CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Okay, so I'm clearly not quite old enough yet to go to college yet, but the time is approaching and my Mom and I have been looking into several art schools which include the Joe Kubert School in Dover, NJ; the Center for Cartoon Studies in Vermont, and Gnomon School of Visual Effects in California (Which can also be done online). So, I would like to hear back from those of you with more experience in this area, or maybe even very little experience at all. I just want some input on these art schools, other art schools, pros and cons, and as a Christian (who also may want to preach as well as be an artist) whether or not I should attend a Bible college and whether I should be more careful on what school I choose based on how much of a Christian Influence there is there and whether or not the majority is into drugs/etc. I'm new to all this, so please be patient with me. All advice, good and bad, will be appreciated! Thank you.

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• When it comes to school, I think it is necessary because you'll have structure and a good foundation when it comes to your learning.  With me, before school, it would take me a looooong time to draw a masterpiece.  Probably a week.  I would have to torture myself to get one good impressive piece of work to come out of me.  A pic that I drew of Spider-Man and Hob-Goblin on my page here on this site  I drew when I was in Highschool.  It took me a week to just come up with the idea alone.  And another week to sketch, and another week for what ever else that needed to be done for that piece.  But in my defense I would work on it little by little in between homework and chores that my mom gave me.  But.....when I went to an art college, and learned what I needed to learn, now what would take me a month to do I can draw in about 20 minutes to an hour now, and it's of the same quality and even better than what my younger self could have accomplished.  Trust me when I say if you are looking to be a professional business freelancer or if you are looking to be an elite artist.  You have to get the knowledge.  Knowledge is power. 

I'm doing my best to keep it simple, so I would say take some business classes also. But when it comes to the college you should choose.... you know what you like and don't like. You know your preferences.  Use wisdom when making your choice.  Price. Graduation job placement.  And what's important to me is what type of artist are they putting out.  You can tell if the teaching is good based on the quality of the work of the students, but that's my own opinion.  Take a figure drawing class too.  To me that is most important because once you take figure drawing, you learn the techniques needed to draw anything else.  If you haven't already.  Your skill level should increase noticeably. I hope I helped.  Later momma.

• I don't know your future, but your art has a real beauty and intensity to it. 

Robert Stimpson said:

Yeah, I attended school for illustration, but was forced to withdraw to care for my folks. I'd love to be able to start a career in Illustration (I'd love to do Christian Art or Sci-Fi), but I've been told "you cannot make a living at it" when I tried to restart my attempt at it.

So...what about art school?
    Okay, so I'm clearly not quite old enough yet to go to college yet, but the time is approaching and my Mom and I have been looking into several art s…
  • that's a great website Steve.  one I look at fairly often.

Steve Crespo said:

"You cannot make a living at it."

"Cannot"? I don't agree. ...Is it hard? Yes. Is it impossible? No.

Obviously, many people make a living in the arts. It takes determination, and dedication, but there are many challenges. And lots of competition.

An honest assessment of your skills, and your niche is necessary. You must be real with yourself. And I think you must have a willingness to diversify.

It can be done.

Check out the blog Muddy Colors. (http://muddycolors.blogspot.com) These are professional illustrators in the field, and they give lots of tips on finding work, and all aspects of freelance illustration. 

You can learn without schooling if formal schooling is not possible. The info is out there, and many people are willing to help if you just approach them.

All the best. Don't give up. God bless.

So...what about art school?
    Okay, so I'm clearly not quite old enough yet to go to college yet, but the time is approaching and my Mom and I have been looking into several art s…
  • "You cannot make a living at it."

"Cannot"? I don't agree. ...Is it hard? Yes. Is it impossible? No.

Obviously, many people make a living in the arts. It takes determination, and dedication, but there are many challenges. And lots of competition.

An honest assessment of your skills, and your niche is necessary. You must be real with yourself. And I think you must have a willingness to diversify.

It can be done.

Check out the blog Muddy Colors. (http://muddycolors.blogspot.com) These are professional illustrators in the field, and they give lots of tips on finding work, and all aspects of freelance illustration. 

You can learn without schooling if formal schooling is not possible. The info is out there, and many people are willing to help if you just approach them.

All the best. Don't give up. God bless.

