CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS
My greatest weakness is making the faces all look alike when I draw the same character on different panels with different angles and facial expressions.  I think if I had more time to draw then I wouldn't rush it.

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have issues with scenery or backgrounds.
  • The female figure is one weakness I have in drawing for comics and in real life. I'm a man now but since I was a boy I'd draw super heroes and muscleMEN not women. I have to continually look at references to be able to draw the female figure in all the walking, talking, flying, sitting, running, punching...you get the idea, poses. I'm getting better with age and practice but it's still a challenge for me.
  • This is a fun and informative thread. My greatest weakness I think is drawing male musculature in various positions. Quite hard at times so I probably take more time than others to get things just right.
  • Hey Robert,

The greatest thing to fear is fear itself.  Don't talk yourself out of doing it. Just do it. You learn as you go. Trust me. When it comes to art just have fun. Don't put all your eggs in one basket and never commit to anything of what you put on a page. Give it your best but don't be so serious with it.  Draw something on a page but be just as ready to erase. Nothing is concrete.

It's like figure drawing....With figure drawing it's a lot of erasing until the figure is right.  Step back and look at it from a distance see if it looks good to the eye if it looks good to the eye from a distance then keep going.  If not erase and try something different. 

Also keep a sketchbook with you and doodle a lot. Just have fun with the sketching, you'll come up with a lot of good stuff that way, then you can just trace it to the real page.

Well that's enough of me babbling.

• Robert,

Here are a couple tips to make your life manageable when coming to doing your project:

1. Do it. Just put your head down and do it. Start!

2. Keep it concise. Set a very specific goal that you need to reach. 8 pages, 12 pages 24. DON'T say your going to to do a 100 page or 130 page book or something. It will feel extremely daunting. IF your project is going to be large - BREAK IT DOWN into manageable chunks.  

3. Potentially "publish" in real time. As in post each page as you complete it to a website. This will generate ongoing interest and immediate feedback.

4. IF you are bringing a concept to a writer - or in this instance it sounds like a collaborator, bounce the idea off of them to find out if it's a feasible or worthy idea. They may be able to point out the issues that you can't see.

5. Step out in Faith. If the Lord is behind it, it will all work for it's intended purpose. 

• Hey http://scottmcdaniel.net/ also have perspective tips. Thanks for your comments Christopher.

One of my main nemesis is drawing people from top view and making them look natural. Also, I'm trying to get better with drawing clothes.

Scott McDaniel - writer/artist
    Scott McDaniel, comic book artist, shares insights into drawing comics professionally, behind-the-scenes art, private collections, Christian art, and…
  • Hey David,

Get David Chelsea's:Perspective For Comic Book Artists

It breaks things down very clearly and effectively.

• Perspective is probably my weakness. I keep trying to find a good reference picture/photo to copy from when I want to get make things realistic. I have a perspective book but it's sometimes difficult to understand.
  • Oh Todd the book you did from what I saw would make good anime.  I saw your samples and the art gets better and better.  Your style is developing nicely.

Christopher Haupt said:
    When it comes to that I use a whole lot of reference to save me the trouble of having to learn it. You do learn as you go though.

Melchizedek Todd said:
    Perspective!!! I tell myself one day I'll just dedicate a week or more to try to master it, but I don't really. I figure I'll just learn on the way, but I should try to put some work in doing it better.
  • When it comes to that I use a whole lot of reference to save me the trouble of having to learn it. You do learn as you go though.

Melchizedek Todd said:
    Perspective!!! I tell myself one day I'll just dedicate a week or more to try to master it, but I don't really. I figure I'll just learn on the way, but I should try to put some work in doing it better.
This reply was deleted.