CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS
This has always mystified me. I won't name names, but a lot of material that passes as Christian, features art that is boring out of perspective, and lifeless..characters are cookie cutter types, with no gray areas, and sometimes the writing is so elementary that any adult throws it down with disgust,. And yet The Bible is filled with the most powerful, most transcendent., the most scary and thought provoking subject matter on earth.Are Christian artists writers just lazy?. Why do they seem so satisfied with churning out slop and presenting it proudly to the world?Your thoughts.

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• There's another reality that hasn't been addressed---comic books are quite likely a 20th century entertainment medium having an extended death rattle into the early 21st century. Even with computer coloring, they're "quaint" in the face of advances made in film FX. Most people in the western world do not read comics. It's a really small audience that's getting smaller (and older). I'm 45, and most people half my age have never read a comic book or graphic novel.

I know an ex-Disney animator who similarly laments the death of 2-D animation.

It would be a delight to be proven wrong about both comics and traditional animation, by the way, as much fine quality work can be still done in both arenas, particularly in furtherance of the Gospel.

Kind regards in Christ Jesus,

Alec
  • Jason writes...>>>For many, doing christian comics is a side hobby of sorts that is done after work. For me, this is my career, and like alot of christians in any art based industry, it takes time, skill, and devotion to your craft, and I believe we deserve to be paid for our services. Within the christian-indy comics industry...it's not an option for me.<<<<

That statement hits my point right on the head!

The real Christian pro's out there have mortgages to pay and until some publisher steps up to the plate to offer a venue for doing creator's stories, or hiring them to work for hire on Faith based projects, they've first got to cover their nut, so to speak. And I cannot fault them for that, either.

I believe it was Paul who wrote (can't recall the specific book/verse at the moment) about apostles and disciples being like soldiers for God...and just like soldiers of the day (I.E. the Romans) they had the right to expect to be paid or compensated in some form...for their efforts for the Church.

So there are creators out there, just like Jason, who'd love to harness their gifts for the Lord's service, but just don't have a viable way to do it, short of being a starving artist. That's not to say that for some that might be an option, but of course not for all.
  • Hey Elgin, I know how you feel about the state of Christian comics today and I too share similar ideas. I am also tired of seeing mostly angels fighting, Bible superheroes and Bible stories just illustrated over and over. And I also don't like how many of these stories are badly written. But I have seen a few well written Christian comics anyways.

Thats why I am doing my best with Modern Christians and hoping it can change how people see Christian comics and how they can be done. I know my artwork isn't up to the professional level (is it really necessary when people with less "skill" have been successful?), but I have been slowly improving and my storytelling technique has improved also, with the help of some books I read. I already have a few fans on both Facebook and Deviant Art and hoping to make even more when I manage to publish it.

Though I am not intersted in making a highly professional comic like what you would see in DC or Marvel, I still want to create something that would stand the test of time and that would prepare Christian readers and make them stronger.
  • Bob, I agree with you. As a christian, I want to use my talents for the Lord, but there isn't any avenue's to do this with, as a full time profession with pay. When I was looking for a job, I prayed about opportuities, and the Lord opened the door for me with DC, working on a few books with them. Recently I signed on to do a run on Aspen's Soulfire series. I plan to return to DC in the future as well. For me, this is a job, and the time I put into a book is a full time, all day, 9am-8pm, 7 days a week job. For me to self publish is impossible at this point. Sometimes I wrestle with how I can use my art for the Lord. As of now, I am giving some of my profits to charities, like compassion International, and I plan to sell art at conventions and give a sizable chunk to compassion as well (a child sponser charity that I am passionate about supporting).

I do plan on one day writting and illustrating a creator owned project but I would probably choose to go with image or something of the equivalent. I also plan in the coming years to do a sketch book of biblical artwork.

I do think that if I was ever approached by Stephen lawhead, or Ted Dekker to work along with them on a project, I would have to weigh the opportunity and see if I could do it. For many, doing christian comics is a side hobby of sorts that is done after work. For me, this is my career, and like alot of christians in any art based industry, it takes time, skill, and devotion to your craft, and I believe we deserve to be paid for our services. Within the christian-indy comics industry...it's not an option for me.

