CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS
I know it's a dumb question for most of you but I really don't know how being disabeled an all...these characters are my only contribution in my life...not only are they more likable and sociable than I am, they're more my companions than any human I've known to date [no offense, mon amie(what's that in plural?)], save my papa. So basically if God takes them away I'll be right in the position Job was in the first round...I don't want anyone (or 'anything' to the ones who're creeped out by my stating my characters are as real as persons) else to replace them either! Yet, has anyone else gotten over this?

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It seems that the way you've been going about things hasn't worked...so yes...take a step back....don't be afraid of change, thats how we mature.

What do you do in the meantime?

Practice the first commandment- Love the LORD your GOD with ALL your HEART, MIND, and STRENGTH and love your nieghbor ( your mama, your papa and anyone you may come in contact with ) as yourself.

Practice, practice, practice.
          • I strongly recommend fellowship with other Christians. I work with a number Christians, in a workplace that hires people with physical and mental disabilities. So it is not hard to find someone to talk to, or someone who needs me to listen to them.

The ability to work with others' limitations is a requirement of the job. One of my co-workers has a very limited mentality and can only converse on a childlike level. It took him about a year to learn my name. Once he learns a person's name, he will impulsively repeat a certain phrase or idea to that person, over and over. So I have taught him to remind me to develop good habits. He understands, and reinforces my progress with praise. I wish others would catch on to this, as he has been a great help to me. All of us have something we can contribute.

But if you are looking for a variety of people who are as friendly and insightful as those on television, I doubt that you will find more than one or two, and not necessarily in your age group. I was reading a book on psychology recently, that pointed out two characteristics that are lacking in American mainstream society: patience and attention. It takes Americans longer to learn these skills.

You may be at a disadvantage in that you are not attending a church-affiliated school. Again, my husband recommended getting in touch with the campus chaplain of any of the other schools in the area. It's essential to find other people who are willing to make the effort to understand newcomers. The other young men who are reading this may have a better idea of which appropriate college-related ministries operate in your area.

P.S. The only good Mel Brooks movie I ever saw was "The Twelve Chairs." : )
            • Your counsel, Spike, sounds like the words of one who has wisdom. I've often feared that our country is progressing to a state of non-reality, where television and the internet provide a picture to our young people of an unrealizable world filled with beautiful people, scripted relationships and eternal happiness. Unfortunately, it's not that way. We live in a fallen world and the devil will do whatever he can to get us to focus on it instead of on God.

P.S. I've seen some really bad Mel Brooks films myself, but I still have to put in my vote for "Young Frankentstein." :)
              • Thanks! I suppose you could call it wisdom, but I am an Adult Third-Culture Kid, and we tend to have a more objective understanding of our own culture.

"That's Franken-STEEN!"
        • Amen Michael. I drew cartoons for more than twenty years before God stirred my heart and I listened to what He wanted me to do. Actually, who knows how long ago he stirred it in the first place? It just took me a while to obey!
  • Some years ago, I compiled a package of Church Mice cartoons to submit to the syndicates for syndication. I knew that God had given me the inspiration to create the cartoon in the first place, and I felt His hand was on me in my endeavors with it, so I decided to "give" the cartoon to Him. I went to my church (this was before I entered the ministry) and took a completed package of cartoons and literally laid it on the altar in the sanctuary. I knelt down on the floor in front of the altar and prayed: "Lord, I give these cartoons to You, do with them what You will." Since that time, Church Mice has made virtually no money, but has become a worldwide ministry. Was it what I expected when I surrendered the cartoon to Him? No - I expected syndication. Am I disappointed in how things have turned out? No - I could never have dreamed that God would use me and allow me to use the talents He gave me to point people towards Him. It's all about attitude. Ask yourself, who do you want the cartoons to belong to? If you hold them tightly in your own hands and call all the shots yourself, they'll always be yours. But, if you place them in God's hands, and always acknowledge they are His, He can help you do wonderful things with them.
  • I don't think it's a dumb question at all. I think if we're not struggling with that at one time or another, that we need to look at where we're at. What helped me was looking at Abraham when God asked him to sacrifice his son. God knew all along that he wasn't going to let it happen, but he wanted to know Abraham's heart and have him show that he's willing to do whatever God asks.

You were given a gift and talents that God wants you to use. Maybe He has a new direction that He wants you to move in. Maybe he wants you to make real relationships for your own growth. Whatever it is, keep pursuing God and He will make Himself and his will known to you.

