CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Westboro Baptist Church hates "nerds" too.

http://kotaku.com/5588292/hate-church-targets-comic+con

And heres what the church has to say about the San Diego comic con on their schedule, where they plan to protest July 22 from 1:15pm to 2:00pm on their website:

"San Diego Convention Center 111 W Harbor Dr. WBC to picket Comic Con 2010 at the San Diego Convention Center. Are you kidding?! If these people would spend even some of the energy that they spend on these comic books, reading the Bible, well no high hopes here. They have turned comic book characters into idols, and worship them they do! Isaiah 2:8 Their land also is full of idols; they worship the work of their own hands, that which their own fingers have made: 9 And the mean man boweth down, and the great man humbleth himself: therefore forgive them not. It is time to put away the silly vanities and turn to God like you mean it. The destruction of this nation is imminent - so start calling on Batman and Superman now, see if they can pull you from the mess that you have created with all your silly idolatry."

If any of you plan to go to the San Diego comic con on the 22nd, expect to see some of them there. Is it possible to show the protestors the truth? Or best to just leave them alone??

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hey Lee:

Paul is saying that even the children of God were "by nature the children of wrath" -- in other words, "workers of iniquity"-- "even as the others".   So Psalm 5 does not support your position as you would like it to as we were all workers of iniquity at an earlier time, yet even you must agree that God loved the elect before they turned to Him.  God's love comes first.  God loves even those He also, in some sense, hates.
    No, no, no, no. Workers of iniquity does not translate to everyone who has ever done a bad thing. The term 'workers of iniquity' is used commonly throughout Scripture:
    Psalms 92.5-9:"O Lord, how great are thy works! and thy thoughts are very deep. A brutish man knoweth not; neither doth a fool understand this. When the wicked spring as the grass, and when all the workers of iniquity do flourish; it is that they shall be destroyed forever: But thou, Lord, art most high forevermore. For, lo, thine enemies, O Lord, for, lo, thine enemies shall perish; all the workers of iniquity shall be scattered."
    Notice that the workers of iniquity are those who will be destroyed forever. They are made synonymous with God's enemies. They are never made synonymous with God's people, His children, His elect. We find the same term used again here:
    Matthew 7:21-23:"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."
    Again, we find that those who work iniquity stand apart from Christ. In no instance in Scripture is the term used to describe one who lived fun and fancy free, and is then saved. The term describes those who AREN'T and WON'T BE saved, who aren't the elect, who aren't loved. They are God's enemies, and as Scripture says, they are those who WILL be destroyed forever. And again:
    Psalms 14.4: "Have all the workers of iniquity no knowledge? who eat up my people [as] they eat bread, and call not upon the LORD."
    Note that the Psalmist CONTRASTS the workers of iniquity AGAINST His people. And, note further, the workers of iniquity do not call upon the Lord. How then can they be saved, if they do not call upon the name of the Lord?
    Psalms 141.4: "Incline not my heart to [any] evil thing, to practise wicked works with men that work iniquity: and let me not eat of their dainties."
    Note that our Psalmist is not worried about BECOMING a worker of iniquity, so much as he is worried about practicing wicked works WITH THEM. There is no instance of God telling the saints they can convert the workers of iniquity. There is no instance where God converted one called a worker of iniquity:
    Psalms 36.12: "There are the workers of iniquity fallen: they are cast down, and shall not be able to rise."
    Destruction MUST befall them:
    Proverbs 10.29: "The way of the LORD [is] strength to the upright: but destruction [shall be] to the workers of iniquity."
    So there you are. The workers of iniquity are those who will be destroyed, who are cast down with no hope of rising. They are God's enemies and those who God hates. They are not those of us who He elected to save.

Regarding Romans 9 and Paul referring to vessels of honour and dishonour, Paul writes more about these two groups in 2 Timothy...

You have to continually wrestle the plain meaning out of passages to fit the few select ones you've predetermined to have a place of preeminence, Sven.

