CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Afraid of plagiarism

I have just begun this idea of comics for witnessing tools, but one of my biggest hold-ups is that I am concerned that what I produce will be similar or the same as someone else's work. What's the word on this subject? I mean, there is "NO WAY" to know every single comic ever produced, or every character in a comic, so what happens if I name a character or comic the same as what someone else has already? Is that considered plagiarism, or maybe even theft? Please help!!Thanks and Merry Christmas to ALL,Brother Craig

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I understand your concern, but if you make up a character that happens to have the same name of another comics character but in a different story or light, it's your intellectual property and therefore not plagiarism, as long as you don't go and mimic a storyline and use the same phrases or script of another to a T, I think your fine, besides, as everyone has said, if God has given you the OK to go through with this and you feel it is right in your heart, then don't worry, because He's got it handled, btw here is the deffinition of the word:

plagiarism n. taking the writings or literary concepts (a plot, characters, words) of another and selling and/or publishing them as one's own product. Quotes which are brief or are acknowledged as quotes do not constitute plagiarism. The actual author can bring a lawsuit for appropriation of his/her work and against the plagiarist, and recover the profits. Normally plagiarism is not a crime, but it can be used as the basis of a fraud charge or copyright infringement, if prior creation can be proved.

Might help, God Bless and remember with God all things are possible, you can move mountains, so this is only a little pebble, just kick it outta the way, lol!

Christina
    • Thanks Christina!!
      I appreciate the encouragement very much. God bless you.

Brother Craig
  • Put it this way, if one could copyrigt chord progressions, then J.S. Bach would own all the music in the world! One can't come up with an origional story nowadays, just variate one from another...Also, look at all the movies (cartoons, specifically) which are about the same thing that come out relatively at the same time!
    • Very well explained. I did not think of it that way, which is why I asked, of course!! LOL! I'll certainly be more confident now. Thank you very much.

Brother Craig
    • Michael,

Thanks my friend. I appreciate your thoughts here. The motive and feelings are something that can't be discerned. Thanks.

Brother Craig
    • Robert,

Thanks for your insight. You're right about where the ideas come from. Again, thanks!

Brother Craig
This reply was deleted.