one I believe) like Frank Peretti's story line. You know, I really liked the depiction of angels in movies like The Nativity - in that they were obviously holy and awe inspiring, but not covered in golden armor with flaming swords and laser-beam eyes.
    • Halo? Its the story definetly. Halo is gonna be the Video game version of Star Wars or Lord of the Rings. But also getting together with friends and family and talking smack while whalin' on each other. I love family get togethers because of the Halo tournements. Me and my son just beat Timesplitters 3 and we had a great time and bonded and stuff. So the violence thing doesn't really bother me that much especially when you consider that people are crippled and killed in more "accepted" pastimes like football, or boxing.
      I don't think i've seen the Angels vs. demons thing before, but i haven't played a lot of Playstation games. And i'm not very familiar with the works of Frank Peretti.
      And Angels? I like different visual for different occasions. Warriors, Messangers, etc.

What we really need is a great Christian FPS. You would think that wouldn't be possible but i've heard good thing about Catchumen.
    • Man you guys are on point with a lot of things. I know one thing I have been wanting to do as a lead up to making games, is creating cgi short films on different biblical topics. I know one I would spend a lot of time doing spiritual warfare, that's what GOD has given me a lot of. I don't know about a FPS though. If anything it would have to be something like Elder Scrolls. I think a good game would be a modernized story of David on the run, like in the Old testement. Imagine escaping a crazed king, gather an army and allies along the way, getting better skills, building a city and then going to war...awesome.
      As gamers we know what is apealing and what not only sells but what creates a memorable game that will go down as a great game no matter what the story. I know I intend to make that game.
    • I'd agree with you on this last comment. The Old Testament era is so rich in ancient cultures, epic conflicts, and moral quandaries that it would be an excellent setting for an Elder Scrolls-like RPG.

Likewise, a game set in the first days of the Church - say, beginning at Pentecost and following an early Christian in doing missionary work, founding churches, and avoiding persecution by the authorities - or even during the persecution of the Church under Roman Emperor Nero - would present great possibilities.

While physical conflict could certainly be a part of such a game (especially in the Old Testament setting), there are lots of possibilities for non-combat drama. Companies like The Adventure Company are creating atmospheric games which are primarily concerned with mysteries, puzzles, and character interaction.

Still, it never hurts a game's marketing to include a good combat engine...

The thing I would add to the conversation is that I think it's important at the get-go to decide what it is you want to do with a "Christian game." What makes it "Christian"? Is it the setting? The theme? Whether it has Bible verses in it? What is the purpose for making the game? "Entertainment" needs to be the primary answer, of course - people don't buy games to be preached at, except in the case of specifically educational games - but what else?
    • Yeah, Like Sim-Church, or those Civilization games.

What makes a Game Christian? I think looking at the world and life though the christian mindset is what makes it christian. What makes people christian? Quoting Verses? Going to church? People become christians when they get saved and view the world anew. I think this new outlook is whats "christian". A game, or movie even, can have a Christian outlook and have nary a verse in it.
    • And people really don't want to be preached at no matter what. The lady that runs the ODDWORLD game company is very anti-consumerism. In an interview she said that if you get up on a soap-box, people will walk away. So she made the message in the Oddworld games more potent by using satire and irony. I think it worked pretty well, and its something Christian game makers could try.
  • Pretty awesome stuff Strad! I have to agree with you on the fact that there are a lot of negative games, but with beautiful graphics and intuative gameplay. I think that Christian creators need to do a lot of "outside the box" thinking. For example: Narnia by C.S. Lewis. Here is a fantasy based story with biblical elements within the characters and plots. Personally I believe that it is possible to create a high-octaine game that has white-knuckle madness with faith based elements in the characters and plots.

One idea that I had is a game called Angels: Heavens Elite. The story allows the player to play as a new angel in creation at the beginning of it all. You can pick your class of angel a little while later and progress through your 'training' in the realms of heavens in distant lands to become stronger and play an important part in the story of the fall of Lucifer. At the end of the game you see scenes from the next game which you battle through the ages against the fallen angels for the souls of men up to the present day. And then a third game after that.

A very nice trilogy if you ask me. I haven't worked on any ideas for the third game other than that it will be present day to the return of Christ and the armies of heaven to set up his kindgom on earth. I think it can work great because if game creators can create games where evil sets up kingdoms on earth why can't Jesus. I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't like it a first, but with intuative game play and action second to none it would be a huge sucess!
    • One of the biggest challenges to creating a game is finding a good story, interesting and unique characters to populate the story, and then - pulling together an awesome team that are really going to be able to deliver the product on time and share the belief and passion in the game. We've all seen plenty of terrible games (poorly constructed, delayed endlessly, or never come out). Even bad games with good stories that are nearly unplayable or not fun to interact with. Games by and large are different from movies because they're interactive. If the interactive experience isn't fun, interesting (good level design), and appealing to look out, beautiful to hear, and captivating in the story, it'll tank. Are there enough Christians out there in the various industries (Design, story-telling, management, coding, human relations, marketing) that could get this done?
This reply was deleted.