You'll have to explain what these verses have to do with the topic at hand, and how they apparently aid your case. If anything, the verses clearly indicate that there are pots for honor and some to dishonor. If anything, they seem to indicate that there are those who are God's children, and those who aren't. And the verse preceding 2 Timothy 2:20, specifically 2:19, seems to clearly indicate that many are sealed and God knows they are sealed - that is, His children; that is, His elect; that is to say, His beloved.

I'm not sure what you mean by "envelopes" -- I don't believe I've ever said that nor do I want to assume your meaning.  But I don't need to infer God's love of the lost -- even those who will ultimately reject Him.  There's no need to infer what is plainly stated.  His sacrifice was the propitiation for our sins, and not only ours but for the whole (not part of) world.

Then the sins of the whole world should be reconciled. And if the sins of the whole world are reconciled, then nobody needs to believe in Jesus. If someone DOES need to believe in Jesus, and His purpose was to reconcile the whole world, then He has failed, according to you, because He didn't do that. So YOU need to reconcile what appears to be John's assertion that Christ has reconciled everybody - unless you believe Christ has reconciled everybody, in which case you're a Universalist (BOOOO!).

But if world means - as I said before, and as Strong's Concordance affirms, and Calvin underscores, and a whole host of theologians maintain - the elect, then the whole set of verses make complete sense and nobody has to tout Universalism (Christ saved everybody, period). If the world means, as Strong's defends, all of God's people (that is, all of His elect), then John is saying here that Christ not only died for the elect John was writing to, but all the elect everywhere. So my interpretation of John 3:16 fits here; NAY, fits better!

I wonder how many people -- yourself included -- have ever have read this in their initial reading as you've now come to understand it?  Not that this by itself tells us everything, but that it is certainly part of a fabric to consider.

This is an EXCELLENT question. I remember the first time I argued with a Calvinist. I was highly annoyed and bothered, just like you are (if you're not annoyed, you're far more patient than I am). And I remember us debating exactly on God's love. And when I came to John 3:16, it occurred to me that I could not use it as you have proposed it used. I knew then, even in my Arminian stage, that loving the World is not the same thing as loving everything that comprises it. Loving a bicycle as a whole, I knew, did not require me to love the pedal in particular. It is a LOGICAL FALLACY to suppose that the same characteristics that describe something as a whole, necessarily describe its particulars - Fallacy of Division (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_composition). It is equally fallacious to suppose that because someone loves the whole, he must very well love the parts. I dislike Oprah Winfrey, but I'm not emotionally invested enough to hate her liver. That is the earliest memory I have about John 3:16 and God's universal love - specifically, that I did not even consider it valid enough to use when I would have wanted to use it most. That, and Christ is talking to Nicodemus, a Jew, "a teacher of Israel," who, if he was anything like all of his cohorts, thought He was a savior of Israel exclusively. Christ says not that God loved Israel, but the World, the Jew and the Gentile. So we see that the 'World' can be understood generally, and relatively as opposed to absolutely - it is by no means necessary to take your translation.

God is not a trickster.  His Word is plain ... and simple.  We can take Him for what He means.
    Agreed. Which is why God hates the workers of iniquity, why some are fitted to destruction while others are sealed for glory, and why God loves some and hates others. I think my interpretation of John 3:16 is natural and fitting. When Buzz said that you can gain the world - that is, worldly power and worldly prestige - but lose your soul, he showed that some things are included in the term 'world' that God simply does not love - same with people.
  • There's a lot in your response. I simply cannot respond to all of it, but I will try to be charitable in addressing your points (I'll ignore all insinuations that I'm closeted or akin to an inbred cult :-P):

You claim that "God so loved the world" does not mean God loves all human beings, just the physical planet.

