CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

The Good Shepherd, and the Prince

In many fantasy stories written by Christian authors a Christ-like figure is present, guiding, healing, and providing for the characters. Two well-known examples would be Aslan the from C.S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia, and Gandalf the wizard from Tolkien's world of Middle-earth. Neither of these two are directly referred to as a symbol of Christ in the stories, but they do take on His characteristics, and even enact some of His story. Aslan and Gandalf were both slain for the sake of others, and were resurrected. Aslan leads the children to the new Narnia as the age old world of Narnia is destroyed, and Gandalf is there at the end of The Return of the King to welcome Frodo and Bilbo to their final resting place. In a story set in our world it may be easier to incorporate Christ into the theme, but in a fantasy world where Christ never came another figure has to take His place, and represent him symbolically. That is one of the things that makes Christian values in a fantasy story seem more real to the reader. So what form can you give Christ so that the character still seems Christ-like enough to be believable? He is referred to in the Bible as the Good Shepherd, and is frequently called a Prince of Peace in song. You could use those forms, or maybe create a character who is the image of Him, but with a different name and story? What do you think is the best way to go?

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Dear Casey:

Given the nature of the story, maybe you could take direction from the jobs He did during His ministry. For example, Jesus was a carpenter by profession as well as a Rabbi. It might be interesting to have a Christ figure as a woodcarver or owner/proprieter of a carpentry shop. Alternatively, it might be a good choice to present Him as a schoolteacher or professor, especially if your story's heroes are teenagers. He also traveled exstensively, so what if He were on the same bus or plane or boat as your heroes? In an earlier post, I suggested a beach setting. In every beach movie I've seen there is a 'guru' dispensing wisdom to the main characters, which, in the Gospel of Mark, is kind of what He did. In a different sort of twist, maybe have Him fishing in the surf or from a pier for the hereos to encounter. It might even be a good choice to take a tip from "Quantum Leap" and present Him as a bartender or the manager of a restaurant. All would be good choices depending on the story.

• It might be interesting to show Him talking and dealing with people on the beach. The book of Mark seemed to focus on Christ's seashore sermons and Christ walking on the water would resonate well with surfers. If you placed Him in a locale like Venice Beach, the possibilities could be endless.

• I finally made it to the forums to check them out.

I've finished chapter 13 of my novel this past week (YEAH!). Inspirational themes abound in the novel. In many ways, I don't represent Christ by any one character, but aspects of Christ in a few. I have "The Message" which is a supernatural scroll that is left when a prince learns that "the greatest must serve" and destroys an "evil army". I also have Greymane, a lion that leads a band of men, worshipped as a god (in many respects). A HUGE amount of his dialogue is derived as I would imagine Jesus speaking to His followers - not to mention the lion's ability to know everyone's thoughts and how the lion handles that (again, like Jesus).

I will have another character that I'd like to introduce in the story in the future (Lord willing) that will take a strong Christ-like concept, and even an anti-Christ that is a deceiver, but that'll take more time and people to buy into the novel.

To comment on Aslan and Gandalf, I do see them as different given how each author viewed their story. Lewis' Aslan was a direct representation of Christ in many respects. The story and plot of the book followed Christian beliefs closely - including the timeline of many events. His story was very disciplined as a direct allegory. Tolkien had a looser way of doing it. He took a concept (the ring can easily be attached to sin) but then placed the concepts into his created world and let it become what it did. If it didn't fit as a symbol in our world, that was fine. The aforementioned ring concept was repeatedly claimed by Tolkien as "it was just a ring." And didn't allow for connections to other things (such as sin or the atom bomb as was frequently stated in the 60's and 70's). I admire what Lewis did, the restraint he had was amazing, but my story fits closer into Tolkien's perspective. I would love to try Lewis' way in the future though!

wf
    トップページ
    ナウでヤングな方の為のレンタルサーバーです。可愛いアドレスがたくさん!おこづかいでOKの格安プランは月額250円からだよ!
  • Christ appeared and spoke to the people of the ancient world as they expected him to look and sound. By that I mean, he was a man, he spoke their language (mostly), and he taught in visuals and story form so that they could understand better.
    We use those methods in our stories. The Christ figure should be able to relate to the core of the peoples of your world and to the readers as well. It's a tough job to make this character work. It's also rather tricky since most people are very particular about their religion and even more particular about their personal view of God.

I have become very inspired by both LotR and Narnia. Their mainstream presence has encouraged me a great deal, and I find it refreshing that the story is there if you wish to see it. :)
    • I'm really finding all of your input very helpful. I'm feeling more and more comfortable with the character I'm slowly designing, but I've known for a while that there are some holes I can't even see yet. Still, thanks for getting me thinking in the right direction.
  • Here is the symbol I use in my Children's parables for my Christ-like figure

• There is also the image of a King, returning to his kingdom, only to find......????

There is the freedom fighter, freeing a people from bondage/slavery.

A superhero, who is looked up to, by the people, as a savior of sorts.

Also the idea of restoration. Lives, lost loves, social positions, a nation, or reputations restored or redeemed.

Or simply sacrifice. There are many ways to show how people sacrifice for others. Whether, with their time, money, or their very lives.

You don't nesesarily have to create a character that is of great authority, stature and power, such as Aslan or Gandalf.

Ordinary, everyday-characters can be Christ-like by their choices and deeds. Just like us, we become more Christ-like through faith and obedience.
    God chose to work through the least qualified people. Moses was made into a deliver. David starts off as a shepherd and ends up as a warrior/king. Boaz, as a Kinsmen Redeemer.

Your story doesn't have to revolve around Christ-like characters, but an ongoing theme, too.
    • Casey I don't think when you are writing a story with a Christ-like figure there is really any right or wrong way of doing it. We all perceive things in many different way. A simple example would be asking a person what shade of red they see, i'm sure you'll get many shades. I for one in my children's parables I use a Gryphon named Avalon to represent Christ. I think it's dependent on the story your writing or illustrating that dictates what is needed. As it says in the Bible some where, "Be all things to all men".
  • I couldn't say which is the best way for anyone else, and I would be tempted to create different Christlike figures for different stories.

Two very short examples were given in sermons I heard when I was young. A defendant is on trial for his crimes. The judge finds him guilty, then sentences him to death. Then the judge steps down from the bench, and announces he himself will be executed in place of the condemned man.

In another allegory, a boy builds a functioning toy boat. He takes it to a lake and sets it afloat. But after a while, the boat drifts off and disappears. Later, the boy passes a shop window and sees his boat on displays. He purchases the boat and takes it home, saying, "You're twice mine, little boat. I made you and I bought you."

A judge delivering a sentence is a much different character than a boy playing with a boat. Both are different from a shepherd of Jesus' time. (In fact, the intricacies of shepherding are lost on much of today's Bible readership.) "Prince" is a title that may bear more meaning in countries that still have monarchies.

The possibilities vary with the imagination and understanding of the author.
This reply was deleted.