CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Westboro Baptist Church hates "nerds" too.

http://kotaku.com/5588292/hate-church-targets-comic+con

And heres what the church has to say about the San Diego comic con on their schedule, where they plan to protest July 22 from 1:15pm to 2:00pm on their website:

"San Diego Convention Center 111 W Harbor Dr. WBC to picket Comic Con 2010 at the San Diego Convention Center. Are you kidding?! If these people would spend even some of the energy that they spend on these comic books, reading the Bible, well no high hopes here. They have turned comic book characters into idols, and worship them they do! Isaiah 2:8 Their land also is full of idols; they worship the work of their own hands, that which their own fingers have made: 9 And the mean man boweth down, and the great man humbleth himself: therefore forgive them not. It is time to put away the silly vanities and turn to God like you mean it. The destruction of this nation is imminent - so start calling on Batman and Superman now, see if they can pull you from the mess that you have created with all your silly idolatry."

If any of you plan to go to the San Diego comic con on the 22nd, expect to see some of them there. Is it possible to show the protestors the truth? Or best to just leave them alone??

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• As you mentioned Romans 9 as validation of God's hatred towards a group of people, show the verses that indicate this hatred by God. I am not saying that there are not things God does not hate, divorce being an example. But Scripture is very clear on what God hates. I just want Scripture that declares that God hates homosexuals, fornicators, etc. Wrath and hatred are two different things. My own children may feel my wrath, but that does not the same as hatred. Jesus Himself knew Scriptures, but like the religious leaders of His time, they misapplied the meaning of them.
  • Ralph Ellis Miley said:
    Please excuse me, because I can sometimes be rather dense. What verse in Romans 9 declares God's hatred of a group of people?

As far as the O.T. Buzz mentioned, you must look at the ones who wrote the books. In Jewish culture, everything is attributed to the Lord. That is why you rarely see Satan or demonic forces mentioned in O.T. writings. However, in the N.T. we have greater spiritual insight and so we see that the devil and demonic forces are mentioned far more times. In the O.T. we don't see God mentioned as Father often because of the Jewish perceptions of God. However, in the N.T. we see God is mentioned as our Father many, many times. N.T. writers have greater insight to the spiritual nature of things and a greater appreciation as God as our Father. So you cannot dismiss Buzz's point of view of cultural influences in Biblical text.

@Ralph: I am fine with God revealing Himself more and more throughout history. I am fine with the New Testament presenting God as Father. Greater spiritual insight, however, does not necessitate that everything the prophets and patriarchs said before was contradictory. That doesn't even make sense. More importantly, if the New Testament does not show, whether explicitly or implicitly, that God's hatred was metaphoric, or figurative, or a million other things, then it is nothing other than assumption.
  • Please excuse me, because I can sometimes be rather dense. What verse in Romans 9 declares God's hatred of a group of people?

As far as the O.T. Buzz mentioned, you must look at the ones who wrote the books. In Jewish culture, everything is attributed to the Lord. That is why you rarely see Satan or demonic forces mentioned in O.T. writings. However, in the N.T. we have greater spiritual insight and so we see that the devil and demonic forces are mentioned far more times. In the O.T. we don't see God mentioned as Father often because of the Jewish perceptions of God. However, in the N.T. we see God is mentioned as our Father many, many times. N.T. writers have greater insight to the spiritual nature of things and a greater appreciation as God as our Father. So you cannot dismiss Buzz's point of view of cultural influences in Biblical text.
  • Buzz Dixon said:
    For the record, I do not believe God "hates" or "punishes" or "shows wrath" or "becomes angry" or "regrets" in the human sense of those words.

I believe prophets, teachers, and scribes inspired by God were only able to explain some aspects of God's word in their own limited language/culture. Basically, the first 5 books of the Bible, the underpinning for everything else that follows, were written by a pretty angry, feisty, violent guy who came from an even angrier, feistier, more violent background. That he was even capable of wondering if there was a better way was a remarkable achievement and made him "the most humble" man among his people.

If you're an abortion clinic bomber you're probably gonna be a nicer guy than the drug dealers, murderers, and rapists in your prison. Same w/Moses & the children of Israel.

This does not make the message of the early prophets and apostles invalid, but it behooves us to look at the core message as unfiltered as possible by the culture of the era.

God declares himself to be a God of love. He sent His son to save all of humanity, not to condemn it. It is His will that all be saved. He is quick to forgive & eager to do so.

Fred Phelps & family are losing the signal in the noise.