This is not entirely accurate. I provided, if I recall correctly, two options; if I didn't, then I recant what I said before, and offer the following: first, that the world kosmos can refer to believers exclusively. Strong's Concordance says that the word can mean "any aggregate or general collection of particulars of any sort", including "believers only," as in "John 1:29; 3:16; 3:17; 6:33; 12:47; 1 Corinthians 4:9; 2 Corinthians 5:19." The context would not only allow for this, but necessitate this, since it is not the people in the world (note how I said "people in the world" instead of "world," like most people do when referring to every single person) who are saved, but only those who "believeth in Christ," that is to say the elect, that is to say those whom God loves and causes to believe. The second option, which you're probably responding to, is that God loves the World, that is to say all of Creation in general.

Your thesis that the world does not include all humans makes Christ's mission absolute nonsense.  By your logic, Christ came & was crucified for a rock, a tree, a slug.  Because if the world in John 3:16 can't include all humans, then logically it can not include any humans.

I did not say that the world does not include all humans. Loving humanity does not necessitate that you love all humans. Loving the World as a whole, does not necessitate that you love all of its parts. That does not logically follow. I love my mother, but I'm not so invested in her kidney. If a friend tells me that she loves puppies, I would not therefore conclude that there was not a single puppy she hated. One can love a category or type or division without loving all the particulars enveloped under it. One can love the World IN GENERAL or AS A WHOLE without loving it in particular. You admit this, even if subconsciously, in your next response:

Why not?  I think Christ is saying exactly that:  What does it profit a man to gain everything this world has to offer -- wealth, power, position, prestige -- if it costs him his soul?

See what you did here? You interpreted World as encompassing worldly wealth, worldly power, worldly position, and worldly prestige. Are we therefore to assume that since God loves the World, He therefore loves those things? Of course not! And that is because God's loving the World does not necessitate that He loves EVERYTHING associated with the World. And so I'm back to saying, as I said before, that God's loving the World, does not necessitate that He loves everything or everyone in it.

You've got battalions of folks pointing out through Scripture all the places where you're wrong wrong WRONG and you just ignore them

I would say I've been faithful with addressing everyone's Scriptural references when people reference them. For the most part, I have addressed everyone point by point.

You don't teach by waving signs at people that are meant to inflame & upset.  And if Westboro only ministers to those who come to them genuinely, then they are either failing to do what Christ specifically told us to do, or they are saying Christ's teaching is false (and if they're saying Christ's teaching is false, then why are they claiming to be Christian?).

Let me rephrase, Westboro ministers to them who welcome their preaching (using the word come certainly does imply that they are the ones traveling to Westboro, and that isn't what I meant). This is sensible. Christ never attempted to minister to those who ostracized and mocked His message. Instead, as I recall, He called them white washed tombs, vipers, sons of Satan, etc.

False analogy.

It isn't. It is not any more wrong for a Church to concentrate on helping a particular people with a particular ailment, than it is for a Church to concentrate on railing against a particular people with a particular vice. Though like everyone has been saying, they've been adamantly opposing a lot of other things now.

But if that's the case, then wouldn't logic say the place to stage the protests are at recruiters offices?  Y'know, like before these guys sign up?

Logic says nothing except that an apple is an apple, an apple cannot be a non-apple, and either it is true that something is an apple or it is not true that it is an apple. If logic necessitated that we should fight something at its source, wouldn't it be better for you to rally against Westboro than debate with me on CCAS? :-P

So if one of their children fell in a creek & started drowning, they'd just let her die because after all, it must be what God wants?

Why would they assume that is what God wants?

The point I was trying to make was that if Westboro Church fails to win any souls, if it instead prevents people from coming to Christ/changing sinful behavior by making their hearts hard in direct contradiction of how Christ explicitly told them to witness to the lost then they are going to have nothing to show Him when He returns.

How did Christ explicitly tell them to witness to the lost? How is it in direct contradiction to what the Phelp's are doing? Scripture please!

Not everyone who claims to be straight who obsesses on "gay man sex" is really closeted and/or the victim of childhood rape.

But, man, a disproportionate number are.

It's one thing if a person or group bases their actions on what they understand Scripture to say.

It's another entirely if they pervert Scripture to hurt others so they can avoid the hurt they harbor in their hearts.

God doesn't want anyone to be hurt.

He loves everyone.

He wants them to be whole, healthy, and happy.

