CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Replies

• This is fifteen years later, but yes, I write Christian novels.

• Great discussion...I'm the writer for Spirit Knight (www.spirit-knight.com)...it's the story of a backsliden Christian named Sam who, by his own fault, loses everything...his wife, job and home. At his lowest point he is visited by the Archangel Michael. Michael shows Sam that new shape-shifting demons are trying to infiltrate society and he is just the man to stop them. Sam is stuck trying to turn is life around and dealing with demons that are trying to kill him and others. I wanted to give it the point of view of a real person. What would someone really do if an Angel visited them today? Sam has no weapons, no powers...so he has to rely on something more than himself to survive.

My artist and I have been to 3 WonderCon(s) in San Francisco and gave away free Bibles each time. Sam carries a hotel Bible in our stories so we thought that would be a good tie in and a good witness to people. Each year has been better than the first. Last year was the best, you can see pictures up on the website of WonderCon 2007 - our "Return of the King" issue where Sam has to dress as an Elvis impersonator to survive. We have our fourth issue in the works right now and we are going to skip WonderCon this year and go straight to the big dance - Comic-Con in San Diego. I just sent in our samples of work to be approved for their small press section. Pray our work is accepted and we get to go! I've also writen the beginning of a movie screenplay for Spirit Knight. As a writer it's nice to go back to your source material and add elements that you've seen as successful to readers.

As a non-professional writer, I've found comic book formats of 20pages of story easier than an entire novel. Since working fulltime as a non-writer, I find myself starting novels but than having to stop or losing my storyline a quarter of the way into it. My latest novel has the premise of current day dinosaurs, in this case a pteranodon, large winged dinosaur that could have been known as the Thunderbird in American Indian legend. I'm writing a story that parralels an American Indian as he battles to save his tribe and a graduate student brought in by a small town poice department to help them determine the cause a variety of large bird attacks on people. I don't have any samples of that posted but I could if anyone wanted to see what I have so far.

I'm sure I've rambled on enough. Thanks for any comments in advance!
    Spirit Knight: Red Machine Comics
  • UPDATE:
    I've now finished my second novel, which is aimed at a teen market. I've got a good buddy of mine (an artist) who is doing some art to accompany my submissions. I've sent it to about 6 trusted "readers" and will do a rewrite once I hear back from them...and then submit it.
    Any thoughts on agents? Many publishers WANT an agent, but many agents don't want rookie writers (my years in comics don't seem to count!)
  • Well i have to say very enveloping conversation! I just signed up to this awesome group. I myself am working on a comic series that I pray will evolve into an entire universe. My single probelm is that I'm trying to find an artist who will share my vision.
    The title is simply SOLIDER OF THE THRONE: EMERGENCE. Anyone interested?

Vincent
    • Vincent, I personally just don't have the time, what with my own universe, which has taken years to develop. I'm writing and doing the art for several novel series and short stories, but let us hear more than the title of your series. Do you have a webpage somewhere?

I agree that DC and Marvel need competition and it would be great for that competition to be Christian.
    • Well Soldier of the throne (which i refer to as SOTT) is centered around Devon Strong who is caught up in the lime light of being a christian 'celebrity'. At the height of his popularity he is involved in a accident that nearly leaves him paralyzed. He has a chance encounter with a mysterious box that falls from heaven that fills him with Divine power. He is trained by the warrior angel Michael and will battle to protect mankind from threats within and without. I'm trying to work on a web page now. I pulled aspects from my favorite thing to create this. I wanted to write something that has memorable characters, epic battles, adventure and wonder, and in the end sends the message of GODs love and power.
  • I have one already completed, "The Shell Collector." It's a science fiction story about a bounty hunter who tracks down human clones escaped from the labs that created them. I have a few sequel ideas, but right now, I'm finishing a novella called "Left Overs" which is a parody of "Left Behind." I've also written a ton of sci-fi stories, most with a Christian bent. They're all in the fiction section of my website, www.righteousinsanity.com
  • UPDATE! You can now order the first two books in The Last Witness series from Target!

Resurrected Destiny: [LINK] The Arterran Chronicles: [LINK] So, if you need a copy, order it through Target.
  • I've enjoyed your discussion so far, and it prompted me join in! I don't really know if I'm a writer. I write for an excuse to draw. I 've written a few children's books but haven't pursued publishing that much because I'm uncertain of the quality of the writing. I found the topic of online publishing fascinating. I have the first 20 pages of my graphic novel up on the web ,"published". I found it motivating to keep going 'cause at least someone was seeing it. But then I felt that it would de-value the piece if I displayed any more of it. I think the daily comics work because they can generate a following just by the volume and maybe create a reputation for themselves. I dunno, there's my two cents. P.S. I would really like to collaborate with a writer if you guys know anyone that would be interested, whose writing would fit with my style of illustrating.

Also, have any of you had any good results going to conventions?
    • No one can tell you if you are a writer or not. They can tell you if they like your writing or don't like it, but that call is for you to determine. Some of the most popular artists out there draw like I did in fourth grade, but somehow, enough people like it that they can do it full time.

If you really want to write and take as much care with writing as you would driving your infant son home from the hospital the first time, then you're on the right track.

BTW, I'm already compiling the "Encyclopedia Arterra" and like The Arterran Chronicles, it will have a section for other artists' renderings of my characters, so if anyone is interested in getting your art published, let me know. No pay, but if you're accepted, you get a full page for your art and credit.

Anne, I do have a question for you. I took a look at your art on different sites and you use such vivid colors but your comic panels are in black and white. Why?
This reply was deleted.