CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

christian artwork and the Hokey factor!

I grew up in the church and I can honestly say that any creative christian endeavor always left me thinking just one word. HOKEY. Just take a look at the christian-themed childrens programing and books and even movies. I hear christians say this all the time about christian movies, “That was a wonderful movie, such an incredible message!” the truth is that christian art is terrible.(Generally speaking) the message is wonderful because the Gospel is wonderful. But the way the gospel is presented is so distracting. I don't think I am all that great as an artist I am competent but believe me there are people who make my knees tremble out there! So don't think I am saying I have arrived!

But I think people in the church see art as an easy way to serve the Lord and besides its fun, right? If people approached construction like the way Christians approach any art field the houses would not stand! There is no other industry where where people can think they can excel with out putting the work into learning the craft. People think that just because they want to serve God in an art form they shouldn't have to study that art because God will just bless them cause their hearts are in the right place? I'm not saying that it can't happen but I have never seen it happen. Hey I wanna build your house for you, I have never worked with carpenter or studied house framing but I really want to serve in a construction site. But of course with art you can pretty much say that. On the other hand you have incredible artist like say Glen keene who is a christian and animated so many movies at Disney feature animation and never really take a stand on all the new age junk that comes out of that studio. So what would I like to see? Someone better then me taking a stand and starting up a studio that is clear on its christian convictions and making some quality artwork and storytelling. But like that bugs bunny cartoon goes.. “ THIS LOOKS LIKE A JOB FOR SUPERMAN!..... but, since he aint around I guess I'll hafta do it myself..”

your thoughts?

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I agree with most comments here. Most artists should take the time and think about what their vision or art philosophy is. Unfortunately in the comic field (Christian and otherwise) there is a lot of bad art and production. I also believe we have a lot of people who may have a passion but they don't know or understand comics, what works and what doesn't. I think there is a huge opportunity for us as Christians to produce some phenomenal work with the help of the Lord!
  • I agree!!! I think it should be our job as a part of CCAS to take as much effort in helping others improve (through comments and otherwise) as we spend on ourselves :D

Brien Sparling said:

1)    There is a wide range of taste(and tasteless) in the non-Christian world as well. Amateurs litter the Art field in crafts, karaoke events, talent shows, unloading their visions as horrifying Christmas gifts or occupying lonely little tables at Indie Comic events.  It would take a Barna survey to tell if Christianity harbors more hokey art efforts than the general populace.

2)    I think one of the main points of this thread is an appeal for more effort and persistence in improving ones art.  Amen!  However, improvement is much, much quicker if it’s done out in the open, where others can view, comment, encourage and critique; which is one of the main functions of CCAS; whoopa!  However, this highly valuable function doesn’t work if folks don’t comment.  Even hitting the “Like” button has some value to the artist, just a little confirmation that a particular piece made a hit with someone.

3)    Busy professionals and semi-professionals can contribute: excellent art, specific tutorials, and knowledgeable critiques.  A huge thanks to everyone at CCAS who is currently doing this, it is a ministry to God and I know I’m benefiting.  Thank you.

I grew up in the church and I can honestly say that any creative christian endeavor always left me thinking just one word. HOKEY. Just take a look at…
  • Agreed!

I think it is beholden upon us, as believers, to strive to produce work BETTER than that produced in the secular market--if that means studying, then study. And while I'm the first to talk education (Duh, I teach Creative Writing!)...MOST of what makes an artist "good," is simply hours and hours at the craft--whatever that may be.

But, DO study. Figure out the things you can do to improve your own work--how can you make it less "hokey."

I know that most of you already know about Gideon that starting in just a few days (http://www.gideonfilmfestival.com/) and that is all about artists improving their craft...I teach at writing conferences, etc...there are outlets, so take advantage of them. HERE, too...ask questions--start a topic about something YOU want to know--post art and ask for feedback--NOT just here, but wherever like-artists congregate.

It takes work...but if it is worth doing, it's worth doing WELL! :)

Gideonfilmfestival.com

• yeah i agree with you, i really did not mean to say if your not good enough don't start! And God does use us in diiferent ways, some go to school and others do not. But like buzz said we all have to put alot of time and work into it. It sounds like that is what you are doing too! so keep it up brutha!

The BunniAngel said:

I understand where you all are coming from, but I also feel that if God truly gives you a gift, then He will put it on your heart to develop it. I still have my first drawings, and I have never had formal training. I took one official art class my senior year of college. It was a second semester senior level class for only art majors but the professor saw my work and wanted me in it simply to show me techniques on drawing hands. I was able to do all the assignments given in the class as if I had been taking all the classes prior. (though i sucked at human faces) I'm not bragging I'm just saying that the way you make it sound is just because I haven't been taking tons of art classes I'm not worthy of using my gifts for God. (and i refuse to be taught by art professors as All except for that one have told me countless times that what I draw is not art)

I do believe that if you are going to do something for God you should put all your efforts towards it and really make it your best. Just like God didn't accept anything but the best tithes and offerings, I feel He feels the same about our talents. If we are going to do it, we have to do it to the best of our abilities.

I grew up in the church and I can honestly say that any creative christian endeavor always left me thinking just one word. HOKEY. Just take a look at…

• wow! you really said some great things Brien! amen to everything you wrote. maybe we should have a place where we submit art to a group of art seniors that would critique the drawings?
    Brien Sparling said:

1)    There is a wide range of taste(and tasteless) in the non-Christian world as well. Amateurs litter the Art field in crafts, karaoke events, talent shows, unloading their visions as horrifying Christmas gifts or occupying lonely little tables at Indie Comic events.  It would take a Barna survey to tell if Christianity harbors more hokey art efforts than the general populace.

