CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Finding a message in Mainstream Comics...

I wasn't quite sure where to place this inquiry, but I am working on a project for a Emmaus retreat I am doing in a week and needed help finding some source material. But what I am looking to find is a mainstream comic that an average reader could pull a christian message out of (IE: Spider-man sacrificing of himself constantly for others) that would be displayed on corkboard through-out the weekend long retreat. Prefer to find a single issue that I could sequentially present over each meal, page by page something for them to look forward to and enjoy. Using just single pages out of a variety of stories could certainly work, in my head it seemed more ideal to have one cohesive story. I have found a few snippets here and there already, but for the life of me cannot find or think of any entire issues that I could use. Really lucked out on finding this forum/group - I am sure someone out there knows or can recall a title or two that I am not finding!

Thanks folks! 

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• That would be fantastic, I am going to look at the All-Star superman at some point and maybe use that. Any other suggestions would be great! 

Roland Mann said:

The SUPERMAN story is often held up as one that mirrors Christ.

I've got a couple of books I'd like to recommend...but they're in my office...and I'm not. :) I'll try to dig them out and put them here. Some interesting and good reading.

Finding a message in Mainstream Comics...
    I wasn't quite sure where to place this inquiry, but I am working on a project for a Emmaus retreat I am doing in a week and needed help finding some…
  • The SUPERMAN story is often held up as one that mirrors Christ.

I've got a couple of books I'd like to recommend...but they're in my office...and I'm not. :) I'll try to dig them out and put them here. Some interesting and good reading.

• Thanks so much for your comments! I have been going through all my old issues and found some solid moments that should work as some good parallels and hopefully good some folks thinking.

Looking forward to finishing this project and delving deeper into the forums and this community, cheers!

• "You can't act monsterously in order to do away with a monster..."

I love that line! 

So very true. To the Christian the ends never justifies the means.

• Whew, I thought it was just me that was having trouble thinking of specific storylines.  Ditto everything Steve said so powerfully.  I would also add a qualifier to Steve's fourth point about Force: Use it carefully.

Several Artists/writers have beautifully deplicted Spiderman's or Batman's refusal to slide into furious and frustrated vigilantism.  Theme: You can't act monsterously in order to do away with a monster,  and you can't even morally condone a crime against a criminal through your own inaction .  Probably one of my favorite Batman storylines is  Batman #519 by DC Comics:  Black Spider: Web of Scars ,1995,  in which Batman has to save a crimeboss from an assassin.  Doug Molench is the writer who opens up Batman's inner angst while Kelly Jones and John Beatty draw up some pretty cool action scenes. 

•    I've been thinking about this...

Unfortunately, I'm drawing a blank myself. No one single story has come up... especially since I really stopped following comics way back around the time of Mike Zeck's "Kraven's Last Hunt" Spider-Man storyline. I kinda wandered away after that. (Picking up stuff from time to time, but nothing seriously.)

But that being said... I was thinking about comics in general- classic super-hero stuff- and I was thinking that the whole genre is really based on a Christian view of the world. Here's what I mean...

1. Good and evil: Christianity holds to the concept that there is good and evil. Many worldviews reject that idea outright, preferring to see shades of gray, or denying reality altogether. But the Bible clear states there is righteousness and sin, good and evil. The distinctions are crystal clear. Classic super-hero styled comics operate under the same idea. Good guys versus bad guys.
    2. Good is stronger: Classic super-hero stories also hold to the idea that good is not only better, but stronger. The good guys win. Not easily, surely, and at a cost, but they win. I heard one person say when asked his views on end time prophecies and timelines found in the book of Revelation, and I paraphrase: I really don't pay too much attention to that stuff. All I know is that things get really bad, a lot of people suffer, but we win in the end. ...He's right. We win because Christ wins. Good wins.
    3. Sacrifice: The whole concept of the super-hero is one built on sacrifice. No super-hero is forced to fight, or do good. Superman could just as easily spend his life living for himself, and exploring the universe. Spider-Man could have continued to dominate the pro-wrestling world, have multiple titles, and live in a fancy house. And so on, and so on... but what drives the hero is an overriding drive to DO good. ("Do unto others...") To do good is an action, not merely an idea. They sacrifice their time, and blood to confront evil while often times doing so from behind a mask. The mask is what gets the glory, if there is any, but the man doesn't. Captain America is loved, but Steve Rogers is unknown. Batman is respected, but Bruce Wayne (that evil 1-Percenter)? Eh, it depends. ...I guess my point is that the classic super-hero does what he does without pay, and often without thanks. He does what he does because it is the RIGHT thing to do, and he heeds a very strong moral call. A very Christian idea.
    4. Force: This one is more touchy, but God very often calls people to use force against evil in the Scriptures. We see this very much in the Old Testament, but for those that would argue we don't see it in the New, let us not forget that we are reading about the SAME God in both the Jewish and Christian Scriptures. He has not changed. Jesus never told a centurion NOT to be a centurion, yes? And force is the centurion's business. Physical force against an violent enemy is Biblical. Obviously, circumstances and situations demand careful consideration, but as an idea it is quite Biblical. ...The super-hero lives by that idea. Someone once said "in order for evil men to prevail, good men need do nothing." Or words to that effect. In any case, it is very true.

In any case, I'm sure there are more parallels. These are just off the top of my head. (Anyone wanna chime in?) 

It should also be noted that these simple ideas resonate in a big way with people. They might not realize it, and they may even deny it when pointed out, but this Christian based idea of a hero in a world of good and evil SELLS big to the masses. And not just comics. Braveheart. Die Hard. Gladiator. This idea is Hollywood's bread and butter.

And it resonates within people because A) that IS the way the world IS- meaning that it is reality- and B) they are responding to the Truth that lies in their hearts. (And they are indeed without excuse when they deny it.)

It might be interesting to find any story, and see the Christian message or values played out within it.

Anyhoo.... just a few thoughts.

This reply was deleted.