CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Mature Content

Should Christians Comic book creators have a target audience or should the audience always need to be for the all-ages?

Should Believers add blood to their content and I'm not talking about the cross?

Should a Christian Artist develop mature content?

By mature content, I mean mature subject matter in culture or society like human trafficking or the effects of domestic violence.

Personally, I'm not saying I don't have a heart for it. Yet, can see how other believers can.  

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• ONE DAY ONLY!!!http://amazon.com/The-Whole-Armor-Truth-ebook/dp/B00CLJLTZI/ My comic is now free until the end Wednesday. ..download it now and leave a review thanks...

MINE HAS MILD VIOLENCE...AND THE BIBLE HAS GRAPHIC VIOLENCE

• Yeah and please don't go the Disney route either; what with the witchcraft, bestiality, possession, or whatever deviancy of the season it deems fit to cram down kids retina's! Lying and being disrespectful/deceiving to parents, worshiping nature/paganism, ect.. yeah stick to schoolhouserock toons or something for the kids.

• The Bible is not for "all ages" so neither should your work. The Bible isn't for "all audiences" either. The gospels have different audiences. The epistles have different audiences. Leviticus would have been the go-to book for one group. The parables were for specific people to understand and kept from others. So you must know your audience. There's an dangerous familiarity when a body nailed to wood seems ok to show children while we know children are traumatized by images. Jewish boys weren't allowed to read Song of Solomon. We can't just lump things as "safe" just because it is in the Bible. The Levite cutting apart the woman, the public raping of the concubines, the pile of pointless foreskins, and the burning of children show the depth of our depravity that shouldn't be glorified. Your point can get across in more creative ways than going a route that even Disney doesn't go.
  • Adam Graham said:

I was talking about throwing out, "How deviant!" on the first line.

How is having mature content done to pass as PG13 not deviant?!

I agree w/ Crespo in that we should be led by the Spirit. But in doing so, that, along w/ rating your material accordingly, obliterates any fine line. Christians born of the Spirit are truthful not liars.

Steve Crespo said:

By their very subject matter some stories are meant for mature audiences, and the impact of the Gospel (or just the Christian worldview) in such stories can be incredibly powerful.

For instance, to tell the story of a woman raised in the world of human trafficking from childhood yet who now knows the Lord involves some pretty mature content. I know women who lived these lives, and to tell their stories would involved some pretty hefty decisions.

As Christians we must walk the line of telling the truth of the horror of sin without glorifying it, but we must also know what not to tell without minimizing it. It's a mighty fine line.

This is why I say that each person must look to the Lord, and let Him guide, because it is ultimately to Him we must answer. There will always be those in the church who are far too restrictive, just as there will always be those who are far too permissive.

The key to creating lies in the freedom God has given us to create.

Mature Content
    Should Christians Comic book creators have a target audience or should the audience always need to be for the all-ages? Should Believers add blood to…
  • By their very subject matter some stories are meant for mature audiences, and the impact of the Gospel (or just the Christian worldview) in such stories can be incredibly powerful.

For instance, to tell the story of a woman raised in the world of human trafficking from childhood yet who now knows the Lord involves some pretty mature content. I know women who lived these lives, and to tell their stories would involved some pretty hefty decisions.

As Christians we must walk the line of telling the truth of the horror of sin without glorifying it, but we must also know what not to tell without minimizing it. It's a mighty fine line.

This is why I say that each person must look to the Lord, and let Him guide, because it is ultimately to Him we must answer. There will always be those in the church who are far too restrictive, just as there will always be those who are far too permissive.

The key to creating lies in the freedom God has given us to create. 

• Alika Parsons said:

Adam Graham said:

Alika, the name-calling instinct's not cool.

?

I was talking about throwing out, "How deviant!" on the first line.

Mature Content
    Should Christians Comic book creators have a target audience or should the audience always need to be for the all-ages? Should Believers add blood to…
  • Adam Graham said:

Alika, the name-calling instinct's not cool.

?

Mature Content
  • Alika, the name-calling instinct's not cool.

I was referring to what the original poster was calling mature content which is talking about human trafficking or domestic violence, not gratuitous sex or violence. A topic like human trafficking isn't something that should be "adults only" as an awareness of it can leads teens to action. And teens deal with domestic violence in their own lives. I think it would be wrong to try and talk about those issues in such a graphic manner, that only people who are willing to read "M" rated comics can actually study them.

Because even though I'm not underage, I really don't care to read something that is over the top in sex and violence which is what I take "M" rated titles for.

• How deviant is that? Make mature content in a way so that it's rated PG13, so that more underaged kids are exposed to mature content, giving them a higher proclivity to mature, sin, or both? What motive would anyone have in doing that? If it's mature content leave it labeled as such, even if it's staged PG13, don't lead/fall into any kind of perversion.

Acts 20:30 - Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.

@Adam I think what you're saying is it can be done so that it's no longer mature, and like what dan's sayin i'd agree it's possible. But i wouldn't take any chances in causing anyone to stumble, if the content's mature then leave it rated that way the parent's can decide.

Adam Graham said:

I think it can be done and while I know what you mean by "Mature Content," I think it can probably be done in a way that isn't a rated "Mature" content, but it a PG13 sort of way.

Mature Content
  • I think it can be done and while I know what you mean by "Mature Content," I think it can probably be done in a way that isn't a rated "Mature" content, but it a PG13 sort of way.

This reply was deleted.