CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

...and nothing but the truth---so help me, Lord!

Over the years I've seen a number of unsaved people dismiss fictional Christian works, be they in comics or book form. Why? They feel that any writer can play god in his/her literary universe, and thus 'stack the deck' in favor of whatever theology or deity(s) he or she wishes to promote.That was one of the primary reasons why I largely abandoned writing fiction. I say largely, because I did co-author some comics stories with Nate Butler, at his request, for the second edition of comics in Tim Todd's Truth for Youth Bible.Don't get me wrong---I'm not anti-fiction. Lew Wallis' Ben-Hur, the subsequent film adaptations, and even the two comics versions (Classics Illustrated and Pendulum Press) were terrific. John Bunyan's allegorical Pilgrim's Progress and Daniel DeFoe's Robinson Crusoe are indisputable classics. Many of Jack T. Chick's tracts (which have sold over 500 million copies, making him the most published living author in the world) present the Gospel within a fictional story setting.However, as much as I like Ben-Hur and the others, I would like them much more if they were true stories. When a person is reading fiction, he/she is intentionally suspending disbelief. That means there is an ever-present understanding that it's all just fun, an intellectual/emotional rollercoaster ride, and don't take it too seriously. I find such a mindset to be in direct contrast to an open, seeking heart that is ready to consider a life-changing Gospel message.So, instead of writing about super-heroes flying or swinging from ropes, I keep the miraculous elements where they are in real life: from Christ above. When a reader encounters the true testimonies in Glory to God #1 and 2, the John Hauff Unshackled! tract, or in the Sadhu Sundar Singh graphic novel, he or she has to inevitably make a decision: to accept or reject the extraordinary in these testimonies as true or false. Granted, such material will polarize its audience, but so does The Bible, God's holy writ, so I'm following a good example.Besides, truth is stranger than fiction, as the old saying goes. The Lord's script, as written upon the hearts of believers across the millennia, is far more beautiful and edifying than anything any earthly writer could dream up. In eternity this treasure trove of testimonies will be to His praise and glory for all the redeemed in Christ to rejoice in. So why not start now? Some of these pearls are within reach, and others will require some digging to find and to properly present, but they're well worth it.

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Jerry, there are numerous commandments given to Christians after those of Acts chapter 15. For starters, take a look at 2 Thessalonians 3:6: "Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us."

2 Thessalonians 3:12 "Now them that are such we command and exhort by our Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread." See the verses preceding 1 Timothy 4:11 as well. And there are many others.
    • So do you take that to mean that we are supposed to be quiet while we work and that we have to fix our own bread (or food) in order to eat it?
  • Conversation seems to have died.

I'm curious about responses to my interpretation of Jesus's words. I am WAY off?

Is the image of Christ I see in the Gospels tainted by my personal prejudices?

Thoughts?

~ Ben
    • It wasn't the conversation that died, but rather my stepfather. Understandably, I had to be offline for some time. I disagree with you about our Lord's words, but rather than argue, I believe it would be better for you to hear from Him directly. With the leading of the Holy Spirit Who has indwelt you since salvation and with humble, seeking heart in prayer, there's no reason you can't hear His 'still, small voice' in this matter. I will respond to only one verse, though, about "fisher's of men". You'll find the Lord saying He would raise up "hunters and fishers of men" (in Jeremiah, I believe; you can look it up at www.blueletterbible.com to find exact chapter and verse), so I see no reason to call such a phrase humorous. May God bless you richly as you (and we) seek Him with your whole heart.

Alec <><</body>
    • "I believe it would be better for you to hear from Him directly. With the leading of the Holy Spirit Who has indwelt you since salvation and with humble, seeking heart in prayer, there's no reason you can't hear His 'still, small voice' in this matter."

Interesting that you assume I haven't. Or maybe I'm assuming that you've assumed I haven't. And you know what happens when we assume . . . so, I guess I should stop assuming.

On the flip side, this discusion has prompted a couple ideas i want to follow up on. Thre might be a book in this.

~ Ben
    • Well, don't leave us hanging...spit it out!
    • But Alec, to condemn humor as a sin...a SIN is beyond the scope of the power of the Church. Read Acts 15. When the Holy Ghost set up the new testament's version of the ten commandments, humor, smiling, none of that were mentioned.

To introduce it is to add to that, and again, no offense, that's placing yourself on the Throne.
    • I think you got it right, Ben. Jesus is the perfect man, who laughed and cried and was happy and angry.

We can think of other reasons, but I still think that the main reason people don't buy Christian work is because it has a (sometimes highly mistaken) reputation for being sub-standard. We need to raise the bar. We have to raise the bar.

You're doing a great job of that, btw, Ben...kudos.
  • Again, I am not anti-fiction or anti-humor. I've written fiction in the recent past (helping Nate Butler with scripts for Tim Todd's TRUTH FOR YOUTH BIBLE comics, remember?) and would not dismiss doing more. What I'm after personally is material that God can reach people with, material that is not cluttered with personal conceits/concepts or any other 'leaven' or distractions that will hinder the Word from going forth. Do we really need another mythos as detailed as Star Wars/Lord of the Rings/the Marvel universe/etc. etc.? So many distractions, so much that people have fed upon that is often contrary to the Word of God. The devil is not asleep on the job. This is a war that we're in, a war for men's souls. Were it not, perhaps I'd have a go at writing a WAR AND PEACE-length novel myself.

I really like Kevin Frank's Christian humor strips (OBOE JONES or HEAVEN'S LOVE THRIFT SHOP), and believe that he is largely succeeding in producing material that could venture into the realm of the sacrilegious in less sensitive hands.

Jerry said: "That's the problem with some churches today. Jesus wouldn't be able to teach in some of them because of the rules that have been put up around His Word to the point of choking people."

If I said we have to be anti-fiction or anti-humor I'd be just as guilting of choking people. I haven't, and don't. I'm just saying 'be careful.' D. L. Moody said he'd rather err on the side of being too strict than too permissive in his preaching (for the sake of souls in eternity). That's something to consider, too. Thanks for writing, brothers, and if you disagree on a matter, I am truly interested in hearing what you and other have to say---not for refutation or to 'win an argument', but perhaps to learn something. I haven't 'heard it all' or considered every option, every angle. I'm open to learn. God bless! Alec
    • Just remember; personal convictions are that; personal to you. It is as equally wrong for me to press my brothers with my personal convictions. As you said; we need to stick with the Word.

Read Acts 15 and go from there. We are no longer under the law; we are to work out our own salvation with fear and trembling. That is the Bible saying "Be careful", but it doesn't go on to provide a long list of do's and don't's. That was the Old Testament and brother we live in the New.

I go to a church that can be legalistic, so I am overtly sensitive toward things like this. They have the doctrine correct, but their elevation of standards as equal or superior to doctrine is wrong.

Don't misunderstand me, Alec; people need to take their salvation seriously, but suggesting that something isn't Holy or acceptable to God is placing yourself on that Throne.

Jerry
This reply was deleted.