CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

well-done superhero comics

Recently, I've started a blog specifically devoted to reviewing lesser-known superheroes. One of the things I'd love to do through the blog is point others toward really well-done superhero comics.  I dearly loved many superhero comics and cartoons of the 1980s (e.g., Captain America and Bravestarr) and it saddens me that it's so hard to find similarly positive, uplifting stories for my own children now.  

This is a general invitation to any of you who might be producing superhero webcomics--or who might know of high quality work being done by others--to please let me know about them.  Just reply to this message with the URL of the webcomic you're recommending I look at.

There are a few criteria I'd ask you to help me with.  First, I'm only interested in superhero stories.  That's not to say that other kinds of comics don't have their value...they just aren't what I'm looking for.

Second, please don't refer any stories unless at least some portion is freely available via the web.  I don't want to have to purchase a bunch of stuff just to review it.

Third, if you think the artwork and/or storytelling is lame, please don't refer it to me just because it has a Christian theme.  The whole point is to be able to highlight people who are doing the best work and hopefully help them attract a larger audience.  

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give, and thank you all for the seriousness with which you seek to exercise your gifts for a purpose higher and nobler than yourselves.  Your work matters.

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for responding, K.G.  In response to some of your questions:

1. I would certainly welcome whatever you'd be gracious enough to send.  However, I should let you know that I'm more interested in stories where at least some portion of the story is freely available online to any reader.  The reason for that is that I'd like anyone who reads my reviews to get the chance to sample some of the comics themselves (and judge what sort of trust they want to place in my judgement) before committing their own funds toward purchase.
    2. Your story concept sounds very interesting. While I'm not restricting my focus strictly to comics written for kids, I am only interested in stories that could be read to kids.  I don't mind stories that challenge kids to grow/deepen their understanding (indeed, I rather prefer them).  My primary interest is in avoiding stories that could be corrupting of kids, or that seem determined to intentionally undermine traditional Christian morals.  (Since you're a member of this group, I'm assuming your work wouldn't run into this problem.)  
  • I'm self-publishing my superhero comic on Createspace, but I could potentially send you a free print or digital copy (whatever you'd prefer) when it's done. It's not your traditional superhero comic (it's about a detective using her powers to solve crimes and catch criminals), and the first volume be finished for a couple of years at the earliest, but I hope to get good press when it's done. Also, are you looking to review just kids' comics, or are stories geared at teens and/or adults acceptable. My series is geared more at adults because it deals with social issues that would go over kids' heads.
  • Thanks for the kind words and the suggestion about posting this to the FB page. I will certainly do so.

Brien Sparling said:

Nice wording on this, hope it gets the response it deserves. Post this on the CCAS Facebook site as well.

well-done superhero comics
    Recently, I've started a blog specifically devoted to reviewing lesser-known superheroes. One of the things I'd love to do through the blog is point…
  • Nice wording on this, hope it gets the response it deserves. Post this on the CCAS Facebook site as well.

This reply was deleted.