CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Where do you guys stand on having magic in comics?

I was thinking about writing a story, involving (slightly) wizards, and fairies, and charms and potions. And maybe even, as lightly used as it would be, spells. I don't really think there's anything wrong with these types of elements, provided I don't use real spells. Right? I mean, I know a lot of Christians avoid stuff like that... Myself, generally included.Yet I can't really see, so long as I don't do anything too out there, how bad it would actually be to do this. I mean, case and point, I know a lot of Christians don't like the Chronicles of Narnia, because it has 'magical creatures'. Yet, the man who wrote it, C.S. Lewis, was a born again Christian himself.But, because I fear God and wish to keep His commands, (and in fear of doing anything, perhaps, un-godly?) I thought maybe I should ask the brotherhood here at CCAS first... So, where do you guys stand on having magic in comics and/or stories in general?

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Buzz Dixon said:
    Chris said:
    The scriptures clearly tell us that witchcraft is an abomination before God.
    Agreed, Chris -- SO DON'T PRACTICE WITCHCRAFT!

If writing about witchcraft is equally as much of an abomination and a sin as practicing it (and as I pointed out, fictional "wish magic" is most emphatically NOT the same thing as endorsing the religious belief called "magick"), then what about writing about:

Murder?
    Theft?
    Armed Robbery?
    Assault?
    Embezzlement?

Are you saying someone who creates stories about those topics is sinning just as if he actually committed the crimes themselves?

I'm sure Jesus of Nazareth would find that an interesting opinion, especially since He told stories about all those topics.
    Let me clarify, What I am talking about is the fictional depiction of sin as being a good thing.
    I have no issue with someone telling a story that demonstrates that the things we are told to avoid in the Scriptures, are evil things that cause us harm and separate us from God. So just to be clear as a teaching tool yes its acceptable. But as an endorsement, of some sort of fictionally acceptable sin, obviously not.
    Buzz Dixon said:
    So, what is it: Writing about fictional fantasy magic is not neccessarily a sin or Jesus was a sinner?

I am not sure what you are trying to say here is this some sort of snare to try and get me to call Christ something he was and is not? or did I misunderstand?
  • The scriptures clearly tell us that witchcraft is an abomination before God.

I have heard many, many "justifications" for it being deemed "acceptable" to many Christians.

But every single time without fail, it is deemed satanic by God.

By calling it "Good", "tolerable", "acceptable", "mechanical"(as if it were a weapon like a knife or gun)
    Are we not calling EVIL "good"?

think about it, Bestiality is always considered abomination.
    what if a creator comes out with a story that involves some form or "benign" appearing bestiality?

The number one argument I see from the pro gay, proselytizers, about bestiality being evil, is that they deem it one sided. And that if both parties in the relationship are "loving and committed" then it is acceptable. With all the anthropomorphism going on and groups like the "furries" I really don't see this as that far removed from possibility.

How is magic any different? it is a sin we love because its "cool" and desirable to use, but it is power, and power has to come from somewhere. Moses withstood pharaoh, by the power of GOD alone, where exactly did
    pharaoh's magicians get their magical powers from? If it was not God, as I hope everyone in this forum believes, then that leaves at least 2 likely sources. Demonic, or of themselves, via whatever science or learning they might have used. The point being it is NOT of God.

It is one thing to depict a sin and demonstrate that its power is ultimately not of God, and against him.
    But to pick up a sin, and dust it off, and fancy it up, and try to pass it off as something Good, is ultimately fruitless, and against scripture. If your going to call one sin, like witchcraft Good, then you NULLIFY Gods word, because where are you going to stop? Ever heard of Sex magick ? Is this also acceptable to the Lord?

If you believe so, then I rest my case about the erosion of Gods word, and if you believe not, then why is it unacceptable if any other form of magic is. Are we going to start having examples of other sins that God winks and chuckles at because they are not "bad " enough? God Forbid.

And I am sorry if it hurts anyone feelings because they revere the writings (CREATIONS of MEN) of some authors such as C.S. Lewis, and Tolkien, but we really need to think about this, are we going to be followers of Men, or are we going to be followers of GOD?

I remember when I tried to Justify my own sin of adultery, because I thought she was being abused, but regardless of the situation, one sin never justifies another sin. And according to the Scriptures all sins are equal, equally bad.

We really are living in bad times where satanic propaganda surrounds us everywhere we look, telling us that the things God teaches us from his Word are somehow irrelevant to us today. Look at source, function, and purpose. If it is Not from God, who is its source? What function does it have, and what is its ultimate purpose?

Advertising with sex, is a good example, it's source is man, who is sinful. its purpose is to tempt one to buy their products, and the purpose is to make THEM, wealthy.

