CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Need some guidance

I am trying to figure out what to do with my gift of drawing I am not skilled at making comics but I am great at making characters and stories for them. I guess I just need someone who knows God's will for their gift to give me guidance. I would love to use my talent for God I am just kinda lost. Attached is some drawings of characters that I have done some are colored on the computer.

Valia Rainbow wings.jpg

kitsune2.jpg

Wolf lady 0023.jpg

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Huh thats so weird I have never been scared of anthros before like ever.So I guess it is just weird to think others might be.

Buzz Dixon said:

The only people in the church who are afraid of anthros are people who can't distinguish fantasy from reality.  Anthro characters are no different from any other cartoon / comic book / graphic novel / manga characters -- as Scott Shaw! sez:  "It's just lines on paper, folks!"

http://ever.So/
  • wow I hadn't thought of things in this way thanks so much!

Christopher Haupt said:

Hey what's up. Based on what I saw.  I really like your work. This is what I feel from my experience and Knowledge of God.   Google concept art.  Look at what they do.  Here's one for you to check out. 

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr...

God's will for you is what ever you want to do.  What ever is in your heart, that is the desire that He put in you to do.  Don't think so heavy on it.  God gives us the desires of our heart... this is biblical.  It's not that we want something and then he gives it too us, it's him putting that desire in us, and then us going after it with all our being.  To me concept artist seems right up your alley.  And already people are coming to you about work, so bang, there you go. LOL. 

God's will for our life is that we be thankful, stay away from sin, love him with all our heart, love others as we love ourselves, be filled with the Spirit, and to be saved.  I know I missed a few things but this is what it comes down to.  Now when it comes to callings or decisions that we have to make-- God gives us the free will to decide what we want to do with our lives.  So do what you like.  You say, "I am great at making characters and stories for them."  That's a concept artist who can give others direction.  Others who can do the labor when it comes to your ideas.  You draw the basic idea for the characters so the artist who feels like they like drawing comics can do the story. 

Sometimes, the body of Christ is a bit confused in the area of responsibility.  The hand will try to be the eye.  The heart will try to do the job of the foot.  How can the body function that way.  There was one Moses, one Samson, one Elijah.  What if Samson tried to do Moses' job.  Couldn't happen.  So don't try to do something that you know in your heart that you don't like.  Just do what you like.  It's less frustrating that way.  And you have a lot of work that you have to do with your gift, so don't waste time doing things that will pull you away from your hearts desire. 

In my opinion your gift is awesome.  It reminds me of my style a little bit.  But you have to get better.  Grow in your gift.  Hunger to get stronger.  Right now you have a good foundation.  A really good foundation.  But you have to grow.  Look at that sight I just gave you and aim higher than that so you can atleast be at that level.  If people want you to do work for them in the mean time do it because they like your work, and you got to eat.  So knock it out.  But at the same time focus on growing.

Your color choices are awesome now they need to be fine tuned, take some concept art classes if possible.  Try to make it possible.  It's worth it.  Also learn the tricks in photoshop that the pros do to get their pieces to look cool.  If you can't take online classes or go to school for it then hit up youtube and look up photoshop elements tutorial.  Or photoshop tutorial.  And teach yourself.  Or whatever art program that you have. Because we have internet we don't have any excuse for not growing.

I was in the same boat as you, a few years back.  I was torn between drawing Spiderman for Marvel or doing my own book for God.  One night I was inking some pages and I threw the pen down confused about the matter.  Then God spoke to me..... He asked me what's wrong.  I told him that I didn't know what I wanted to do.  He asked me what did I want to do.  I said I wanted to do a comic book for Him.  He said, well do that.  He said, I already had people draw and paint great masterpieces for me.  He said, what I need is for someone to do a comic book for me.  Then He left.  I smiled. The following morning I went to work writing the story.  I never had writers block, 11 issues total, and right when I knew I was coming to a point where was going to be clueless... the Holy Spirit guided me and told me what was next in the story to write.  Now I'm drawing it.  Happy and fulfilled doing what I had in my heart to do.  It's not that God told me what to do, He asked me what I wanted to do, and just told me to do that.  So you already stated what you are good at, so just do that.

Yo. You are really good.  I wouldn't have given my  opinion if I didn't believe it.  I hope something I said hit home for you.  I could say more, but that's the just of it in a nut shell.

