CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Please help me...

Okay, here's the deal: I've been serious about art now for about three years, and though I've always leaned towards being a comic-artist... Lately I've been thinking about studying animation. I'm only 15, so I obviously have a while to think about all this, but I wanted to ask: If you go to an Art College, any art college, will they teach you how to animate? Or are there only particular schools that teach animation? Thanks for all the replies I know I'll receive, and God Bless!PS: I know literally nothing about animation... Just figured I'd mention that.

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for all the advice everyone, I think I've got my head screwed on straight -- for the time being at least! Right now, I'm not worried about becoming an animator... The bigger goal at hand is to become a better artist, period. After I do so, if animation is still a thought, I'll have to read up on it and then get the different program's to help prepare me for art college. And I'll worry about choosing a college when that time comes. (But still, thanks for all the great suggestions everyone!) But that is all obviously a long ways from now... For now, I'm going to draw like there's no tomorrow and pray I get better and better with every growing second. That is going to be a particularly hard challenge with regular school now in play.

Again, thanks for all the encouraging replies everyone! This is actually my first time using the forums... Glad to see it works... lol Hopefully I can get some brain-juice flowing and post some drawings here on the CCAS ASAP.
  • Praise the Lord Baron,

The school I'd attend if I could is the Joe Kubert School in Dover, NJ. They offer an animation and comic art program. They are an accredited "trade school" such that you'd be eligible to apply for financial assistance, if needed. Check them out on the web: http://www.kubertsworld.com/kubertschool/KubertSchool.htm

Also, the latest issue of DRAW! magazine (published by Twomorrows and available thru your local comic book store or from their website) provides a list and overview of schools.

God bless,
    Capmiracle
    • Well, I would prefer going to an art college in Michigan, because I live here in Saginaw... But I am looking at all these schools, and considering every one of them -- and thanks for the suggestion! One thing I do have to say about that school I found interesting was the way they promoted themselves as more of a comic college... Very interesting.
      • Oh and don't forget the old standby...
        Cal Arts. They had Glen Keane teach there, and just look at who's left there before (
        details to who they are here):

• Man, I was mainly interested in that school because Craig McCracken came from they... (And he played a large role in in Cartoon Network history) But if you look at who some of those guys in the above image are... Wow!
  • The Art Institute of Dallas, TX is a great place for learning a wide genre of art, from animation, comics, gaming, etc. If you want to start now, in practicing, start self-learning Flash Pro 8, and there are many animation books out there, for cartooning and others :D just google "Learn How to Draw Animation" books and you will more than likely find something :D
    • I'll have to check out some of those books, thanks Christina!
      • Well, if you're picking up any book anytime soon, make sure to pick up "How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way" by Stan Lee and John Buscema. It's more realated to drawing comics, obviously, but it'll be a good primer for you as you get better at drawing, whatever decision you make regarding animation. Easily one of the most helpful books I've yet found. It's not a book about how to draw spider-man or the hulk, it's about how to draw comics as a whole, and it is great at showing you how to take something really lame and punch it up to make it fun. Really good stuff in there.

If you decide to go into animation, I have some recommendations for you, but I'll save those for later.

~R
        • I forgot to ask but, how many years to you spend in art college?
          • depends what degree you go for. Bachelor's programs run 3-4 years, I went to an associate's program, finished in just under 2 years. I think some schools run their bachelor's degree programs in 2 years, but that's pretty intense...
This reply was deleted.