CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Replies

• The only reason I would suggest MS is because it will vectorize the lines so they look sleek, and they have a tool to bolden the lines. Outside of that, PS is fine, and I hear that people will use MS for lines and then PS for coloring and everything else. 

• Yo! Yo! Yo! D.L. Maffet my Brotha in Comic art! How you be dissin' Photoshop like dat! Photoshop been my main home-skillet for years. True dat! Photoshop is a OG that don't forgets where he came from! Photoshop is the main dizzle-mamizzle-freezizzle from manilla-sizzle-two-time-king kong gririzzle! Word, BoYYYYY!!!

(Ahem) It's 2am and I need to go to bed. I never used photoshop to draw comics, I just use it to color and fix art pages, but here is a link to a guy who use it to create comics-http://freddieart.com/DigitallyDrawing.htm

• Manga Studio 5. (or 4). Hands down the BEST in creating comics. But there is a process to creating comics digitally. If you do not have a background or basic working knowledge of graphic software, expect to be frustrated. I have over 10 yrs experience in photoshop and adobe illustrator, so for me MS was easy to pick up and I was comfortable in using it in about a week.

here is a rule of thumb, Photoshop IS NOT (I repeat) IS NOT an art program it is a photo manipulation program that people force to paint and draw with. Manga Studio, Illustrator, SAI, SketchBook Pro are Art programs designed to create artwork. My opinion is that PS should be used to ad special effects to your art after it was created in another art program. 

As you progress you will find that you will have to use multiple applications to make your project a success. For instance I use SketchUp for backgrounds, I use Illustrator for logos and text. 

objects, I use Manga Studio for page production& lettering, Photoshop for special effects, and InDesign for Published page production and DreamWeaver for Online page production.

There are going to be people who disagree with me about PS and the other programs  but I using my process i can put out 3 inked lettered pages ready for flatting a day.

below is a sample of my print and web graphic novel The Soul of a Hero using all the concepts i mentioned above

page 1 C blue line sample.jpg

DPD&Y Production.png

Page 1-C Bottom Logo.png

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3884655511?profile=original
  • I agree with Ralph Manga Studio is by far the best for layout and the g-pen is amazing! You can also do perspective. 

• For 1 panel comics I have used Samsung's S Note program. It is simple and great. See here for example: Silly Daddy Better than Pizza Comic

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-nCyf0_F5JIk/U1l5XLrPteI/AAAAAAAAHsQ/k9wPVwViDi8/w399-h709-no/Chi…
  • It's not comic book software, but I just got Art Rage Studio and I really like the brushes in it. They look like real paint, ink etc. Works really well with a pressure-sensitive tablet like a Wacom. I also have GIMP, which is free program. It's basically free photoshop. It's not specifically for comics either, though.

• Manga Studios is one of the best.

This reply was deleted.