CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Replies

• Because the graphic novels I've read that I've enjoyed are in black and white. Everything these days are so overproduced sometimes. I like the simplicity of the line and am finding I really like using a brush because I enjoy the grace of a calligraphic line. When I frist saw Osamu Tedzuca's work in the Buddha series and Craig Thompson's work in Blankets, I was enthralled. The way you could express emotion with the patterns in the background or the focus of a profile. Of course I like Chris Ware's use of color. But I really don't like the marvel look at all. I'm more interested in it from a purely new way , for me of storytelling. Also I like Eric Drooker's Flood. No words, just scratch drawings almost like woodcuts. I guess I like the oldfashionedness of it.

I would like to give it shot at your characters for Encyclopedia arterra. What do I do? Do I try to copy what you do or create my version of the character?

Judging from your description of the kind of care needed to write, I guess I'm not a writer. I would take that kind of care in my painting when I was younger and single with no children, but now I don't have the liberty to concentrate that much. And believe me it hurts, because I know I'm not doing the best I can do. And next to my daugher and of course God, it is my greatest love.
    • I don't know how I missed that last paragraph, but no, it's not that you love it as much as your daughter or God. My point was that some people put as much thought in a book or short story as they do replying to an email and it's more than that.

As far as doing the best that you can, that's all you can do. Seriously, try writing a short story, no art, don't sketch anything out before hand. Just write and write as well as you can.
      Index of /
    • Gee, Guys this is terrific, I really appreciate all the comments. I will try all those suggestions. Also, I will try color, too--not sure when or how--I guess I'm still developing my style. Once I find it which will probably be an illustrative morph of my fine art, I'll do it --perhaps another psalm --short and sweet. I do have a lead with a published author in MA that is an aunt of my boss who is willing to look at the two children's books I've written/illustrated and I might get some good feedback from that. I'm just so ready to make something happen. I understand about what you were saying about the writing. I guess particularly in the second book I've written, Columbia, Little Dove, it's all around the number 7, and as you know there is a lot in the bible about that, so I have scriptures on a side bar---- and it feels a little cumbersome. I'm not sure how to whittle it down. It sort of reminds me when I really started taking drawing seriously in high school. I remember trying to draw and paint a shell and to me there was so much detail in the fine textures and subtle colors that I didn't know when to stop or what to edit out what I saw. At that stage I was prone to fits of disgust and throwing things in the trash because my piece had been overworked. But I am encouraged by the support and I look forward to sharing more.
    • Understood, it's just that your other artwork is so VIVID and you can color! It's just that I see so many Christian comics in black and white and you clearly have the talent to handle color...but that is your choice.

Yeah, I reek Marvel. It's what I grew up with, but we each try to be the best "I" as we can.

As for submitting characters, look through the character gallery, choose a character you like and create your own image of said character. The Encyclopedia won't be printed until Fall 2008, so you have plenty of time.

BTW, Master Chiun is NOT one of my characters, so if you want to draw him, fine, but I can't publish it.

In The Arterran Chronicles, five people sent art in and I was able to publish three of them, so the odds are pretty good, especially based on what I've seen of your work.
    • Anne, I have had great success at conventions and also little success at other conventions. it all depends on what you are doing there, do you have stuff to sell, where your table is located in the hall, the look of your presentation and if it's the right convention crowd.
  • Yes. If you don't count my Silly Daddy 2004 graphic novel, I am also working on a science fiction novel called Star Chosen. Preview it at http://joechiappetta.blogspot.com/2007/04/star-chosen-sci-fi-novel.... and let me know what you think.
    • Joe, your chapters are extremely short for a novel. The first two are short even for short stories. Remember, you're aiming for 40,000 - 60,000 words. Those first eleven chapters are 7,900 words total.

I'll read over the entire draft later.
    • Yes, I do realize the non-conventional chapter approach I have taken with many short chapters in the novel. My model was actually the Bible for this, as it has many short chapters, and some not so short ones. As for the length of the book, the full draft is 52,000+ words and I think over 50 or 60 chapters, but I only posted the first bit of it online. Still I would be very interested in your take on what is already posted.
    • Hey Joe,
      I haven't had the opportunity to read your online novel (my "online" time has been pretty limited lately)...
      But...I wonder what the thoughts are of actually posting it online. Do you feel this hurts your chances for publishing--tradional publishing, I mean? This question is not just for Joe, but for anyone who wants to answer.
      Because of my experience "shopping around" for a publisher, I've often thought about this and wondered if it would actually help me or hurt me. But, I dunno. My gut tells me it would hurt my chances as many are now viewing online publishing as very legitimate publishing and thus writers lose that "first publishing rights" kinda deal.
      I dunno...thoughts?
    • When you post something on the internet, it qualifies as "being published". The only advantage I can see is by posting just enough to get people wanting to read more. Posting as much as you have almost puts the entire story (at least up to this point) online, which will discourage sales.

Put it this way; would you buy a book that has been posted online to read for free?
This reply was deleted.