Need some guidance
    I am trying to figure out what to do with my gift of drawing I am not skilled at making comics but I am great at making characters and stories for th…
  • Yo man thanks. Sometimes I feel like when I'm talking about my faith and God. I feel like I'm talking in chinese  or something. LOL Like we are chillin and God just confused our languages like He did Babel.  Sounds like a good read.  I used to be focus on that spirit lead stuff.  But I think that sometimes it's a trick of the enemy.  I had a long talk with my pastor about hearing from God, and hearing what we think is from God.  He's going to have a series on it.  I think the Lord is saying to get away from that "feel called to or the leading of the Spirit."  And stay focused on what the bible teaches.  It's a thin line that we have to walk down.  But live and learn.  I don't know if you would feel comfortable doing this or not,  but if you want to mail me the book, I'll read it and mail it back to you.  My money is tight right now, but I would want to read it while this topic is still fresh.  Let me know.

• Rachel and Christopher,

I just finished reading this AMAZING book called "Decision Making And The Will Of God: A Biblical Alternative to the ..." by Garry Friesen.

It is the most exhaustive and Biblically sound discussion on how we as Christians ought to make decisions I have ever come across.

We we have all heard he phrases "I feel called to...", or "the leading of the Holy Spirit", and the Christian church has accepted and used those phrases and sentiments without question for a very, very long time. However, this idea was completely alien to to the early church and the apostles, as well as the Scriptures themselves.

What you are saying, Christopher, is really in line with what the Scriptures teach. I think you'll really enjoy the book if you're interested in the subject at all.

Peace, folks.

• Hey Alika I was reading the scriptures that you put.  It seems like it was a reply against what advice I was giving.  I'm really not trying to get into a debate.  I was really trying to give some inspiration and some helpful advice based on my experience.  So I'll just say a few things.  If your doing and folowing after God, if you love Him and are lining yourself up with His desires.  Then following your heart isn't a problem because it revolves around Him in the first place.  It's safe to listen to your heart when your heart is focused on Him.  When everything you do revolves around honoring him.  Maybe I was'nt clear or something in my advice.  If you have the time,  John MacArthur says it better than I ever could in this sermon.   http://www.gty.org/MediaPlayer/archive/1947

The title is "God's will is not Secret"   God gives us room to make decisions for ourselves as to what we want to do.  So long as we are living and thinking in the right context.  We can execise our free will to do the right thing or the wrong thing.  If God has a problem with a decision trust me he willl let you know about it.  He won't let us go astray for too long before He turns us around. 

Right now as for me I am doing a comic that I feel I want to do and it's for Him.  That's what I choose to do with the gift that He gave me.  Jesus, tells a story about giving three men talents.  These three men chose to do what they wanted to do with them.  The master never told them what to do with the talents, the master trusted them to multiply it.  They did what they felt they wanted to do.  And they all got different returns from their efforts. 

But anyway, that's it. I think I kinda went on more than I wanted to about it.  But listen to that sermon.  John is popular in the christian world and he is one of my favorite pastors.  Check him out if you get a chance.  Hope you like it.

• Galations 5:17

17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever[a] you want.

Genesis 8:21

21 And the LORD smelled a sweet savour; and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.

Ecclesiastes 9:3

3 This is the evil in everything that happens under the sun: The same destiny overtakes all. The hearts of people, moreover, are full of evil and there is madness in their hearts while they live, and afterwards they join the dead.

Jeremiah 17:9

9The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Mark 7:21-23

21For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, 22Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness: 23All these evil things come from within, and defile the man.

Romans 3:23

23For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Ephesians 4:22

22 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires;

Galatians 5:16

16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.

Galatians 5:24

24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

Romans 8:5-11

5 Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. 6 The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace. 7 The mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. 8Those who are in the realm of the flesh cannot please God.

9 You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ. 10 But if Christ is in you, then even though your body is subject to death because of sin, the Spirit gives life[d] because of righteousness. 11 And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of[e] his Spirit who lives in you.

• Hey what's up. Based on what I saw.  I really like your work. This is what I feel from my experience and Knowledge of God.   Google concept art.  Look at what they do.  Here's one for you to check out. 

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr...