Heh, perhaps. Or maybe you're against Westboro because you are, in fact, actually gay, and they remind you how fallen you are. And so in order to avoid what Westboro has illuminated, you wrested with Scripture to pervert the personality of God to make Him more palatable. See how I turned that around on you? Who needs objective Scriptural reading and evidence, when the motivations and subjective experience of your opponent will do just fine? Now, I have not been raped by any burly men as a child (at least, to my knowledge), but if did, God's hate for the reprobate who He has created to destroy would still be a solid Scriptural truth. And I have not (again, to my knowledge) had sex with men, but even if I did, God hates those He has thrown in Hell, and loves those He has saved.

And, in any case, if I do have gay man sex, or rather, if I did, and Westboro prompted me to no longer engage in it, but instead to obey God, and follow Christ, would this not be an argument AGAINST you? If it is extremely likely or indicative TO YOU that I did have gay man sex, or gay man sex thoughts, because I defend Westboro, wouldn't that indicate that their methods are fruitful? Why would someone who has a particular thorn rally behind a group that vehemently and vitriolically speaks against people who revel in that thorn, unless they have convinced that person of his disease, and the only medicine capable of extinguishing it?  

• The Westboro group has gone into the traditional hate group territory as well; they've gotten increasingly anti-Semitic and have included signs with derogatory racial references.  They frequently mention the race of the people they oppose, as well.  The time I saw them (more than 15 years ago), when it became obvious that the gay slurs weren't getting a rise out of anyone, they switched to making references about affirmative action, then were actually started to get more explicitly racial when the police told them their time was up.  And, technically, they weren't screaming things--they had a bullhorn and one person at a time used it.  But they were indeed using the worst slurs they could about gays.  At an urban fair, where most of the attendees were families with small children.

Buzz Dixon said:

Sven, you enjoy hating, it's obvious.  From the way you twist Scripture around, interpreting it literally when it suits you, metaphorically when the facts slap you in the face, to the Rosemary Woods contortions you go through to twist & pervert the explicit teachings of our Lord and Master, that you don't give a rat's elbow for the Word if it means you can't get your jollies by spreading hate, hurt, & harm.

That's okay, m'man.  Embrace your inner bigot.  Fly your hate-monger flag high.  I'm assuming with a name like Sven you shouldn't have any trouble finding a berth with the Ku Klux Klan, the Aryan nation, or the Christian Identity Movement.

• Hi Sven,

I asked earlier:

Does scripture say God is hating those we are called to love, Sven?

You responded:

Yes, God hates the reprobate (Romans 9) and the workers of iniquity (Psalms 5:5).

You're very selective in your concern for context, Sven.  Yes, in this sense, God hates -- and let's see the whole of the verse....

Psa 5:5              The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.

Paul writes in Ephesians 2:3

Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

Paul is saying that even the children of God were "by nature the children of wrath" -- in other words, "workers of iniquity"-- "even as the others".   So Psalm 5 does not support your position as you would like it to as we were all workers of iniquity at an earlier time, yet even you must agree that God loved the elect before they turned to Him.  God's love comes first.  God loves even those He also, in some sense, hates.

Regarding Romans 9 and Paul referring to vessels of honour and dishonour, Paul writes more about these two groups in 2 Timothy...

2 Timothy 2:20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour.

2 Timothy 2:21  If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, [and] prepared unto every good work.

You have to continually wrestle the plain meaning out of passages to fit the few select ones you've predetermined to have a place of preeminence, Sven.

To Buzz, you wrote:

All patronization aside, John 3:16 does not say God loves everybody, each and everyone of us so much. It says God loves the World.

You're not being very consistent in your rendering of verses, Sven. Here you put "the world" into your incredible shrinking machine with no consideration of other verses like 1 John that say Jesus is the propitiation for the sins of "the world"?

1 John 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for [the sins of] the whole world.

"not for ours only, BUT also for the sins of THE WHOLE WORLD."

You wrote:

This does not imply that His love - the love that justifies, and sanctifies, and makes us one of His children  - envelopes the reprobate. It doesn't.

