CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Hello~!

I always struggle with introductions...well, I suppose I should start with a little bit about myself. I'm a graphic designer, artist, and writer, and I'm also a proud follower of Jesus Christ. My favorite type of comics to read/draw are manga-styled ones, and everyone calls me Sai.

I'm currently drawing/writing 3 different manga-styled comics ("The humanBEing", "FireWire", and "2Kingdoms"), and it has always been my personal hope to create stories that not only have positive themes, but would also provide alternative safe reading for the online manga-reading audience. I am involved with two free online magazines, DREAM Manga which is secular and currently runs two of my series, and TwelveGates Manga, which is completely staffed by Christian artists and runs my 3rd series. I am also the TwelveGates webmaster/forum administrator/graphic designer/whatever else Bert needs me for. I self-publish all of my series, and I am also the creator of the "Heart Series", which are my interpretive vector/vexel paintings featuring Biblical scripture passages.

Er, what else...? I can't think of anything. But it's nice to meet all of you and I hope to make connections and friends with more Christian artists~!

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank you! And yes, I've been told that numerous times; right before "you must be crazy to do those all at the same time."

Well, since you asked about the climate of Christian Comics in general, I suppose I'll focus on the reception of my most recent title "The humanBEing": It's mixed signals at best, but I expected that seeing as the series just started and does have a Christian theme that's much easier to spot than in my other two series, and most of my loyal readers are not Christians themselves. However, the reception in the Christian manga-reader crowd is much warmer, and that doesn't shock me much. I believe there is a big chunk of manga fans who are Christians who have a hard time finding interesting stories drawn in a style they like. At least, that's how I've interpreted the vibe~

Thanks again for the warm welcome, and will do! (once I figure everything out...)

Steve Crespo said:

Welcome!

Man... it seems you are quite the industrious illustrator.

...I'm curious, what kind of reception have these comic ventures received? What are the comments from the readers?

I'm just curious as to how Christian comics are doing out there. What's the vibe? 

Anyhoo... welcome to the site! Dive in!

Hello~!
    I always struggle with introductions...well, I suppose I should start with a little bit about myself. I'm a graphic designer, artist, and writer, and…
  • Thank you! A lot of people seem to notice my panel layouts lately; that is interesting to me. Oddly enough, most of my pages are not vector-based; at least not any of my earlier pages/series.

I appreciate your effort to read through them all! It may take a lot longer than one night though~XD

I currently use a combination of Manga Studio and Photoshop to do my pages. I sketch the page on paper, scan it into MS for inks and to add panels and bubbles, and then I do all my toning and lettering in PS.

D.L. Maffett said:

Sai, looked at a few of your pages. They look good! I can see the graphic designer coming out by your page layout and use of vector based images. It shows you know how to work quickly and effectively to make your project come to life. I am looking forward to reading what you have. I will try to read them later tonight. What software do you use to create you comics? Currently I am using manga studio.

Hello~!
    I always struggle with introductions...well, I suppose I should start with a little bit about myself. I'm a graphic designer, artist, and writer, and…
  • Hello Lisa! Thank you for the warm welcome and for taking a look through my projects! You draw "Shelter of Wings" if I'm not mistaken; I have run across the earlier version before, but have yet to read the new one; it looks so amazingly well done! 

Yes, bbqbert and I do work together. And thank you, I'm praying and hoping for the same!

Lisa Hutchinson said:

Hey Sai--nice to meet you! Although I don't frequent here much, I wanted to welcome you to the boards and to freely post. I just went to your website and looked through some of your manga, very nice work; I'm especially interested in the Heart Series :). So you and Bert (bbqbert?) work together? I love it when Christian artists mainstream into secular media, may God use you to impact many for His glory! 

Hello~!
  • Welcome!

Man... it seems you are quite the industrious illustrator.

...I'm curious, what kind of reception have these comic ventures received? What are the comments from the readers?

I'm just curious as to how Christian comics are doing out there. What's the vibe? 

Anyhoo... welcome to the site! Dive in!

• Sai, looked at a few of your pages. They look good! I can see the graphic designer coming out by your page layout and use of vector based images. It shows you know how to work quickly and effectively to make your project come to life. I am looking forward to reading what you have. I will try to read them later tonight. What software do you use to create you comics? Currently I am using manga studio.

• Hey Sai--nice to meet you! Although I don't frequent here much, I wanted to welcome you to the boards and to freely post. I just went to your website and looked through some of your manga, very nice work; I'm especially interested in the Heart Series :). So you and Bert (bbqbert?) work together? I love it when Christian artists mainstream into secular media, may God use you to impact many for His glory! 

This reply was deleted.