CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Desire of our heart vs. our lust

I was flipping through the new WIZARD and saw an ad for WIZARDWORLD TEXAS. Cool, right? A comic convention in my own state. So I'm really wanting to go, but no way. How in the world am i gonna go to a comic book convention. SO it occurs to me, why not just ask God to set me up? All he can say is "No". So i promptly added this trip to a prayer list i recently started. But I'm confused about something. The Bible gives a lot of scripture about prayer and for us to open our mouths wide so God can fill'em, and how we have not because we ask not, and how he wants to give us the desires of our heart. But the Bible also says that God won't give us something if we're just gonna consume it upon our own lusts. So where does one draw the line? I hear really great sermons about how Christians lead very selfish prayer lives, but i also hear really great sermons about how Prayer is asking, and the answer to prayer is receiving, and that we should never be afraid to come to God, no matter how big or small the prayer. So which is it? And is it wrong to pray for God to help me go to a Con?

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hey Anthony,
      You have to have the right motives in your heart when you pray. God does answer prayer...God does know the desire of your heart.....God also has His will for your life. As long as all these are in line for His purpose, it will be done. Like any loving father, God is not going to grant a gift to you if He knows the enemy can use it against you or if the gift will enhance your desire to sin.

Here's an example:
      You're driving one day along a highway and someone flips you off. So, you get angry and without thinking, you run him off the road, incurring injuries to him and yourself. The police and DMV remove your car and license to drive. You ask your dad "Can I have another car?" "Not yet, son. Give it some time and I will let you know when you can drive again." Your father knows that if he were to let you drive, that another person might make you do something again before you were responsible enough to have that privilage. Satan will try to infiltrate and destroy what God intends to be a loving and exciting gift. I always say God's delays are not His denials, Anthony. Just keep doing what you know to honest and just and of good report. God want's the best for you, man. Just keep looking up.

I will pray that God grants you this favor. But remember, it's according to His will, not ours. I hoped this helped, Anthony. We care about you brother..............................Howard
    • Thanks for the kind words Howard. Even if the Truth isn't always comfortable.LOL
    • Well I'm gonna keep praying. With my finances and vehicular situation, if i do go its only because God personally sent me.:) I believe, help thou mine unbelief.:) I'm trying to find one of those Con survival guides WIZARD prints every so often, but i can't seem to find one. Any advice?
  • I think it's great that you are soul searching about your prayer life, it can only get better because you want what God wants for it. Even praying 'Lord, I don't know if I should go to the con, will You tell me?' is a start.

This is something I have trouble with myself, try to be open to a whole variety of possible answers. Pray about it daily, and see how you feel about it over the long run. If not this year, the Lord may be bringing the topic of conventions up for next year or for later. Maybe He wants you to save to go to San Diego con with the CCAS gang, for example:)

With your desire to pray the way God wishes for you to pray, I don't see how you could go wrong praying about the convention. As long as you don't lock God into only being able to answer 'yes/no', but are waiting on Him for a fuller revelation about why He has given you this desire, I think you will be fine:)

God bless you,
    Gerry
This reply was deleted.