CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Replies

• Jeramiah 1:5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee and before thou camest out of the womb I sanctified thee and ordained thee a prophet unto the nations. This verse proves that God has a plan for all children before they are even fully formed. While the verse is directly about God's plan for the prophet jeremiah It also has universal application. Buzz your acorn analogy is a bunch of garbage. an acorn is an oak tree in its earliest stage no it may not have roots leaves or bark but it is an oak tree in its seed stage. An embryo does in fact have personality intellect and individuality it ust hasn't fully developed yet and will continue to develop both physically and spiritually throughout its life

• If you allow a 'fertilized egg' to grow, if you let a zygote grow, a fetus, a baby, a child, a teenager let all these grow up, they will; and they will all grow up to adulthood. A newly created chromosome is the start of human growth.

• Being created by God doesn't limit Him to His methodology...which I think is part of the problem some people have re fertilized eggs = human beings.  God did not inspire (i.e., literally breath His spiritual life into) humanity unity there was a physical matrix that could host that spiritual life.  The young earth creationists imagine God creating man from dust in a physically final form, which could explain why so many of them assume fertilized eggs to be full human beings.

But it ain't necessarily so.

It is no more arbitrary (it is in fact, less arbitrary, given that the Bible appears to advocate for the literal position and not your position) than supposing that a man's nature begins at the advent of a functioning brain stem.

Ask yourself this:  Where did all the info in Genesis come from?  Where does it say it came straight from God's lips to Moses' ear?  A plain text reading says it all happened long before Noah was born, meaning Noah couldn't possibly have witnessed it first hand, so some unknown person/s had to have told him...but all the people in Noah's era except him & his family were supposedly wicked!

God spoke to Noah. God spoke to Moses. And when God spoke to Noah, He was succinct. He told him the dimensions of the Ark cubit by cubit. God spoke to Moses audibly and disseminated His laws to him who later disseminated them to the Israelites. We know that Genesis is true because Christ authenticated it.

(And that's not even touching on the absolute ridiculousness of trying to apply a human time frame of past/present/future to a transcendent God to whom everything is happening always forever simultaneously Right Now.  In God's POV the creation is an eternally ongoing process; it never "began" in a human sense, it is ongoing, and it will never end as far as God is concerned.  It's our human limitations that try to hamstring the process.)

Except that that is not the philosophical or Biblical position of God's timelessness at all. You're using words and forcing them together without any cogent understanding of what you're saying at all. When Paul, and Augustine, and Anselm, and Aquinas, and literally every philosopher talked about God's necessity, aseity, eternity, and infinity, they would not have been so nonsensical as to say that every theophany God manifested or action God executed in time is done all the time. The Hand of God is not shutting the door of the Ark every moment. The Holy Spirit is not impregnating Mary in every instant. God may perceive all of space time as if it were a quilt (for all I know or care), but that doesn't mean that "in a human sense" all these things are still "ongoing." The world was created "in a human sense" a long, long time ago, irrespective of what pseudo-science and amateurish philosophy would assert.

• Someone's into paganism~ Human's didn't descend from the trees or evolve from nature for that matter. We were created by Love to be here, His imagers, His embodiment represented on the Earth. The ability we now find in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

• Again new life is created when the male and female chromosomes join to create a new chromosome.

Chromosomes are DNA & protein structures, DNA is the information for all life, and what makes DNA? DNA makes DNA. And what's in Blood? DNA. That's what the Leviticus verse is talking about, "life of the flesh is in the blood."

Babies' DNA comes from the parents, and the parents' DNA comes from their's, and so on and so on; all the way back to Adam. And Adam got his DNA, the information for the makeup of his life, from the Creator.

Paul Philpott JR said:

If God chooses to take a person before they are born that is his right.

Psalm 51:5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.

Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

From these Scriptures you can take it as God passing judgement upon people who are guilty of sinning against their Creator and who's just ruling would/should be death. But, there is an Age of Accountability to contend with, so it's not like all these young humans are going to hell -which is why Jesus says theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 19:14 But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

• Buzz Dixon said:

Steve, my point remains this: Human tissue, even if it is still living, is not in and off itself sufficient to classify a human being. An amputated hand is merely a severed hunk of human tissue, it is not a human being. A human being with a functioning brain stem, no matter how badly ravaged their body is by disease, injury, or genetic abnormality, is a human being so long as that brain stem functions. A perfectly healthy human being ceases to be a human being the instant their brain stem stops functioning, no matter how perfect the other tissue is or how long said tissue is kept alive via artificial means.

A functioning brain stem is the absolute minimum basic requirement to be counted as a human being as opposed to simply human tissue.

your whole brain stem arguement is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard. It makes no sense at all. As I said before life begins at the moment of conception not when the brain stem is formed. God has a plan for that life no matter what stage it is in whether the person is a single cluster of cells or fully formed.

All of my points orbit back to that: We determine individuality, no matter how badly impaired, by the existence of a functioning brain stem. No functioning brain stem, no individual. Just meat.

And I have a real problem with the idea that God can do whatever He wants and it's moral simply because He is God. It destroys any meaning of morality by making God arbitrary and unjust. This is not what God is, this is what a buncha primitive tribesmen thought Him to be. Read the Bible carefully. The early Hebrews assumed God to be the agent behind everything that happened, good or bad. Only later, first in the Psalms and Proverbs, then in Ecclesiastes, and finally in the explicit teachings of Christ do we see God has provided for a certain amount of randomness.

First off Buzz you presume too much on God. God's ways are not our ways. God is the creator of the universe. He has the right to do with it what he will. If God chooses to take a person before they are born that is his right. God is holy, holy, holy and there is no evil in him. there is always a reason behind anything God chooses. He is not arbitrary but God's will is always God's will and its final. You have no right to make limits on God's will.