One other thing that comes to mind is Genesis 1:1. "In the beginning, God created..." That's the first thing we read about God. He's a creator, and we're lucky enough to have had that passed on to us. Creating and drawing comics isn't a bad thing unless it becomes your god. Do your work as an expression of love to God and I think that it may help you keep things in check. Maybe He'll even put your drawings on his refrigerator! ;)
  • Hey dude,
    I think you have a wonderful imagination and that is exactly what God has given you. I would say, in many ways, I envy that. (Not that I should or anything.) If you desire to show how great God is through your characters, I believe it is truly possible. And in many ways, this is offering yourself to God because these characters are so dear to your heart. Just keep trying my friend, and see what God does with it.

Levon
  • What has helped me tremendously is that I recognize that any characters, stories, ideas or heck...any THOUGHTS come from God. He puts on my heart the desire to write and then stimulates my GOD GIVEN TALENT to imagine the stories that thru him can be used to glorify him. Granted, I think there is always a maternal like feeling with anything you bring forth. But if you recognize that it was actually GOD that is using you to manifest whatever it is thatyou are working on, then maybe it would be easier to let go. Let go and realize that no matter how precious, unique, or endearing your characters seem to you, nothing can replace the grace, love and fellowship of the FATHER. Accept this, and you will then open yourself up to even greater blessings. The best part is that no matter what type of stories we as writers fashion, no matter what type of characters we create, that is finite compared to God and what he will manifest within us, if we just submit. Sorry if I sound too preachy, but I hope this helps some. Bottom line ask of him for patience and dilligence, and he will grant you the desires of your heart.
  • Dear Uncharted Spirit,
    I think you need to dedicate your characters to Lord Jesus, not sacrifice them unless you are called to. You dedicate your creations to God, it does not end your relationship with them. You dedicate your children to God, you do not stop being their earthly parent. Sacrifice, the total giving over of what is yours to God is another matter.

If I ever marry, I will consider my relationship with my wife dedicated to the Lord. I will not stop being her husband just because God is her God. So too, I think you should not see surrendering your work to God as a loss but as a way of making it so much better!

How would I ever know peace if I tried to be my wife's God? And it would be futile.

Dedicating your characters to God, can you see your way to doing this? Do your characters love God? When they fail do they run to Lord Jesus? Do they trust Him when they are hurt so bad their hearts are breaking?

You say your characters are very real to you. Good. That is not a bad thing in itself. While it would sound nice to say 'But real people matter more', that's something that you and other humans need to work out. You certainly don't have to give up your fictional characters to say you love them less than real people! In other words, you don't have to hate your characters so you can say that people you dislike matter more to you, you know? That would not solve a thing.

Anyway, I say it's a good thing your characters matter to you so, because God can use them to touch your heart. There's still something in your life that you care about!

In my scribble home made 'Edge of the Flock' story, I have a character named Debby Peterson, who is the type of person I wished God would send into my life long ago, but He never did. Writing about her helps me explore personally what I think a Christian should be. How I think they should act around others. George Ito represents me at one point in my life, and their dialog helps me to explore and muse about certain beliefs and doubts that I often struggle with. For me, 'Edge of the Flock' is incredibly therapeutic. Even I can write a Christian comic:) And it did reach someone at least, me. And I matter just as much to the Lord Jesus as anybody else!

So, to surrender your work to God, I'd suggest you do two things right now. Write for God. Write for yourself. Explore your relationship with God through your characters! Write your hopes and dreams, your fears and failures!

Heroes and Heroines can inspire us by their example. Your heroes are your characters. That's fine, really! Just don't give up if you feel lustful or sin sometimes. If you draw something nasty, throw it away later on, don't enshrine it on the alters of obsessive guilt! Do something nice for yourself and for God, draw her praying, or walking on the beach, or something positive and healthy. You don't make a healthy relationship only by trimming away the bad, you must also positively cultivate the good!

Do weekly scribble exercises. Find something you are unhappy about and talk to your characters. Write a script and do some sketches, don't just run it through your mind. This is very important, draw and write regularly, for yourself. This might also help you flesh out your characters as you get to know them and their thoughts about different subjects and situations, which might help later. You will also get into the habit of drawing and writing, and that will definitely come in handy!

Well, I don't know if I misunderstood what you were asking, I sure babbled a lot though, ha ha:)
    God bless you!
    Gerry
This reply was deleted.