I'm not sure what you mean by "envelopes" -- I don't believe I've ever said that nor do I want to assume your meaning.  But I don't need to infer God's love of the lost -- even those who will ultimately reject Him.  There's no need to infer what is plainly stated.  His sacrifice was the propitiation for our sins, and not only ours but for the whole (not part of) world.

Lastly, regarding John 3:16, and your assertion that "world" doesn't mean "world" in the way that we read it.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

I wonder how many people -- yourself included -- have ever have read this in their initial reading as you've now come to understand it?  Not that this by itself tells us everything, but that it is certainly part of a fabric to consider.

I also wonder why -- if God meant world to only mean a very small select group within the world in the first part of the verse -- why He didn't simply then say, "... that THEY should not perish, but have everlasting life." "They" would have covered it nicely.

But, the plain understanding of language in this passage tells us there are two different groups being talked about -- one inclusive (World) and one that that becomes less inclusive by the phrase "whosoever believeth in Him."

God is not a trickster.  His Word is plain ... and simple.  We can take Him for what He means.

Kind Regards,

Lee

•  

So when Jesus says very specifically about Himself that He was sent because God the Father loved the world so much, it means that God loves the world enough to sacrifice Himself for it.

Not "God loves the nice people so much" or "God loves certain people so much" but God loves each & every one of us so much.

All patronization aside, John 3:16 does not say God loves everybody, each and everyone of us so much. It says God loves the World. Even when we use the word in today's language, the word 'World' does not necessitate 'every person and individual in the world.' When Al Gore says he loves the World, I do not have a reason to assume he means he loves each and every Republican. The Greek word kosmos may just as well mean cosmos, the world, all of Creation as a composite unity. And loving the World, does not necessitate that you love all the people inside of it. It is not redundant to say that every person in the world is male or female - because 'every person' and 'world' are not STRICTLY SYNONYMOUS. Strong's itself notes that kosmos can mean universe, or World. Even in other Scripture, we are to imagine that the speaker means the World, not an array of all individuals, each individually considered:

"For what does a man profit, if he should gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?"

No one imagines that Christ is asking what the man should profit if he should gain each and every individual in the world, as if Christ is asking us to imagine the ultimate slave trader. That's not what world means here. The word kosmos is, in fact, used in other instances of Scripture to mean EXCLUSIVELY the Gentiles contrasted against the Jews. Strong's says the word can mean the collection or aggregate of particulars of any sort.

And while He might hate & detest things that we do, He does not hate & detest us.

Yeah man, I would believe that too if I ignored all instances where God is said to explicitly hate someone, a truth trumpeted from the patriarchs, to the prophets, to Paul, to the Fathers, to Martin Luther, Calvin, and the Puritans. I've heard the felt board, Sunday school maxims about God loving the sinner but hating the sin, and I've relied on them long enough to find that there is nothing Scriptural in them.

Maybe they're right on some abstract metaphysical/ethical level, but real human beings see them screaming at families trying to bury they dead and don't say, "Wow, I wonder if there might be a connection between choices we make as individuals and as a society, and the ultimate spiritual disposition of our nation."
    The Phelps do not scream.
    So if a person screams, "God hates you 'cuz you're a homosexual!" he/she should not feign surprise when standing before the Throne to hear God say, "I hate it when people lie about Me and make it more difficult for the least of My children to be able to come to Me."

His Children will hear His voice. If I were going around having gay man sex, not knowing that God hated those who had gay man sex and that Hellfire was awaiting those who continued in such, I would be entirely appreciative and eternally thankful to the Phelp's. I would glorify God because He gave me ears to hear and eyes to see, and He gave me those who would not avoid telling me to repent for the sake of the Kingdom.

I keep getting this vibe of a lack of humility from the Westboro adherents, the assumption they know what's right & only they know what's right & they don't have to do anything except scream in hatred at people & God will pat them on their heads and tell them how special they are.

