CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Character name and Copy Rights

Hey all,

I've not been around here much for a couple years mostly because I haven't had anything relevant to comics to say or do. But now I am partnering with a great ministry and we are launching a web comic that we hope to work into print and possibly branch out to other media some day if it gathers an audience.

My big question is that all of the material is all original, but a couple names fall into the previously used category and this is concerning my partners. The biggest concern is a character named The Spectre, who is a shadow-dwelling street-level hero, and nothing at all like DC's Spectre in looks or powers. I personally don't see an issue since it is not the name of the comic series, but as I said, the partners are twitchy about it.

Another name I am using is Sentinel, which I chose after heavy searching through various thesaurus because I wanted the character to be a protector or guardian type. Sentinel seems fairly unfamiliar to me as a hero name.

So my big question to you all is this: Does it really matter (given that there is nothing new under the sun - I.e. it's all be done before) that the names of characters are the same as other characters from other companies as long as they are distinctly not a knock-off?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Harsh

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks you guys. Always some good thoughts and advice here. I'm working on altering or changing most of the names, which really stinks since I've grown fond of them as is, but I believe it's necessary. As a friend actually working in comics told me - we would likely win any copyright issue, but the legal fees (by design) would drown any small press when going up against the big dogs. So true.

The issue with the names are thus: Each character is barely graduated high school (with the exception of two), each are middle-American young adults with middle-American perspectives, and this series is not intended to be so much 'Christian' and preachy as showing a Biblical worldview through the character's actions, reactions, and attitudes toward their very special plight in life while juggling the stress of college life, jobs, relationships, etc.

So. I need character names that sound like the characters themselves chose them to make the story flow without too many obvious forced plot-like hot spots.

Prayers are much appreciated! and thanks again for all the info. I'll keep you all posted.

Harsh

• I agree with Buzz. But will challenge you to come up with more creative names. Sentinel and Specter though sound cool and iconic are almost common and clique. My take, try a Hebrew or Greek word that means the same or similar to the English ones you are using. Shamar looks like it may be close to sentinel. But it might not have the "pop" you are looking for. That may help you also since your project sounds biblical based. Honest creative criticism coming from a point of advice and respect. I will be in prayer that God gives you the anointing, wisdom and creativity to over come this small hurdle ! keep me posted on your progress!

• I don't know if it applies, but remember the movie "The Karate Kid"? They had to get permission from DC comics because there was a character named the same in one of their hero organizations. So it may matter, and if it's a grey area, it might be better to err on the side of caution? Just my thoughts, apologies.

• I think it might be more of a trademarking issue than copyright issue. It's probably okay that you use the names as long as you don't use them in a marketing capacity i.e. name the comic after the character, sort of how DC calls their Captain Marvel comic Shazam instead of Captain Marvel. I'm no copyright expert or anything though, that is just my first thought.

This reply was deleted.