CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Something to consiter about darkness

I read a lot of fantasy, play fantasy video games, enjoy a few fantasy movies and there is one common theme I keep coming across in many new fantasy stories. A lot of authors are sort-of playing off the old philosophy of the yin and the yang. They like to say that darkness and light are one in the same, and cannot exist without each other. Okay, what is a common synonym for darkness? Evil. And light is generally considered good. So is it true that darkness and evil are in a symbiotic relationship with light and good? Good cannot be without evil to play off of? If there were no evil, and everyone was good then there really is no good? I say no. No way.Tell me what you think and why, because I'm starting to see this everywhere. It's becoming a bit more than a cliché.

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank you both for you comments. It's like you guys are reading my mind because your saying exactly what I'm thinking. Well, your actually typing it, but you get the point. :)
  • Well, there certainly is something to be said about light and darkness. How would we know how strong our God is, if He did not save us from the darkest of sins? I don't believe you have to have one for the other to exist. But, I believe that because of Darkness, we all have a reason to appreciate God's Light because of the difference.

Now, the one thing I do not agree with is Yin/Yang. Yin/Yang, if I'm not mistaken, says that dark and light are complementary. As one wanes, the other strengthens. This is against the teaching of the Bible. God is the ultimate right, and does not need the Devil to exist. God does not become stronger as evil wanes. Indeed, God's strength, rule and authority are absolute. Yin/Yang is a chinese belief that is the foundation for many cultist views.

It's just a prime example how, if you take a truth an twist it ever so slightly, you end up with something terribly wrong.
    views.it
  • You are right of course. 'Good is the opposite of evil' is a very incomplete definition. Good has definite qualities such as love, hope, patience, and others that do not require evil for their existence. A universe without evil will be wonderful, purely, and wholly good:) Well, at least, that is what I think.

God bless you Casey,
    Gerry Lee
This reply was deleted.