It also implies we worship God not because He is worthy of love, but because we're afraid of what He might do to us if we tick Him off. Not exactly the "Abba" Christ spoke of, huh? And it speaks ill of us, because if we worship God only because we are afraid of Him, then why wouldn't we worship some other entity who promises to protect us from God?

that is the dumbest idea i have ever heard, God is more than worthy of our love regardless of anything anyone says.

Steve Crespo said:

"If you needed a blood transfusion and we shared the same blood type and I donated blood to you, you have not absorbed "me". If my kidney was transplanted to you, you would not be me. If, to go into a sci-fi extreme for a moment to illustrate a point, We were in an accident where my head was crushed and your body mangled and some brilliant surgeon saved your head and transplanted it to my decapitated corpse, you would still be you albeit with my body."

Oookay... not sure what you're getting at here.

"Have you ever heard of a doctor removing a patient's head in order to preserve their life? We distinguish between human tissue and organs and a human being. And to be a human being you need to possess a functioning brain stem."

Buzz... I mean this with all respect, I literally have no idea how you are arguing your position. I'm seeing a series of disconnected facts, what seems to me nonsensical assertions, and hypotheticals. I'm not following. I am sorry. I'm not trying to be funny.

"...So if God has created a system where 30% of all fertilized eggs and/or zygotes are killed, either (a) God is immoral or (b) fertilized eggs and zygotes are not yet human beings."

Or (c) the giving and taking of life is completely God's prerogative since He is the originator and sustainer of all life in the universe. All life is His to give and take.

And He is the source of all morality, He himself is not subject to moral law. He is the Law-Giver. 

He acts according to His nature.

So, Buzz... we've been over this and over this... so I won't beat this much longer, but I would like to ask two questions, and if you like we can leave it there, or continue. Your call.

You say the development of the brainstem is beginning of human life... I have asked over and over for you to answer what you would call the pre-brain stem fetus if it is not human- if it is not fully human, what is it?- but you don't seem to want to answer that.

I'll ask again... how does the brain stem form, thus creating a human life in your view if-

1. The conceptus was not alive and developing in the first place, and...
    2. "It" is not already human?

In order for anything to develop anything it needs to first be alive, and anything that is alive is by nature what it is during it's entire life span. Nothing crosses species/ontology during it's lifespan.

Our nature as human beings- and the nature of ALL species- is not something that comes on and off like a cloak. It is from conception to death what we are BY EVERY SCIENTIFIC AND LOGICAL LAW KNOWN TO US, because it is LITERALLY impossible for us to be anything else.

So, please, please, please respond to these two points, as I have made them over and over.

As for the others stuff you wrote above, I'm sorry, but I can't make sense of it.

Buzz you claim to be a christian yet you use the exact same ridiculous arguments that the non christian abortion supporters use. i would expect this attitude from a non christian but not from a person who claims to be a follower of God. You need to take another look at what you are saying and open your eyes to the fact that life begins at conception not when the brain stem is formed which is both unscientific and unbiblical

• "If you needed a blood transfusion and we shared the same blood type and I donated blood to you, you have not absorbed "me". If my kidney was transplanted to you, you would not be me. If, to go into a sci-fi extreme for a moment to illustrate a point, We were in an accident where my head was crushed and your body mangled and some brilliant surgeon saved your head and transplanted it to my decapitated corpse, you would still be you albeit with my body."

Oookay... not sure what you're getting at here.

"Have you ever heard of a doctor removing a patient's head in order to preserve their life? We distinguish between human tissue and organs and a human being. And to be a human being you need to possess a functioning brain stem."

Buzz... I mean this with all respect, I literally have no idea how you are arguing your position. I'm seeing a series of disconnected facts, what seems to me nonsensical assertions, and hypotheticals. I'm not following. I am sorry. I'm not trying to be funny.

"...So if God has created a system where 30% of all fertilized eggs and/or zygotes are killed, either (a) God is immoral or (b) fertilized eggs and zygotes are not yet human beings."

Or (c) the giving and taking of life is completely God's prerogative since He is the originator and sustainer of all life in the universe. All life is His to give and take.

And He is the source of all morality, He himself is not subject to moral law. He is the Law-Giver. 

He acts according to His nature.

So, Buzz... we've been over this and over this... so I won't beat this much longer, but I would like to ask two questions, and if you like we can leave it there, or continue. Your call.

You say the development of the brainstem is beginning of human life... I have asked over and over for you to answer what you would call the pre-brain stem fetus if it is not human- if it is not fully human, what is it?- but you don't seem to want to answer that.

I'll ask again... how does the brain stem form, thus creating a human life in your view if-

1. The conceptus was not alive and developing in the first place, and...
    2. "It" is not already human?

In order for anything to develop anything it needs to first be alive, and anything that is alive is by nature what it is during it's entire life span. Nothing crosses species/ontology during it's lifespan.

Our nature as human beings- and the nature of ALL species- is not something that comes on and off like a cloak. It is from conception to death what we are BY EVERY SCIENTIFIC AND LOGICAL LAW KNOWN TO US, because it is LITERALLY impossible for us to be anything else.

So, please, please, please respond to these two points, as I have made them over and over.

As for the others stuff you wrote above, I'm sorry, but I can't make sense of it.

• Heh. True.

I'm still waiting for my prize.

;-)

• @ Steve- I do believe you have the record for the two most responded to posts.

• I've never said that, I don't say that.

Well then quit being a cryptic sock sniffer, and I won't misinterpret you.

This reply was deleted.