CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS
Hey FriendsSince we all desire a certain level of success in this business/ministry of Christian Comics ,I thought that I would ask a question. Who or what is the most successful Christian comic book title? I'm defining success by popularity/exposure, longevity and units moved. Why have certain titles "made it" while other "seem" to limp along? In this quest to be successful I'm looking to them that have managed to end up in the light. This is by no means a new topic or give man the glory mission, but valuable in terms of research and the ability to get solid content to a community that is willing to recieve and consume it.Clint D. Johnsonwww.newcreationnow.com

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• though the run is probably not long enough to be considered, i think the production quality as well as sales and what it's doing as far as missionary and ministry work, i'd look at Manga Messiah, Manga Metamorphosis. They sell all over the world and even have smaller, shorter versions which they both give away and sell in various languages. Does anyone know their sales #'s?
  • I think Reggie Byer's Kidz of the King either had or is still having a good run with UMI as a Sunday school supplement (of all things). They weren't numbered, but last time I checked, there's at least a dozen of them. I believe they came out quarterly, but I'm not certain of that.

Speaking of UMI, does anyone know what's happening with their Guardian line? I have a couple issues of Seekers because I met writer Kevin McCarthy a couple years ago.
  • I would have guessed Marvel, because llluminator was published, copyrighted and trademarked by Marvel. It was also anchored in Marvel continuity (issue #1 refers to Dallas as "the place where the X-Men were supposed to have died.") It would be nice to find out, even though I can't afford to do anything with it.

Ralph Ellis Miley said:
    I haven't a clue as who would own the rights to the Illuminator. I would assume it would be Thomas Nelson... I seriously doubt that TN knows that it owns the rights.
  • Ralph Ellis Miley said:
    I haven't a clue as who would own the rights to the Illuminator. I would assume it would be Thomas Nelson... I seriously doubt that TN knows that it owns the rights.

I would have guessed Marvel, because llluminator was published, copyrighted and trademarked by Marvel. It was also anchored in Marvel continuity (issue #1 refers to Dallas as "the place where the X-Men were supposed to have died.") It would be nice to find out, even though I can't afford to do anything with it.
  • PowerMark ran for 24 issues, Clint. It's either on an extended break or no longer being published. Maybe someone else knows more...

PowerMark #1 shows 2000 for it's copyright. #24 seems to be missing a copyright date, but it can't be more than a few years old. I'm guessing it came out in 2005 or 06. For now, let's call it 24 issues plus digests over a 6 year run. That's nothing to sneeze at.

I heard somewhere that PowerMark Productions and/or Quest Ministries (the publisher) was connected with the Assemblies of God Church. Did that make it a denominational publication? Can anyone confirm or deny this?

So the question remains, what did the PowerMark people do right?

Clint DeRon Johnson said:
    Is there any information on Power Mark? ... I'm giving them credit for what I believe to be a 12 issue run and then manga size TPB reprint. great stuff.
  • Illuminator was exciting at the time. An obvious christian themed main stream comic. I'm a fan of most anything christian comics related. I'm extremely fond of the "superhero catagory". So many great titles have been mentioned. Is there any information on Power Mark? Is that series in the running? I'm giving them credit for what I believe to be a 12 issue run and then manga size TPB reprint. great stuff.
  • I haven't a clue as who would own the rights to the Illuminator. I would assume it would be Thomas Nelson since Marvel was just serving as the production house. And I think all the parties associated with Illuminator no longer work at TN. I seriously doubt that TN knows that it owns the rights.
  • I won't presume to enter the debate between Mr. Miley and Mr. Porta, but I would like to put my own two bits worth into this discussion...

Clint, thanks for defining success. That was my big question, because I feel good answers depend on your definition. I intend to limit my replies to what we might consider modern Christian comics, too. While I have nothing against the "classics," I suspect you were referring to the more modern comics.

Most popular/exposure - I'd say it's a toss up between Archangels and the Z GNs, with an honorable mention to the EyeWitness books.
    Greatest longevity - Cardinal Adventures. No one else comes close to Kurt's 17 year run.
    Units moved - Left Behind! Those skinny GNs had sales numbers that made Marvel & DC exceedingly jealous of Tyndale. If someone could pick up the rights and continue the series, they'd have a built in market...

A question for the historians, though - I thought I'd heard "Treasure Chest" was available to the public in the last few years of its run. Is this true or not?

A question for the record - who has the rights to Illuminator? That's another book that ought to be resurrected.
  • I can understand the longevity issue and Chick tracts always catch your attention. Please, I'd love to read the article you did about the Thomas Nelson/Marvel collaboration.

Ralph Ellis Miley said:
    Though Archangels had a very successful run, I think a key to success is longevity. Do the titles stand the test of time. Every year at San Diego at least one person usually asks about Archangels, however, people continue to pick up the Chick tracts. Several people always have some comment about Chick and his tracts continue to be a popular draw at the CCAS table.

Concerning the Illuminator, Don Ensign, Kevin Yong, and I wrote an extensive article about the Thomas Nelson/Marvel collaboration that appeared in the New Creation newsletter. We might post that article on the New Creation blog.
  • Though Archangels had a very successful run, I think a key to success is longevity. Do the titles stand the test of time. Every year at San Diego at least one person usually asks about Archangels, however, people continue to pick up the Chick tracts. Several people always have some comment about Chick and his tracts continue to be a popular draw at the CCAS table.

Concerning the Illuminator, Don Ensign, Kevin Yong, and I wrote an extensive article about the Thomas Nelson/Marvel collaboration that appeared in the New Creation newsletter. We might post that article on the New Creation blog.
This reply was deleted.