CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Working idea

Anyone interested in discussing ideas for a Christian comic. My thinking is to use stories from the Bible but place them into a sci-fi context (a Star Wars style universe) A good example would be David and Goliath set in a setting of a battle in space (i.e. the battle of Yavin)

Suggestions and feedback is welcomed!

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It's okay if you don't know Crespo, it's okay, we don't have to know everything, C.S.Lewis didn't:

@Martin how is that a good post he just contradicted everything you said considering what we're talking about as nonsense, then following it up w/ a quote from that adversarialist.. Now i'm gonna get "lewis is not an illuminist", so here's quotes from C.S.Lewis' books, his own words.

"[God] said (in the Bible) that we were “gods” and He is going to make good His words. If we let Him—for we can prevent Him, if we choose—He will make the feeblest and filthiest of us into a god or goddess, a dazzling, radiant, immortal creature, pulsating all through with such energy and joy and wisdom and love as we cannot now imagine." --C. S. Lewis, Beyond Personality (London: The Centenary Press, 1945), 48. Also contained in Mere Christianity (New York: Macmillan Company, 1952), 174-175.

This is what luciferians believe not Christians and he published this twice in two books.

"... for we have good reason to believe that animals existed long before men... For long centuries God perfected the animal form which was to become the vehicle of humanity and the image of Himself ... [Eventually,] God caused a new kind of consciousness to descend upon this organism" (The Problem of Pain, pp.133,77).

"...Man, the highest of the animals" (Mere Christianity, p.139)

"...but he (man) remains still a primate and an animal" (Reflections On The Psalms, pp.115,129)

"If ... you mean simply that man is physically descended from animals, I have no objection" (The Problem of Pain, p.72)

"He made an earth at first 'without form and void' and brought it by degrees to its perfection" (Miracles, p.125)

Nature's "pregnancy has been long and painful and anxious, but it has reached its climax" (Mere Christianity, p.172)

This is what Evolutionist believe not Christians.

"I have therefore no difficulty accepting, say, the view of those scholars who tell us that the account of Creation in Genesis is derived from earlier Semitic stories which were Pagan and mythical." (Reflections On The Psalms, p.110).

This is what Heretics believe not Christians.

Thought this Scripture was humorously pertinent.

Luke 24:11

11 But they did not believe the women, because their words seemed to them like nonsense.

@Melchi my advice to you is don't put your faith in people. Be it for wisdom and knowledge, or even just counting on them to be there, you'll just find yourself disappointed. The only one who is constant and reliable is Christ thru His Holy Spirit, and He should be the only one you can/should be relying on. Go to the source not human interpretations.

• I know we're going off-topic here - with music - but I don't think anyone minds too much.  I've played guitar for almost 35 years.  Started out in the '70s listening to/learning from secular music (Hendrix, prog rock, funk, jazz fusion, film scores, then backtracked to classical - baroque, romantic, and modern - and jazz: gypsy, swing, bebop, cool, free, etc., then ethnic music of different nations like Brazil and Greece). 

As for Christian music being made right now, the most advanced that I hear out there is in Gospel music in terms of harmony and counterpoint, extended chords, syncopation, vocal harmonies, improvisation, and - in the cream of the crop - an undeniably genuine heart for the Lord Jesus Christ.  The late Walter Hawkins and the late Thomas Whitfield wrote and performed some remarkable music; present day there are selected songs by Andrae Crouch, Israel Houghton, Kurt Carr, Donnie McClurkin, Fred Hammond, Richard Smallwood, Carol Cymbala & Brooklyn Tab, Mandisa, Darwin Hobbes, etc., etc. that are quite edifying.  There are so many superb Gospel musicians out there right now!  Have a look/listen on Youtube, iTunes, or any number of places for these.  Be warned:  you'll be blessed out of your socks (if you're wearing any, that is). 

Best regards,

Alec  

• Steve,

The only one I know of from your list is Burlap to Cashmere. And I loved their album "Is there anybody out there". just got into nine lashes and i'm diggin them. My taste is more geared toward the commercial sound. but i do enjoy various artists.... You should check out Demon Hunter, Red, Pillar, Project 86, Flyleaf, Family Force 5, All together Separate, Lecrae (rap), Trip Lee (rap), POD, Thousand Foot Krutch, Bleach, Luna Halo.

To me, it doesn't really matter who produces Christian anything. Who's to say no one can be ministered to through it. As long as the message is clear, unadulterated, and honors God... the Lord will do the rest. 

• Keith,

Man, I'm getting old. I don't know ANY of those bands. (Well...that's not true. I have heard Skillet, I think.)

As for Christian rock I love Lost Dogs, Six Feet Deep, Burlap To Cashmere, Circle Of Dust, The Crucified, Nobody Special, CrashDog, Mike Knott... know any of those?

These guys really owned their sound. They weren't trying to be the Christian "Metallica", or the Christian "Nine Inch Nails", y'know? Their sound is genuine, authentic, and yes, non-Christians like them, too. I've played some for them.

...And for the record I believe CS Lewis was a Christian.

• Thanks for clarifying man. If it's important or any doubt, look in these forums or search, c.s.lewis not christian, same for j.r.r.tolkien.

Not really diggin the latest hymn revisions that've been coming out, usually only go for the pre- 1920's. Same goes for all those artists listed they're so subversive and most(if not all) "Christian music" is funded by anti-christian's for a reason. Probably just stick to the initial independent albums before the money/fame gets involved.

People who are not saved need the truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

• Yo!!! I'll draw it you color it! We'll sell it to Disney and be rich! It's a sure HIT!!!  Lets make it happen! I already started drawing the pages it'll be epic!!!
    Steve Crespo said:

How about Bible-quoting samurai and ninjas battling vampires and zombies in space?

3884446882?profile=original

Working idea
    Anyone interested in discussing ideas for a Christian comic. My thinking is to use stories from the Bible but place them into a sci-fi context (a Sta…
  • to Alika Parsons- I never said he was christian. I said give them/us something "LIKE" CS Lewis (although I do believe he was an apologetic christian). Also, I never said not to mention Jesus Christ in any way. You just don't have to tell the same story over and over and over again. Yes, it is our duty to bring forth His Word and do all for His glory. Thing is, I also believe he' given us the ability to do it on a broader level. Even Christ himself told parables. He did this for the people who didn't understand. People who are not saved need to have something like that.

I'm sure you and others out there love a good Hymn, rite? But I'm also sure that you like to listen to another type of christian music,too...rite? Hymns are great, buuuuuut I doubt that a non Christians will be eager to listen to it. but if you give them music from artists such as Project 86, Lecrae, Skillet, Nine Lashes, Flyleaf, etc. they will be. the same goes with comic books. 

• It'd be three on one, ninjas deal in sorcery/witchcraft.

• How about Bible-quoting samurai and ninjas battling vampires and zombies in space?

3884446882?profile=original

• Retelling the bible will continue long after we are gone. It's just like vampire and zombie movies. No matter how well one is done, no matter how many come out, there will always be more to come. Lol. Ninjas and Samurai movies too. There is a fan base.  Supply and demand baby. But we do need to tap in to our creativity to get a hole in one a touchdown or something. Something really creative. I like fantasy and sci-fi.

This reply was deleted.