Sin is sin, no matter how well you try to whitewash it, dress it up, and perfume it. The stench of Dung will still remain.
  • Eloquently put, and thank You !

Ron Z
  • I am currently creating a Christian comic that involve some of those stuff too, however I don't really agree with the way C.S. Lewis create a novel, from my point of view, it seems like many Christian don’t really know how cool God is but indulge them self in things of the world.

Just because CS Lewis makes it successfully, doesn’t mean he is right in biblical point of view.

We should be very careful not to promote those evil spirit, cause we only worship one true God, I use magic and wizard in my comic to teach young readers not to involve in such kind of activities.

Those activities were been practice very often in my country, Malaysia, a multi racial nation.

We all know from study of scripture, all those magic craft technique are been teach by fallen angels to mankind in order to stray us away from God.

Why not create a war of a great prophet vs. devil or something like that, read the Old Testament bro, there's many reference in it for great comic materials. Please don’t be offended with my words.

God bless
  • Everything should be written about and addressed from a Christian perspective.
    Why is it so many Christians are fearful of writing about or drawing the wrong thing?

The mainstream media provides a HUGE opportunity for Christians to address all popular art and media from a Christian perspective.

It's Fantasy, some non believers think Chritianity is Fantasy. Give them a Christian Fantasy mixed in with all the other popular stuff but do it with an solid Christian perspective.

Who are we trying to reach with these books anyway?

Those are my 2 cents.
    perspective.it
    This domain may be for sale!
  • I just got done reading a book by Richard Abanes called Fantasy and Your Family. He compares the type of magic used in The Lord of the Rings (J.R.R. Tolkien) with that of the Harry Potter books.

The distinction is that the magic used in LOTRs is a very generalized "magic" whereas Rowling in the
    Potter books uses real world "magick" with actual occult practices like divination, necromancy, spell casting and so forth.

I can't go into all his arguments but I'd recommend checking out his book.

Don
  • Arthur C. Clarke wrote that "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
    You show comics about mobile phones and the internet to an 18th century man, he'd call it magic.

I submit to you that mind control, psychokinesis, telepathy, clairvoyance - these appear as magic to us right now but in the future they may well be defined under technology.

So I feel that we must ask ourselves whether the magic we are portraying is an attempt (in our own heart) to pervert, corrupt, or contest God's miracles.

If not then great!

When required by story (as it was in the Exodus contest between Pharaoh's sorcerors vs God's Moses) then one can portray such evil magic against the power of God's own miracles in a light that is pleasing to the God of scripture..

As for "magical creatures" in Narnia being frowned upon - these Christians should read the book of Ezekiel. There are far more magical and frightening creatures out there than they realize.
  • My wife loves to write Christian fantasy with magic and we've discussed this issue quite a bit. She celebrates how C.S. Lewis took back imagery and characters from Greek mythology and used them to tell a Christ metaphor tale. I happen to agree that he did a great job of that.

Personally I'm not a fan of magic and have always loved Science Fiction instead... lending my work toward technological explanations. I really do believe it's a subject that requires some divine inspiration and guidance.

So here is what I'd like to bring up. The vary word Narcissist is derived from a Greek (or was it Roman) myth which involves magic and mythical gods. So how would you create a comic about a superhero dealing with pride, since you can't use the word Narcissist? I'm being facetious of course. But my point is this... we can't approach life with fear. There is this attitude that anything the devil has ever used for destruction, is forever "evil" and tainted. We can reclaim characters and ideas and use them for good. I'm not saying let's unleash the "magic", but there is nothing inherently evil about a half bull, half man character (Minotaur) simply because it's been used for other things which are destructive. Frankly, I'm glad to have something like Narnia to help offset some very dark material I'd seen when I was a kid.

I am also of the opinion that I don't need it to tell a story and I hate the belief that certain elements "serve the story". That idea taken to its full extend can be used to justify sex, drugs, gore and profanity. It can't be used as a measuring line to "serve the story".

I think its important to catch the heart of God when it comes to creating narrative. It is not egocentric or God denying to create superhero's. We all emulate our Father God and mimic how He created. It's part of how we love on Him. He is mentoring us on the battlefield of life and teaching us to be great warriors and good kings. Not totalitarian nightmares but men and women who care over our circle of influence with excellence in the Spirit of the Lord. And just like Christ, we are also called to execute judgement at several important times in our walk, and often times quite often. I absolutely reject the idea that making warrior type superhero's is somehow Godless. We love superhero stories because it's a glimpse of our calling. Sure it's a bit extreme in some ways, but if "...greater things than these, you will do" (according to Jesus) then superheros may be a little weak compared to some of what God does through people in the real-world. Consider the Bible Superhero's of David's Mighty Men. They are perfect examples of Super Heroes in the Bible.

