CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Replies

• This was an excellent read; thank you so much for posting this!

One of the reasons I've joined here is that my art has been suffering because I've been trying to force it into the mold of "acceptable christian art", and not really drawing what I want or like. Yes, I love the Lord and want to illustrate Him and other characters, but I've been stagnating, and my work has been lackluster and without drive or focus. I'm glad to know I'm not alone, as I have a project I'm working on and it's been languishing because I feel almost "drowned".

• I saw this article recently as well.  Sometimes I think we artists (visual or otherwise) are "blessed" with the condition of already knowing deeply what it feels like to an outcast.  It is kind of odd that those in the church don't always recognize it as a place for common ground.  I guess the task of bridging that communication could rest with us, if it might be received.

• The very thing I've been thinking about lately. I used to feel bad because my art and my story lines were not inherently "Christian". Meaning that the heroes shout Bible verses at the villains or there is a mention of John 3:16 somewhere in the script. But I couldn't figure out a way to fit those in without making everything sound corny and I knew that wouldn't honor God.

I was still agonizing over this fact until recently, when it was pointed out to me that my art doesn't necessarily have to convey a "Christian" message in order to be honoring to God; it just has to be good.

This reply was deleted.