CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Thoughts on online comic book printers/distributors?

I'm searching around for someone to print my comic, December Sun. I've had the first three printed by Comixpress, and while the quality was fine, they were HORRENDOUSLY slow in the production and mailing.I've also tried out Ka-Blam!, and other than having terrible communication, they messed up the order.I like the idea of an online printer that not only prints but also handles the sales and distribution. I'm far too lazy to mail these out myself (or be accountable for money, etc) and considering it's a hobby, I don't want that responsibility. But I know that there are sites out there that print, advertise and distribute. I'm just looking for one that will do a decent job, not cost a fortune, and handle the sales/shipping.Any suggestions?Thanks!

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hey there Rob!

An old friend Carl Borg was starting a Christian Comic Distribution company a few years back. Not sure where he is now or how to reach him. Maybe one of the Alpha-Omega alums will know how to reach him. I had at first thot your discussion was geared more to online publishing, a subject near to my heart. Back when I worked with USDA we had a contract with a company who took and stored extra copies of our publications and were the primary contact for requests for subscriptions / single copies. We were able to get to the point where the zines were completely produced on the computer (no camera or stripping). These final files were handed off to the contractor who then would print additional copies as needed using their DocuTech system by Xerox (think of a photocopier + laserprinter on steroids). Interestingly enough, even tho we posted our publications in .PDF format on our website, there was no decrease in printed copy sales.

What do you mean by "an online printer?" A commercial printer who takes files via the internet and does your print job? There are print companies (mostly in the small local newspaper or newsletter market) who will do the printing then take your customer database and generate mailing labels, sort, and deliver to the post office. They stop at that point and deliver the remaining copies to the publisher.

I don't know that a printer would want to get into a storage and order fulfillment activity. All the companies I've ever dealt with are there for the printing work. They might hand it off to someone else, but there are also other things to consider.

John Pierce will probably point out this incorrect grammatical break, but that's okay. He helps me to remember those rules we always don't use. Anyway, providing a service for Christian Comics folks can be done, but at this point in time it seems the "activity" would have to be done cooperatively. It depends on how far you want to take it.

Lots of stuff to kick around... Tag! You're it!!
  • Contact Joey Endres at CC.net. While I do not have first hand knowledge of this process, I have heard from others vioce your same concerns and disappiontment with the mentioned printers. I have also heard good things about Megazeen and their printer. I don't know about distibution tho. And last I saw CC.net sells December Sun. Which reminds me to order mine soon. I've seen the covers of DS and they look amazing! I'm looking forward to reading it.
This reply was deleted.