Home
  • A year ago or so I saw a number of news articles online about those who went to a technical/trade/vocational school for two years were often getting the jobs that college grads with 4 year degrees were not.  Here is merely one of them, but it sums up the thought pretty well:

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/08/09/college-vs-vocational-educat...

• That's a great distinction, Lee. Trade schools would be a better bet (in my opinion) as the training is specific and focused.

In fact, the classic atelier-styled schools for painting are growing in popularity again, and that is an ideal way to learn.

(And thanks for the plug!)

• My business card has always been my previous work ... though I am still thinking of making an actual card. :)

Steve, I completely agree one doesn't have to attend school to "make it" -- plenty have and will continue to do so on both sides.  I was told by some professional (well-known) artists I met at conventions the year prior to my going to Kubert I shouldn't go -- that I didn't need to go.  But, for me, that one year -- as much as it at times drove me nuts -- was a big help --  if only in giving me the tiny peek into a world I couldn't envision too well living in the sticks of Maine.  It was a safe way for me to venture to where I needed to be to pursue "the dream" (this would be less of a consideration in a day and age when you can make contacts much more easily than I could then).

I also wonder if a professional trade school (like Kubert) might be a little different than a school where art is one of their many degree programs?  Not sure...just a thought.

The bottom line, obviously, is whether or not you can do the work.  No one's ever asked to see my (non-existent) degree.  There is one thing I shared with my daughter, recently; that is, once I got into my mid-to-late thirties, I started having an inkling to teach.  While there are _some_ opportunities to teach minus a degree, their are far more opportunities to teach when one has that degree.

Again, it's just another consideration -- not meant to anything more than that.

(and whoever isn't checking out Steve's "From Nothing", should!  the latest, "Be Still", is terrific!)

Lee

• You should go to college. Yes some people make it on their own. But its far easier to just pay for an opportunity to have companys come to you in order for you to form connections. Have you checked out the ringling college of art and design yet? Great animation program there.

It all falls ultimatley on what you want to do. Do you want to make art as a hobby? work on other peoples projects? make graphic novels? Find this out first before you fall into something. College is a great place to test these waters at least for the first year.

- Taco

• But, didn't we both love the School of Visual Arts?

HA! ...Well, I met my wife there before I dropped out, so it wasn't a complete waste!

I'd like to clarify my position on college a bit. I am not against the idea of college, but what I find is that people assume two things about it- 1) that you MUST attend no matter what, and 2) that this is how you learn about any field or profession.

Culturally, we tend to rely on "experts" to teach us, and consider pursuing knowledge or craft on our own as some how less valid, or second rate. We have been told that the "degree" is the thing. It's not.

A dedicated, motivated, and focused person can accomplish just as much in the arts than a person with a $90,000 art school degree. Maybe even more. ...And without the usually Leftist indoctrination, and debt.

Again, it's not where you've been that will get you work, it's what you can do. Now.

As for Seth Godin, here's a thought from his book "Linchpin" that I found pretty revolutionary. It's on the idea of resumes.

Do you need a résumé?

This is controversial, but here goes: I think if you're remarkable, amazing or just plain spectacular, you probably shouldn't have a resume at all.

If you’ve got experience in doing the things that make you a linchpin [i.e., indispensable], a résumé hides that fact.

A résumé gives the employer everything she needs to reject you.

Once you send me your résumé, I can say, “Oh, they’re missing this or they’re missing that,” and boom, you’re out.

Having a résumé begs for you to go into that big machine that looks for relevant keywords, and begs for you you to get a job as a cog in a giant machine. More fodder for the corporate behemoth. That might be find the average folks looking for an average job, but is that what you deserve?

The very system that produces standardized tests and the command-and-control model that chokes us also invented the résumé. The system, the industrialists, the factory … they want us to be cogs in their machine- easily replaceable, hopeless, cheap cogs.

If you don't have a resume, what do you have?
    How about three extraordinary letters of recommendation from people the employer knows or respects?
    Or a sophisticated project they can see or touch?
    Or a reputation that precedes you?
    Or a blog that is so compelling and insightful that they have no choice but to follow up?

Some say, "well, that's fine, but I don't have those."
    Yeah, that's my point. If you don't have those, why do you think you are  remarkable, amazing or just plain spectacular? It sounds to me like if you don't have more than a résumé, you've been brainwashed into compliance.
    Great jobs, world class jobs, jobs people kill for- those jobs don't get filled by people emailing in resumes.

This reply was deleted.