My response to this would be that in Romans 9 and in Malachi 1, God's love is contrasted against God's hate. If God's hate is figurative, if His wrath, and anger, and abhorrence are not literal, then 1) why are we to presume that God's love is literal, particularly given that it is supposedly contrasted against a FIGURATIVE hatred? and 2) what is meant by God's 'hate', if not 'hate'? and 3) If the word 'hate' was used because of the spiritual and moral limitations of Old Testament prophets, then why is Paul, arguably more charitable and broken than anyone on this board, preaching on God's hate as he does in Romans 9?

These are all entirely valid and pertinent questions. If we are going to criticize the modern church for its lack of commitment to solid exegesis and critical thinking, for its cohesion to wordly concepts and traditions, for its marriage to fads and trends outside of the Gospel, then it is important to ask where your interpretation of God's hatred comes from, and whether it comes from any other source than the Word of God. Is it grounded in something other than what you've read by St Augustine or the Jewish writer Philo? If the best that can be said about the matter is that you [i]think[/i] God's hatred is something other than what it says because it sounds [i]nice[/i], then why should I, why should anyone, have any emotional investment to it?
  • Anne Langston said:

Sven Jacobs said:

L

If anybody underscored that I was in need of Christ, and that I was a wretched, vile, carnal, wicked, and evil sinner, it was Westboro. If anybody loved this generation, it was Fred Phelps. And if anybody hated me, it was all the preachers who would have me believe I'm okay in general, but in some need of light cleansing. If anybody loathed me, it was everyone who had me believe that God loved me regardless of constantly reviling Him to His face. It was those people, that is to say MOST people, who hated me and were inviting me on a one way trip to Hell.
    Sven, I'm relatively new to this site so I don't know, but are you by any chance a member of Westboro?

@Anne: No. I visited once two months or so ago since it was only a few hours from where I live now, but that is the extent of my interactions with Westboro.

• Ralph Ellis Miley said:
    When they were at Comic Con for less than 30 minutes, the police wouldn't allow anyone close enough to them to speak with them. I know that there were several members of the CCAS who would've enjoy talking with them about their views.

That's so telling: there's Westboro, encamped in police and unreachable as they spread their "gospel" for a half hour - meanwhile, the CCAS table is there in the heart of the convention every day and sharing the good news with convention visitors, answering questions and reflecting genuine Christian love. This year in particular I'm really glad that the CCAS was able to be there.

• Sven Jacobs said:

L

If anybody underscored that I was in need of Christ, and that I was a wretched, vile, carnal, wicked, and evil sinner, it was Westboro. If anybody loved this generation, it was Fred Phelps. And if anybody hated me, it was all the preachers who would have me believe I'm okay in general, but in some need of light cleansing. If anybody loathed me, it was everyone who had me believe that God loved me regardless of constantly reviling Him to His face. It was those people, that is to say MOST people, who hated me and were inviting me on a one way trip to Hell.
    Sven, I'm relatively new to this site so I don't know, but are you by any chance a member of Westboro?
  • Lee Weeks said:
    Sven, a while back you responded to me regarding my statement about the hatred of Westboro: "Man, when I watch their interviews, what I see isn't hatred whirling and writhing around them. "

WBC's CHURCH website name: "Godhatesfags.com"
    What do most of their placards say? "God hates...." and fill in the blank with one of many different groups of people.
    Other picket signs implore people to "pray for more dead soldiers"

If you don't see "hate" where it is actually written and spoken plainly and regularly, you have some interesting filters on your ocular organs. We get a lot of behavioral instruction from the epistles, but I don't recall the epistle that teaches us to preach God's hatred of man.

Lee

Lee, in Acts 20:27, Paul says that he is innocent as a preacher because he preached the whole counsel of God, and in this, I take him as our example. He did not shrink away from preaching on God's hatred (Romans 9), neither should we. Especially since God Himself explains that the love He shows His elect is expressed by the contrast shown in His hatred of others (Malachi 1:1-5). Preaching on God's hatred does not necessitate that the preacher hates - that does not follow logically; anymore than it stands that someone who talks about God's love necessarily loves anybody.

• When they were at Comic Con for less than 30 minutes, the police wouldn't allow anyone close enough to them to speak with them. I know that there were several members of the CCAS who would've enjoy talking with them about their views.
  • I'd like to hear more accounts of anyone with the CCAS who actually spoke with the Westboro "Baptists" (and do they plan on being at the show next year as well?)
This reply was deleted.