I mean, many people had a vibe that the early Christians were atheists, cannibals, reactionaries, and arsonists; so misrepresentation is par for the course, I suppose. They are a family who go out carrying signs in peaceful protest and who occasionally warble a song or two they made up. Screaming hatred and writhing about in a dervish frenzy just simply isn't a responsible characterization. And of course they believe they are right and that everyone else is wrong. Who has ever heard of someone believing something to be true which he or she believes to be false? Supposing that people are wrong if they disagree with you is what people do - there's nothing arrogant about that. If Christ was right, then Muhammad was wrong. If Jesus died for our sins, then people who say we aren't sinners are wrong. That's not arrogance; that's logic.

They don't have to feed the hungry or clothe the naked or bring the broken to Christ.  No, they do their duty by riding around the country, screaming in hate at people who do things they don't like, depending on the police to protect them from people who object to their message & tactics, then not staying to minister but hopping in their vehicles and tootling off.

They minister to those who come to them genuinely. If someone goes and abuses them, trolls them, etc., then they, like Christ, ostracize the swine. When I went to their church a few months back, they were nothing other than kind and welcoming, just as I expected them to be.

I'm curious, do they protest at political rallies?  Do they protest outside of banks foreclosing on people suckered into predatory loans?  Do they protest outside of prisons & courtrooms over the injustice done to innocent people who are railroaded for crimes they didn't commit?

Ahh, the old "An Appeal to They Don't Cry Against Every Worldly Evil Therefore We Can Shrug Off Anything Else They Say Fallacy". If a Church sends missionaries to Africa to help those infected with HIV/AIDs, but do not send missionaries to India to help feed the hungry, is the Church being disobedient? Of course not. Likewise, if Westboro decides that they are going to rally against one particular type of evil - if they see a need that is not being met in a particular instance of reproof - how is it any different? Why can we concentrate in the former case on providing a particular remedy; but we cannot concentrate in the latter case on providing a particular criticism? There is no Biblical injunction against it.

Have they ever marched onto a military bases & tried to prevent soldiers from being shipped overseas?  I mean, I know they think the war is bad.  Have they done anything at all to try and stop it?

Why would they stop what they believe God has started?

'Cuz remember the parable of the talents:  God is not going to be happy if they show up with only a muddy coin at the end of the day.

I believe that many people who appear to have the most to show for their lives, in fact have the least. And those who appear to have the least, have the most.

• Does scripture say God is hating those we are called to love, Sven?

Yes, God hates the reprobate (Romans 9) and the workers of iniquity (Psalms 5:5). And we are to be kind to the reprobate because our Father, who we are to resemble, bears with "much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction" (Romans 9:22) and He is "kind unto the unthankful and to the evil" (Luke 6:35), insomuch that He "maketh His sun to rise on the evil and the good" and "sendeth rain on the just and unjust" (Matthew 5:45). This does not imply that His love - the love that justifies, and sanctifies, and makes us one of His children  - envelopes the reprobate. It doesn't.

I have a loved one who has been in a cult for 35 years where a hatred and elitism similar to Westboro is preached.  In my opinion, their approach is born, in part, out of their very twisted view of election.  It leads to finger-pointing and judging that has no life in it.  In fact, the approach is a repellent that pushes people further away from the gospel.

Man, Christ says Himself that the way is narrow, that there are a bunch of tares amongst the wheat, and goats amongst the sheep, and false prophets we are to be wary of. He tells us not to give pearls to swine and holy things to dogs. The Proverbs and the Psalms are CONSTANTLY noting the differences between the foolish and the wise, and the evil and the righteous. The Word of God is a sea of dichotomies, and the trick isn't to abandon dichotomies altogether, but to critically examine everything, and hold on to what is good (1 Thessalonians 5:21). It is exactly by discerning the Word of God, and true children of God, that we find any edification whatsoever. It is exactly by judging righteously and finger pointing that we avoid damning heresies and unlawful liberties we take with Scripture in order to make it more palatable to the damned. Perhaps your relative is in a damning cult, but it isn't because they judge stringently and critically.

