CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Replies

• Oh absolutely! Wow, what a blessing! Thank you so much!

Gerard Lee said:

Dear Rodney,

As an amateur writer of home made comics, I have often wondered if there was a magical 'format' and 'right way' to write scripts to send to artists. Even after so many years, I have never quite figured that out, as it seems to me there are many approaches people use to presenting their stories. So I can't help with your question, but I just noticed it's your birthday and I happen to have an unread copy of "The DC Comics Guide to Writing Comics" by Dennis O'Neil. May I send it to you as a gift? Send me a PM with your mailing address, and I will snail mail it to you this week if you like.

Be well, be blessed!

Gerry

Good and Bad Comic Scripts
    Can anyone give an example of a good AND a bad comic script? Can you explain why the script is good or bad? Is there a site that I can go to to see s…
  • I think a better way to look at it is what makes a good story in general over a good comic script. 

When I was trying to land my first illustration job I remember meeting a Marvel editor at a comic con- I have no idea who it was- who told me one thing that I never forgot. He said: When you are drawing comics, never draw down.

Don't skimp because it's just a comic. Draw the best you can. Always.

The same with writing. Don't think of it as a comic script. The rules for a good story are as present in comics as they are for other forms of writing and storytelling.

Maybe some of the writer here can give you more specifics, but that would be my input.

That, and one other thing...

They say that the folks who can detect counterfeit currency can do so, not by studying the various types of counterfeits, but by studying the real thing- by studying real currency, and becoming so familiar with it they can smell a fake a mile away.

I think it is the same with writing, and more importantly, reading. I have been reading every single night to my daughters since my oldest was very young. (She is almost 13.) We've read a lot of books, and on top of that, my wife and I are huge readers on our own time. We've amassed a pretty decent little library. But one of the great results of that is that we can now detect a poorly crafted story just a few paragraphs in. Bad writing, and bad structure stick out now like a sore thumb only because we are so familiar with good writing and good structure.

I would also suggest that you read. Read a lot, and make it a lifestyle. And not just comics, but all kinds of literature. (If you don't already.) If you do that you'll answer your question simply by what you have absorbed. And it will happen naturally.

And when you write, write good stories that will become comics. Not the other way around.

I don't mean to preach. I'm just rambling here. Please don't take offense.

One other thing... strangely enough,one of the best books on writing I have ever read is "On Writing" by Stephen King. Please know upfront that he uses some pretty gritty language, but I found this book incredibly honest and straightforward. Not to mention full of very good practical advice.

The first half is his autobiography, and the second is his thoughts on the craft of writing itself. Very, very good, but again, be warned. It is NOT a Christian book.

Anyhoo... there you go. I guess I just felt like typing.

God bless.

• Dear Rodney,

As an amateur writer of home made comics, I have often wondered if there was a magical 'format' and 'right way' to write scripts to send to artists. Even after so many years, I have never quite figured that out, as it seems to me there are many approaches people use to presenting their stories. So I can't help with your question, but I just noticed it's your birthday and I happen to have an unread copy of "The DC Comics Guide to Writing Comics" by Dennis O'Neil. May I send it to you as a gift? Send me a PM with your mailing address, and I will snail mail it to you this week if you like.

Be well, be blessed!

Gerry

• That's sort of what I am asking. What are the elements that are in a good script? What elements were left out of a script that made it bad?

Sven Jacobs said:

What makes a comic good? What makes it bad?
    Good and Bad Comic Scripts
    Can anyone give an example of a good AND a bad comic script? Can you explain why the script is good or bad? Is there a site that I can go to to see s…
  • What makes a comic good? What makes it bad?
This reply was deleted.