CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Daredevil: Dark Nights

The first issue of a project I've been writing and drawing for Marvel -- Daredevil: Dark Nights #1 -- was released last week. 

The reason for linking to it here is hinted at in the first caption of the first page...seen at the link below:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/prev_img.php?disp=img&pid=1370972091

God bless--
Lee

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I understand (w/ the dad) the irony; it's about being a fighter, havin a general character trait of perseverance, and not being a victim. But(so), if you're not a fighter(you don't fight), have no trait(s) of perseverance(ur explication), what's that make you? -victim.

Is how I read it. And/tho i'd say, it's not honorable to break a promise(s).

It is a good trait to have but i prefer: longsuffering, endurance, patience, and (then) perseverance^^.

Oh, and a very Happy Dad's Day to all the dad's out there.

• Appreciate it, Steve -- thanks very much.

Steve Crespo said:

Great work as always, Lee!

The first issue of a project I've been writing and drawing for Marvel -- Daredevil: Dark Nights #1 -- was released last week.  The reason for linki…
  • Yes, I can see how you might confuse the point, Alika.  Matt's Dad made Matt promise to never be like him.  The promise elicited was a more general one -- but, yes, the fighting is specifically mentioned after the general promise.

What is intended  following is irony -- and it's not about beating up men, but about being a fighter, in general (Daredevil is not in the snow as the direct result of a fight) -- not giving up.  He saw his Dad not give up.  yes, of course, Jack's specific application was at times imperfect (the fighting).  The lesson isn't in the specific application, but rather in the general character trait of perseverance.  He never gave up at anything.

The irony, of course, being that Matt sometimes can honor his father by demonstrating the character trait while applying it to better situations/circumstances.

That's the story.

I think that's a really good character trait to have -- perse

Alika Parsons said:

It says, Matt promised to never be like his father. Beating up men --in a ring or back alley-- no man wants that sort of life for his son. Then, --Teaching Matt that sometimes, to honor his father. He must break the promise-- --And emulate the one who in word and deed taught him-- --don't be a victim--and don't give up.

So from that; Matt's going to break his promise, beat up men, and emulate his dad not being a victim -cause he's fighting.

And no, I don't believe that. And I don't know what you're doing, but that is a good question ask.

The first issue of a project I've been writing and drawing for Marvel -- Daredevil: Dark Nights #1 -- was released last week.  The reason for linki…
  • Nice work, Lee. Thanks for sharing. And it was great seeing some scripture in a Marvel book.

It has been established that Matt Murdock is Catholic. So, this first page makes sense to me.

• Great work as always, Lee!

• It says, Matt promised to never be like his father. Beating up men --in a ring or back alley-- no man wants that sort of life for his son. Then, --Teaching Matt that sometimes, to honor his father. He must break the promise-- --And emulate the one who in word and deed taught him-- --don't be a victim--and don't give up.

So from that; Matt's going to break his promise, beat up men, and emulate his dad not being a victim -cause he's fighting.

And no, I don't believe that. And I don't know what you're doing, but that is a good question ask.

• Hi Alika,

You seem to have surmised an awful lot from one page!  No one is correlating Daredevil with the savior -- quite the opposite.  But Matt, in this story, is a reader of the scriptures -- a few come back to him in different parts of the story.  I have no desire to portray Matt as a born again believer, for as soon as that would happen, the next writer would do something completely antithetical to it.  The aim is to have Matt encounter things that evidence God's presence, and challenge his own views on a couple things pertaining to eternal matters.

Regarding your question as to how not beating men up makes one a victim, where did you get that from?  The text doesn't say that.

Do you believe the character, Daredevil, is THE devil, Alika?  And that I am promoting _the_ devil?

God bless--

Lee

Alika Parsons said:

idk Lee, the scripture's sort of outta place, doesn't really match the universe, and it's kinda offensive. Like they're trying to insult our intelligence, correlate the saviour w/ a blind guy dressed up as the devil. Yeah i get it devil's the goodguy..

Isaiah 1:18 - Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

and the blockquotes are kinda askew how does not beating up men equate to being a victim? Not fighting, doesn't make you a victim, just sayin'. how you can promote/support/add to/create for the devil is beyond me, i guess it's fulfilling your needs, or a need..

• idk Lee, the scripture's sort of outta place, doesn't really match the universe, and it's kinda offensive. Like they're trying to insult our intelligence, correlate the saviour w/ a blind guy dressed up as the devil. Yeah i get it devil's the goodguy..

Isaiah 1:18 - Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

and the blockquotes are kinda askew how does not beating up men equate to being a victim? Not fighting, doesn't make you a victim, just sayin'. how you can promote/support/add to/create for the devil is beyond me, i guess it's fulfilling your needs, or a need..

• Hey, Ralph -- not meant to tease!  The book is out.  (and...thanks)

God bless--

• You are such a tease!  Outstanding work.

This reply was deleted.