CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

A posed question......

Greetings society! I hope everyone is truly blessed and highly favored. K' here's my question. How do you feel about creating a super hero themed book with biblical situations and solutions but still maintain the fantasy. For example, We all know where superman comes from ,but his code of ethics scream Christian . And , If Captain America ain't saved ..... well you get the Idea. Please write me back and tell me what you think.

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I say go for it, but try to steer away from the typical foundations used and dig deeper and break some new ground creatively.  The "Christian warrior's" been done numerous time already.  I personally would love to see well rounded fantasy characters dealing with spiritual issue and tensions in a more realistic fashion like we all do in real life. 

After all, the movies that end up being the most powerful metphors for spiritual truths are those where the message is more underlying and subtle, rather than "throw it in your face", style.  Go for it!

bob-

• I've noticed many christians being put of by any sort of 'magic' in christian comics/stories etc... which always struck a nerve with me. God gave Moses the staff that turned to a snake, Jesus parted the Red Sea, there are so many instances of what we could call 'magic' in the bible.

Like Kevin said, God used what the people understood... I see nothing wrong with it.

In my world the powers are all from God, and its in terms of spiritual weapons (you visually see things like love, faith, hope etc...).

So go for it!!!!

• I think it is a great Idea it is really neat I would do if I was a good writer.

• Well, I am trying to do just that. I think you can have characters like metahumans from DC and mutants from Marvel and all the other power induced heroes and still come across with Christian values and morals. Still be able to convey the very parables Christ used but in a modern style.

Christ used things that the people of the time understood, why not do the same with comics and superheroes? It is good to see a dark hero emerge from time to time. And you have to admit that we all where under the power of Satan until we seen the light. Powers (talents and skills) we "acquired" while in darkness, can be used better in God's grace and mercy than they every could in the dark. When we realized that the power we thought came from Satan was actually God's power that we miss used. Just something to think about.

I have to admit, I do like you work and the hero concepts that you have come up with. Great work! Keep it up!
  • How literal do you intend to be?

Christ used parables and stories to convey spiritual principles. In the stories, the status of the person's salvation was not relevant but it applied to spiritual precepts.
    • I guess the direction that I want to go in with all the character that I create ,I want them to stand for something positive but make it as realistic as possible. Take for instance Batmans war on crime or, Superman in his fight for truth justic and the american way. Being a part of Gods kingdom I believe that the themes should be based on superheroism and not darkness . Evil comes in many forms , I guess I don't want to fall in that trap. There are a lot of creators allowing their origins to be based on the devil giving the hero his or her powers. to me , that lacks imagination . Its fantasy but , we can still use biblical princibles in every thing we write or illustrate. that way we can capture the saved and the unsaved. Just a thought.
  • Same here, just the only problem I have is that everyone is doing "safe Christian Heroes" I am actually doing a dark themed, horror book, but the character isn't christian in the beginning but as you go along he gives his life to the Lord and you will see the change.
  • Well, I think that it's good, seeing as I am working with a writer at the moment that is doing just that! :D Though I am open for more contracts :D
This reply was deleted.