• Hi Kevin,

You wrote:

I just wanted to bring the conversation back to the specifics of what the Westboro group is actually preaching, rather than let the more abstract theological discussion unfairly give the impression that they represent any mainstream Calvinist or Arminian tradition or denomination other than their own immediate family circle.

That's a good point, Kevin.  In and early post, I referenced specifically those at the extreme end of some view of election (there are others besides hyper-Calvinists). If I've veered from that focus, forgive me.  My intent here isn't to argue for or against Arminianism (sp?) or  Calvanism (I count myself as neither) --  but against falsely teaching a hatred of people by God the bible doesn't teach (not to be confused with saying God doesn't hate). 

I have a loved one who has been in a cult for 35 years where a hatred and elitism similar to Westboro is preached.  In my opinion, their approach is born, in part, out of their very twisted view of election.  It leads to finger-pointing and judging that has no life in it.  In fact, the approach is a repellent that pushes people further away from the gospel. 

I don't think we can go wrong by trying to emulate the balance to our gospel preaching that we find in scripture. 

God bless you, Kevin

Lee

• Hi Sven,

You wrote:

He is, in fact, doing exactly that in this instance. He is telling man to express love, while He expresses vengeance. I don't think I'm wresting with Scripture here by saying that.

Does scripture say God is hating those we are called to love, Sven?

Matthew 5:43-48

43  "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44  But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, 45  that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. 46  For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47  And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so? 48  Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

Not only does Jesus tell us to love our enemies, but He tells us WHY -- because in doing so, we emulate the Father in heaven.  If we love only those who love us, verse 46 tells us we're no better than the tax collectors.  Jesus is clearly telling the people it is a higher love to love those who hate and curse you, "...that you may be sons of your Father in heaven", who blesses and does good to the just and unjust.

Any vengeance God may exact that leaves a man standing is mercy to the man.  In fact, I'm not even sure it can be called vengeance at all as it leaves the opportunity for repentance.  "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment" --Hebrews 9:27

God bless--
    Lee

• Buzz Dixon said:

While I disagree with Edwards' POV on this specific topic, I've no doubt it was sincere & logically thought out.

But, dang, "Sinners In The Hands Of An Angry God" is one of the greatest titles EVER.

I agree about the title. I think it could make a great comic book.

• Ribu John said:

Those kooky 5-points Hyper-Calvinists...

Long live Jacobus Arminius!

:-D     tee hee hee

I know this was meant as a joke, but I just want to point out that as a Calvinist who knows of a few self-described Hyper-Calvinists, I have yet to meet any that support the Westboro group's message or tactics.

I think it's interesting to note how a discussion about the Westboro group always seems to split into two almost unrelated conversations. One is the abstract theological discussion about mercy/judgment, free will/election, whatever. And the other conversation is about the practical discussion about the Westboro tactics themselves. And it's the latter, not the former, that I personally find more perplexing.

Regardless of what we may think of the theology behind Johnathan Edwards' famous "Sinners in the hands of an angry God" sermon, at least its basic message is recognizable as the Gospel. That is: Jesus Christ died to save sinners like you and me!

But Fred Phelps is no Johnathan Edwards. What exactly is the gospel message one is supposed to draw from standing at someone's funeral with a sign reading: "Thank God for dead soldiers"? Or "Thank God for AIDS"? What purpose does that serve?

If God Himself declares through Ezekiel that He "takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked", what does it say about Westboro that their picket signs proclaim their pleasure not just in the death of the "wicked" but also in the death/maiming of soldiers following their lawful duties ("Thank God for IEDs") or in the death of 3000 innocent civilians ("Thank God for Sept.11")? Whatever message they are trying to communicate through these publicity stunts, it is unrecognizable to me as the Gospel.

I just wanted to bring the conversation back to the specifics of what the Westboro group is actually preaching, rather than let the more abstract theological discussion unfairly give the impression that they represent any mainstream Calvinist or Arminian tradition or denomination other than their own immediate family circle.
This reply was deleted.