CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Replies

• gotta love kids. My son when he was 4 (he is now 16) would ask toddlers, what does God look like. He explained to me that the kids younger than him had seen God more recently and my son forgot what God looked like. At 16 his beliefs and faith are just as strong, but his understanding is deeper. My son is my hero. God improved on what he did in me...bigger faster, stronger, wiser...
  • :)) I love the fact that we are all different.
  •    I'm afraid I have to leave you hanging about the box/flower thing.

About 12 years ago, my friend's mom died, and his son (her grandson) who was about four at the time said those very words to me when I asked how he was doing. I wrote them down verbatim. I never asked what he meant- whether he meant a coffin or not- I just took the words as he said them.

There was something powerful in his innocence that I wanted to keep.

And as for taking offense, Josue... worry not! My skin is much thicker than that!  :-)

• Got to admire the fact that you stood up for your own artistic views. :) I meant no offence by the way. :)
  • Now that is interesting. I didn't know that the yellow man was you. Now I understand a little more now where you are coming from with the strip.  So-- are you going to leave hanging about the box and flowers?
  • "But when they are talking to me I'm going to instantly think that these are your beliefs and you are trying to convince me to think like you."

They are, and I am.

Again, these strips are my thoughts for the most part, and the yellow man is me. Some thoughts are funny, some thoughtful, some just, well, very open to interpretation. And of course, yes, I would like folks to think like me, who doesn't? I make no apologies.

My aim is never to offend, but it is bound to happen in this hyper-sensitive culture of ours. It can't be helped.

I always see the yellow man talking to the viewer as rather Shakespearian. Like Iago turning to the audience and saying "I hate the Moor", or Hamlet with his "to be or not to be". ...Or, how about Ferris Bueller telling me I need to stop and look around once and a while.

I hear what you are saying, but it fits my vision of the strip. And I'm pretty comfortable with it.

• I have to Agree with Christopher,

Although Let me Add: " I can't stop loving the Art on these strips! I really like the first strip, but the second one although the message is good, would be greatly enhanced by an extra character. that's just my opinion though.

• I'm thinking coffin with flowers on it when you say "in a treasure box with flowers all over it," it's the only thing I could think of in trying to understand what that statement means.  The four year old child's statement I get but the second one I don't. Unless the coffin thing is what you mean. Then I guess my assumptions were right.

Also I like when the the characters are interacting with each other, not talking directly to me. If the characters in your comic are interacting with each other and the reader disagrees with the statement they won't take it personally. It will be just something to discuss.  But when they are talking to me I'm going to instantly think that these are your beliefs and you are trying to convince me to think like you.

It's like in a movie the actors don't stop what they are doing to speak to the audience, but their actions and personal beliefs that they display in the movie will trigger an emotion out of me, and then I can make a decision to either like, hate, or both when it comes to the character. When you are saying what ever you want to say in your comic through the characters interacting with each other......then, whether it is wrong or right won't matter at all because it's the characters who are thinking it. Then we are allowed to feel how we want to feel about them and hopefully won't be offended. And we'll keep coming back for more.

This reply was deleted.