CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Overcoming Doubt

I feel weird posting this just below a topic titled "Prayer is Powerful", but to be honest my prayer life is in trouble. I'm just getting back on the horse after some serious backsliding. I go to church, but i still don't read the Bible or pray very often. One of the things that led to my backsliding is that no matter how many verses i claimed or much Bible i read or how much i prayed, i just couldn't get anything answered. I had needs that were'nt ,Aren't, being met. I even tried not believing in God, But i can't NOT believe. So i know there is a God, i just can't figure out why he seems to have forsaken me.

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• God bless you Micheal. The Christian Comics scene needs more awesome artists and writers.
  • In my life, God's responses to my prayers have taken time and not been what I asked for initially. I wanted to become a professional Christian comic writer. Years of struggling and desert experiences followed, and I was always questioning God as to why He was not answering me. In the end my disability intensified and today I can't work, but my needs are humbly met and I have time to do the comics I always wanted to do.

I cried out for an artist to partner with me, but instead I ended up drawing my stories myself. My art is scribbly, but my stories are slowly getting done. But I needed to be prodded with the frustration and unhappiness before I would become desperate enough to share my art with the world. (Recently I found Larry, a talented artist, to do my works, but I'll keep drawing too:))

Time was I used to pray for a wife. But as I got sicker, I realized I couldn't take care of a spouse. Instead God gave me a peace about being single. Oh, I fought it, kicking and screaming, but in the end, He has given me peace. And, being single, I have time and can devote what God has given me to my Christian comics.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that sometimes the pain is part of the process God uses to answer our prayers, to shape us to be ready for His will. And sometimes it takes time for us to see that what God is doing isn't what we asked for at all, but something He prefers for us.

May God bless and cherish you and your family, Anthony. May He give you strength and endurance to meet the trials of the day. May He give you patience and peace to weather the sand storms of your deserts. May He grant you faith and inspiration, so that you may know the joy of the Lord, no matter what happens in your life.

Gerry Lee
    • Its kinda funny. In your disability you have what few people do. Time. Time to go pursue your goals. And sometimes i forget that sometimes its got to hurt if its to heal. Like James T.Kirk said, "...I don't want my pain to go away, I NEED my pain." I just wish it was so........constant.
    • Hi Michael,

Though I would love your art for my stories, I know there are many other writers who desperately need you even more. You are a remarkable fellow! Like I was saying, there was a time when a writer couldn't find an artist for their works, all the artists were wrapped up in their own stories. But you are always willing to help others, always offer your assistance. May the Lord bless and cherish you for your faithful and giving heart. You are a man investing your Talents in the Kingdom of God.

I pray that the Lord will give you time and energy and inspiration to do your artworks for His glory. If you do get some free time next year, JCServant over at Cyberlight has some story projects that need artists.

God bless you,
      Gerry Lee
    • What're you working on now?
  • Hey Anthony....
    Don't feel wierd about that. In fact, as if you didn't already know, what you are feeling is perfectly natural. I always have a saying, "God's delays are not His denials." Be patient and persistent with God. He will answer you. Read Isaiah 55:8. Then read 1 Peter 1:3-4. That's His promise to you. Satan is going to make you not want to do the things that asks of us. So fight it with prayer and reading, even if you don't want to. Ask God to reveal Himself to you in a fresh way. He will answer you. I will talk to you soon.
    Your brother in Christ............Howard
    • LOL You must be a mind reader Micheal. Seriously, some of those things were right on the mark. But as i told Howard, i used to think that my faith was damaged beyond repair. That i would never be able to pray again because i honestly don't think God will do anything. Of course thats not altogether true. I've prayed a few times. Maybe thats why God does things to us, to "force" us to pray, so to speak. I'm just afraid that my doubt will seriously hinder me from getting any closer. How can i make myself believe something?
    • Isaiah 55:8 " for my thoughts are not your thoughts,neither are your ways my ways,saith the LORD"

1 Peter 1:3-4 "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you"

Thank you for the scripture references, Howard. They awoke something in me that i thought was long gone. Hope. But in a way, thats also the problem. I keep hoping something is gonna happen but it never did. I want to pray, but i just have to much doubt.
This reply was deleted.