For now, Im hoping to grow as an artist, get better, and find where I want to go in my career. Even though I work in the secular industry and sometimes have to work on things or draw things I don't particularily want to draw, I still pray for the Lord to open the doors and lead me where he wants.
  • @Bob - I thought about that and went hm. I suppose that is what the issue is. People got to eat.

1. Now that gets the wheels turning: Would they rather produce a) 1 shots, b) Graphic novels, c) mini-series, or d) ongoing series? Truthfully, I see options a, b or c being the only viable options.

2. How much would they be looking for? (This is potentially rhetorical)

Hm. Hm. Hm.
  • Martin wrote: >>>Now, out of curiosity, (and I think Mr. Fabok may have touched on this) why haven't bigger names in the industry stepped up to the plate to put out high quality fare from a "Christian" perspective? <<<<br />
    The answer to this, goes back to my contention about commerical viability.

The so called "Bigger Names" (who are believers) are typically doing work for hire for the majors in the industry, rather than self publishing. This is an topic several iconic names in the industry have brought up to me over the past few years, when I speak with them at conventions....that either they've always wanted to do a faith based story, or have had one in mind, but there has not been a company (or venue) through which they could do it.
  • This response should be framed. I'm printing it out as a reminder. Thanks so much everyone for answering my question. As a newbie here, it's a great introduction to you guys.
  • Ultimately for me, and I think this is the major point that Elgin is trying to make:

Christian comics need to look better and be better overall if they want to be taken seriously.

There is nothing more disheartening than seeing a badly executed "Christian" product - be it a book, or comic, or music album.

Caveat: If the Holy Spirit is behind it, it will succeed in spite of itself/ourselves - and all the best work in the world, if the Holy Spirit is not behind it, will amount still to a big fat nothing.

So yes - until a "major hit" occurs in the "Christian Comic Space" and other companies then follow the lead, this will be a constant thorn in the side.

That said: PRINT FOR COMICS IS OVER - if you are a small publisher trying to produce a monthly. GO DIGITAL.

PRINT WILL WORK FOR GRAPHIC NOVELS.

DC just went digital in a big way. Follow their lead.

Couple of additional thoughts:
    1. Don't try to take the entire world by storm - focus on a select market and target it.
    2. DO make a well made product
    3. DO deviate from the norm e.g. BOOM Studios shifted it's focus, IDW has it's focus
    4. DO be more creative than angels and demons and bibleman variations
    5. PRAY

Now, out of curiosity, (and I think Mr. Fabok may have touched on this) why haven't bigger names in the industry stepped up to the plate to put out high quality fare from a "Christian" perspective? Or is their position that they represent Christ through the quality of their work, and their work ethic - and their belief should be reflected in what people see? (I am not suggesting they continue to reproduce 'Bible Stories' in their comic style - even though they could).

Some names that come to mind who could do this: Our very own Alec (who is doing just that), Scott McDaniel, Lee Weeks, Chuck Dixon (a believer?), Jason Fabok, others? Care to comment?

And why can't believers make things stick? What are we missing here? Lack of prayer? Lack of focus? Lack of the Spirit? Or are we focusing on the wrong thing?

Just thinking out loud.

Martin
  • Alec, you make some good points about the heart of man that is resistant to the things of the spirit of God, and so, even with the production of an industry standard work, like many of you produce here, we, and I especially, must remember that we have an enemy who is opposing us,

What you said about Jack Chick is interesting and so true! Interesting how whenever there is a discussion on Indy comic creators, he is left out of out, despite the fact that his comics have been read by billions.

And that's objectively speaking

The Indy comic world loves to boast it's " anything goes, we embrace all creators" platform, and doesn't invite Jack Chick to the party
  • You can't realize how much I'm applauding what you just said. Everything is, as you put it, Angles, and Bibleman. Perhaps the thing is to not even call it Christian at all, least you raise a flag with the inevitable closing doors. Also excellent is adapting Christian Novels.
This reply was deleted.