CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Replies

• Red might not be....But what about Fruit punch!

You make a good case D.L. I've been meaning to download theManga Studio trial version, because I was going to go digital a while back. I did do part of a piece with Sketchbook for Galaxy a few weeks ago. But I'm still so use to coloring with a mouse instead of a stylus.

• Manga studio is roughly $70 you can find older versions for about $10 or $15. CHeck Fry's or Tiger Direct, they have sales from time time where you can get it for 100% off, you pay for it and they send you a refund. I bought a few versions like this and gave them away. 

and Mel... "Red" IS NOT A KOOL AIDE flavor!

• I like Kool Aide....

My only issue is if you already have photoshop then I would stick with that unless you have funds to buy another program.

My other issh is why is it most of these "newer" programs keep claiming they have this aspect of photoshop or just adding this part of photoshop-though photoshop has had the "parts" for years and years. I use a 10 year old photoshop CS2 that I'm still learning new things that it can do.

Now coloring-hands down I feel photoshop is the Master. But I can't speak about it creating comics, but I wonder...

• My suspicions are that

#1 a lot of artists simply dont know, though its been around for a while artists are still learning how to do it digitally

#2 digital art its not taught in art school, and if it is adobe products are the platform. In my masters in digital art I run into this all the time. Other students are VERY far behind simply because all they know is photoshop. I would say half never used Adobe Illustrator and of those "half" half never used Micromedia FreeHand or Corel Draw. Those in the industry will tell you FreeHand is a better program hands down for vector art, but the Adobe empire bought them out. Discontinued FreeHand (nor did they incorporate what made it so good into illstrator), but kept FireWorks.

#3 most artist dont care.

#4 95% of artists have drank adobe's Kool Aide, and just think its the best there is. They support the notion with the reasoning of "I bought this version of photoshop for nearly $400. How can MangaStudio which costs $75 be just as good or better." I respond "yeah right...  like you even own a licensed version of photoshop" or are willing to spend the $$ for a creative cloud account." At that time they hang their heads low and have no response... which leads me to believe, they "drank the adobe Kool Aide.  

• I feel like the industry preaches the Adobe software a lot more, but I agree with D.L. that I see more and more independent professionals praise Manga Studios, (like Gabe from Penny Arcade.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them." - Romans 12:6a

GraphicallyChristian.com

• Some people use a butter knife instead of a flat head screw driver. It works but its not always the most efficient way.

This is how i see using photoshop to create comics. It works, but there are quicker and more effective ways.

• lol

Melchizedek Todd said:

Yo! Yo! Yo! D.L. Maffet my Brotha in Comic art! How you be dissin' Photoshop like dat! Photoshop been my main home-skillet for years. True dat! Photoshop is a OG that don't forgets where he came from! Photoshop is the main dizzle-mamizzle-freezizzle from manilla-sizzle-two-time-king kong gririzzle! Word, BoYYYYY!!!

(Ahem) It's 2am and I need to go to bed. I never used photoshop to draw comics, I just use it to color and fix art pages, but here is a link to a guy who use it to create comics-http://freddieart.com/DigitallyDrawing.htm

drawing software?
    Does any body have any suggestions on a comic drawing software? what do you use?
  • That is pretty cool. Is this for a story?

• Thanks Jonathan! I have photoshop CS6 and I've done a lot of art with it no problem. (like the one below- drawn by hand and colored in photoshop) I was just curious if there was a program recommended that would cut some of the time in half. 3884656098?profile=original

• If you're looking for software to color comics, GIMP is a free program that's a lot like Photoshop.

This reply was deleted.