I say bring on the superhero who fights human trafficking and is sometimes able to convert the bad guys as well (it's called a prison ministry).

And it is alright to create a fictional miracle. Come on! Wasn't it Peter's idea to request that Jesus invite him out onto the water? Wasn't Christ pleased? I'm just saying if it can pass Philippians 4:8-9 then let it fly.

Of course don't glamorize magic and witchcraft, but do invite the Holy Spirit in to your work. The Holy Spirit once told me that "wisdom is giving God the opportunity to say, No". Write anything you like, just have the Holy Spirit edit it before it goes to print. :)

Daniel Morrison
    Remnant Studios
    www.remnantstudios.com
  • R Jay said, "I would venture that all us kids who grew up with the chronicles of Narnia weren't confused with a 'blend of truth and paganism' ". But I would venture to say that if Lewis and others hadn't confused people with their blend of Truth and paganism, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Obviously there IS confusion.

R Jay went on to dismiss weak brothers by asking, "How weak are these people anyway? I hope we all understand that as hard as you try, sooner or latter someone will stumble."

Are you going to take the chance that your writing may cause someone to stumble?

"whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea." Matthew 18:6

Certainly they may stumble at some point but let it never be by my hand. Will it be by yours? You are free in Christ to write anything you want in your stories. Will you be so lacking in love that you do not care about the weakest of the bretheren because they cramp your writing style? That is an important question for all of us to answer.

Buzz brought science fiction into this debate. Many story genres are spiritually neutral because they are empty vessels into which we pour ideas. They're like TV or the internet– morally neutral vehicles. Its what we do with them that makes them good or bad. So there is nothing implicitly wrong with science fiction or fantasy per se. Its what we do with them that matters.

Let's look at Star Trek. Its core message is godless humanism. They see man as evolving to a superior state. Science and reason are their idols that they believe will solve all their problems. Are Christians free to watch and enjoy Star Trek with discernment? Yes! Should we write stories like that? No!

How about Star Wars? This franchise is spiritual poison. It has done much to spread the New Age belief. Don't ever believe our stories aren't powerful messengers. Because of Star Wars, the belief that God is an impersonal "force" has spread like wildfire. Even professing Christians are embracing a non-thinking approach to Christianity– Do not think, just do. "Embrace not knowing" is the heresy of the day.

"I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom: preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching. For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. As for you, always be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry." 2 Tim 4:1-5

I'm not suggesting that we write simplistic, bland morality tales. God has given us talent and passion. Use your skills to challenge people. Use your stories to point people to God. By all means use your imaginations to write fantasy stories but don't corrupt them by giving merit to lies. Use magic in your stories but show it to be a lie.

There is no middle ground with God. "Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters." Matthew 12:30. You can not use lies for God's glory. The best stories we can write will have truth at their core. Dress it up as you like but don't stray from the truth.
  • The fact is, we are in no way capable of putting the Almighty in a box. To the contrary, He puts us in a box.

Ephesians 5:11 "And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them."

So yes, I would reprove C. S. Lewis for depicting magic and paganism in a positive way. Did he reach people with the gospel or did he confuse them with a blend of truth and paganism? You know, Narnia is not scripture and Lewis was not infallible. He did a lot of good but sometimes his conclusions were questionable.

Jeremiah 10:2 instructs us, "Do not learn the way of the Gentiles".

Deut. 12:30-31 "take heed to yourself that you are not ensnared to follow them, after they are destroyed from before you, and that you do not inquire after their gods, saying, `How did these nations serve their gods? I also will do likewise.' You shall not worship the LORD your God in that way, for every abominable thing that the LORD hates they have done for their gods "

Let us be very clear- we do not convert anybody. That is God's job (John 6:44). We are only given the Great Commission to proclaim the truth. "So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ." Romans 10:17 It is the truth that God uses to convict and draw people to Jesus, not pagan fantasies. God says He hates the way they worship their gods. You are not honoring Him by using their lies to get God's truth across. If you disagree, take it up with God, because that is what He said. He hates paganism.

Does that mean we can not use fantasy in stories? No. But we must ask if the fantasy is a pagan lie and are we giving the lie credibility? Are we glorifying the truth or a lie? Are there no fantasies that can glorify God? Are we bound to use the abominations of pagans?

Will we say to the weak brothers for whom our Lord died, "To heck with them! I'm free to do whatever I think is right in my own eyes!" or will we demonstrate love as Paul did in 1 Cor. 8:13 and say (to paraphrase) "Therefore, if my fantasies cause my brother to stumble, I will never write fantasies again, so that I will not cause my brother to stumble." ?
This reply was deleted.