God's will for you is what ever you want to do.  What ever is in your heart, that is the desire that He put in you to do.  Don't think so heavy on it.  God gives us the desires of our heart... this is biblical.  It's not that we want something and then he gives it too us, it's him putting that desire in us, and then us going after it with all our being.  To me concept artist seems right up your alley.  And already people are coming to you about work, so bang, there you go. LOL. 

God's will for our life is that we be thankful, stay away from sin, love him with all our heart, love others as we love ourselves, be filled with the Spirit, and to be saved.  I know I missed a few things but this is what it comes down to.  Now when it comes to callings or decisions that we have to make-- God gives us the free will to decide what we want to do with our lives.  So do what you like.  You say, "I am great at making characters and stories for them."  That's a concept artist who can give others direction.  Others who can do the labor when it comes to your ideas.  You draw the basic idea for the characters so the artist who feels like they like drawing comics can do the story. 

Sometimes, the body of Christ is a bit confused in the area of responsibility.  The hand will try to be the eye.  The heart will try to do the job of the foot.  How can the body function that way.  There was one Moses, one Samson, one Elijah.  What if Samson tried to do Moses' job.  Couldn't happen.  So don't try to do something that you know in your heart that you don't like.  Just do what you like.  It's less frustrating that way.  And you have a lot of work that you have to do with your gift, so don't waste time doing things that will pull you away from your hearts desire. 

In my opinion your gift is awesome.  It reminds me of my style a little bit.  But you have to get better.  Grow in your gift.  Hunger to get stronger.  Right now you have a good foundation.  A really good foundation.  But you have to grow.  Look at that sight I just gave you and aim higher than that so you can atleast be at that level.  If people want you to do work for them in the mean time do it because they like your work, and you got to eat.  So knock it out.  But at the same time focus on growing.

Your color choices are awesome now they need to be fine tuned, take some concept art classes if possible.  Try to make it possible.  It's worth it.  Also learn the tricks in photoshop that the pros do to get their pieces to look cool.  If you can't take online classes or go to school for it then hit up youtube and look up photoshop elements tutorial.  Or photoshop tutorial.  And teach yourself.  Or whatever art program that you have. Because we have internet we don't have any excuse for not growing.

I was in the same boat as you, a few years back.  I was torn between drawing Spiderman for Marvel or doing my own book for God.  One night I was inking some pages and I threw the pen down confused about the matter.  Then God spoke to me..... He asked me what's wrong.  I told him that I didn't know what I wanted to do.  He asked me what did I want to do.  I said I wanted to do a comic book for Him.  He said, well do that.  He said, I already had people draw and paint great masterpieces for me.  He said, what I need is for someone to do a comic book for me.  Then He left.  I smiled. The following morning I went to work writing the story.  I never had writers block, 11 issues total, and right when I knew I was coming to a point where was going to be clueless... the Holy Spirit guided me and told me what was next in the story to write.  Now I'm drawing it.  Happy and fulfilled doing what I had in my heart to do.  It's not that God told me what to do, He asked me what I wanted to do, and just told me to do that.  So you already stated what you are good at, so just do that.

Yo. You are really good.  I wouldn't have given my  opinion if I didn't believe it.  I hope something I said hit home for you.  I could say more, but that's the just of it in a nut shell.

• thanks so much that is good to know I am wondering why anthros are scary to the church world? I know like a long time ago they were afraid of werewolves and stuff but why would it be scary now?

• Hi Rachel- those were some great characters. Good job! I can tell you that when I draw for my kids at church, and I'm trying to or need to do a story board, it can be quite a handful. I'm like you. I like to do a character or characters, the theme or story in one big drop. But when using it to teach, it doesn't always work out so well and I have to make a four panel display. What I resolved to do was make each panel, as if it was it's own, while letting the dialog move it forward. That made it easier for me.

Sometimes using anthro characters can be frightening in the church world. I know. But with perseverance and faith, and keeping your characters in line with the flow of the scriptures, you will soon see how God takes you gift and makes it flow.

Oh! and welcome to  CCA!

Paul Gilmore

• Yes I think that would be better I like your changes the Shepard king is quite unique and isn't a name for Jesus though he is both a Shepard and a king hmmm yes I thin it is unique enough to work Shepard King or Sheep king would work too. Also did you see my gallery I uploaded your characters not much was needed as far as changes go and I left the coloring up to you because I don't know their colors.

This reply was deleted.