2)    I think one of the main points of this thread is an appeal for more effort and persistence in improving ones art.  Amen!  However, improvement is much, much quicker if it’s done out in the open, where others can view, comment, encourage and critique; which is one of the main functions of CCAS; whoopa!  However, this highly valuable function doesn’t work if folks don’t comment.  Even hitting the “Like” button has some value to the artist, just a little confirmation that a particular piece made a hit with someone.

3)    Busy professionals and semi-professionals can contribute: excellent art, specific tutorials, and knowledgeable critiques.  A huge thanks to everyone at CCAS who is currently doing this, it is a ministry to God and I know I’m benefiting.  Thank you.

• 1)    There is a wide range of taste(and tasteless) in the non-Christian world as well. Amateurs litter the Art field in crafts, karaoke events, talent shows, unloading their visions as horrifying Christmas gifts or occupying lonely little tables at Indie Comic events.  It would take a Barna survey to tell if Christianity harbors more hokey art efforts than the general populace.

• I understand where you all are coming from, but I also feel that if God truly gives you a gift, then He will put it on your heart to develop it. I still have my first drawings, and I have never had formal training. I took one official art class my senior year of college. It was a second semester senior level class for only art majors but the professor saw my work and wanted me in it simply to show me techniques on drawing hands. I was able to do all the assignments given in the class as if I had been taking all the classes prior. (though i sucked at human faces) I'm not bragging I'm just saying that the way you make it sound is just because I haven't been taking tons of art classes I'm not worthy of using my gifts for God. (and i refuse to be taught by art professors as All except for that one have told me countless times that what I draw is not art)

I do believe that if you are going to do something for God you should put all your efforts towards it and really make it your best. Just like God didn't accept anything but the best tithes and offerings, I feel He feels the same about our talents. If we are going to do it, we have to do it to the best of our abilities.

• I feel most of the comments listed. I agree with the "Hokey factor". But As I have said before We as believers are to blame. (IN GENERAL) We allow for Biblical stories, comics and art to be cast in a realm for preschool aged Sunday school classes. There are powerful pieces and projects out there, and we as artists and writers are the heralds for them to come to life. Look at your talent as an anointed gift. It is up to you to develop it into something greater. If we as christian/believers take a stronger and more professional stance for our projects we should see a great revival and stirring in our area. So I will pray for you that God give you the strength, creativity, drive, and desire to be a pioneer. And know this... I am beside you in  your endeavor... because I too share a similar view in seeing christian comics becoming less hokey.

• I'd say don't do what you want, do what the Holy Spirit wants you to do, we can never fulfill our wants we'll jus keep on wanting more that way.

I don't think Joe Spicer's art looks that hokey, not saying you did i know you're talking in generalities. Matter of fact that Hand of the Morningstar's art looks pretty good too. Then again i've not read it so i can't say how hokey the story is, which is probably the main factor of which you're commenting on. But, i don't think it's coincidental the only things getting mainstream'd, paint christians or christianity as a whole as being hokey, it's the way of the world. And if you try to startup on your own w/o a major publish backin you'll more than likely find yourself bankrupt, or for some unforeseeable hiccup you'll be sued into bankruptcy, and if you're really good you'll find yourself in prison on trumped up charges invented specially for you.

thanks for pointing out the newageism of Disney a lot of "christians" try to downplay it.

Joe Spicer's Discussions
    Joe Spicer's Discussions | The CCAS has provided opportunities for fellowship and mentoring among Christian comic book professionals and enthusiasts…
  •    Couldn't agree more!

The problem as I see it is two-fold. First, as it already has been stated, many feel that since they have a heart to serve God with their "talents", therefore they need no formal training.

I cannot tell you how many painful sining performances I've had to sit through because someone "feels" they are led to sing for the Lord. Wow. Hey, I'm sure God appreciates their heart, but I'd appreciate if they gave my ears a break.

When Solomon was gathering his workers to build the temple, he said: "Now send me a skilled man to work in gold, silver, brass and iron, and in purple, crimson and violet fabrics, and who knows how to make engravings, to work with the skilled men whom I have in Judah and Jerusalem, whom David my father provided." (2 Chr. 2:7)

Note he didn't ask for anyone "who feels they are led by the Lord".

The second problem is that too many Christians think that Christian art of any kind ought to give the Gospel, or directly talk about Jesus. That someone ought to be on their knees asking for God's salvation after seeing Christian painting or comic.

Again, I cannot tell you how many criticisms I have heard of Christian music because it doesn't mention Jesus enough.

That kind of creative restriction is stifling, and what inevitably happens is that the work lacks depth and feels contrived. Plus, it is heavy on the corny factor.

Christian art needs to be comfortable enough to spread it's wings. It needs to be mature enough to glorify God in any number of ways, by touching on any number of subjects. We all might take a lesson from God Himself. Look how varied is His creation. Creatures, plants, and landscapes of every possible variation. God did not restrict Himself to putting the symbol of a cross or a fish on everything He touched. (A fish with a symbol of a fish on it? Interesting.) He certainly could have, but instead we see in creation a Creator having fun.

And, yes, I think God has fun.

Christian art ought to be about goodness, and beauty. Yes. I have problems with Christian tales of zombies, and axe murderers... but stories from every genre that lift up virtue, or beauty, or deal in redemption ought to be explored. 

(I've said this before but the film "The Mission" with DeNiro is a PERFECT example. Also, the film "Bella" is amazing!)

In short, we should be about works that make the world a better place. That might cause someone who does not know the Lord to be more inclined towards Him, even if they don't know it.

I would say create whatever you like, folks, but do so knowing that you have been saved by the blood of Christ. 

This reply was deleted.