CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

I've been thinking this over for some time, my husband has been writing a werewolf story for a while now, oriented it towards a graphic novel, the plot is AWESOME (imo- being his wife aside-and I'm pretty picky on plots).

Now, though the idea of vampires/werewolves are a sticky subject due to their references to curses, demons, etc can a good story that involves such themes that are popular to the modern culture (maybe not just the modern but you get the idea- though no sparkly vamps in this...it's just wrong!) can be created in a way to show Christian tones much in the way of Lord of the Rings, or The Hobbit does? Or is this considered "compromising" ? Which is one of the many things I do NOT want to do with the talent God has graced me with.

A woman once told me "oh good, christian comics shouldn't have violence in them", see, I like some blood and gore here and there (there is a point of excessive use, however) and some explosions, fights, good ol get down drag outs knuckle busters, but yet whenever it comes to "christian" comics, it seems we're "not supposed to do that".

Well, sometimes that's everyday life in the world, fights, disagreements, etc, depending on your plot and genre of course, but it seems even us as Christians think that comics are supposed to be all smiles, sunshine, roses and lollipops!...and that's where we get corny stories that bore people to tears (imo).

My pastor always says if you can't find it in the Bible to back it up, don't do it. Since the Bible is Gods Word and all manner of instruction (as we know) is in there, besides prayer over the subject.

I honestly feel like I'm in the box with my creativity due to this, if I know I can create something awesome and not just mediocre and still give God praise through it, I'll hit the roof with joy!

Your thoughts?

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks, that's the general idea of what I think the story is evolving towards.

Paul Philpott JR said:

while I try to avoid subjects like vampires and werewolves i do believe they can be used in a symbolic way to give a spiritual message.For example you could have a vampire who struggles against his desire for human blood as a symbolic representation of the spiritual battle between the old and new nature of a christian. of course they do make good villains representing satan and his evil forces these are just a few ideas

Vampires & Werewolves, can we tell a Christian-oriented GOOD story with such themes?
    I've been thinking this over for some time, my husband has been writing a werewolf story for a while now, oriented it towards a graphic novel, the pl…
  • Personally, I don't see a problem with using vampires or werewolves or even zombies allegorically (not particularly my preferred genre, but I don't have a problem with them really). Monsters in secular fiction tend to represent aspects of human nature or the human condition, so why not just put a Christian spin on it? I see it as more about the portrayal than the archetype. Mermaids have ties to pagan legends and even the occult, but I wouldn't exactly call Ariel a tool of Satan.

Though the undead are traditionally associated with the occult, lust, and numerous other taboos in Christianity, as you've said there's the potential to draw parallels between the lifting of a monster's curse and the spiritual transformation that comes about when one is born again. This might work especially well for vampires as it's easier to make the connection between a dead character and a dead or not-yet-quickened spirit. And personally, I don't see why they would necessarily have to be the villain. Though darker, the allegory could work the other way, portraying the vampire in a way that exemplifies being dead to sin and having new life in Christ (i.e. maybe the flaws of his human side are in fact the problem, like the flesh, and what he's turning into more closely models the spiritual man). If it's merely the occult element of it all that's the issue, then there is of course an easy work-around: just take a page from Marvel's Morbius: The Living Vampire or virtually every zombie franchise that's out there, changing the origin of the character's affliction from the supernatural (a curse, a potion) to science fiction (a viral or bacterial plague, being taken over by an alien organism).

Those are just my thoughts. Hope they're of some value!

• while I try to avoid subjects like vampires and werewolves i do believe they can be used in a symbolic way to give a spiritual message.For example you could have a vampire who struggles against his desire for human blood as a symbolic representation of the spiritual battle between the old and new nature of a christian. of course they do make good villains representing satan and his evil forces these are just a few ideas

• I agree, vamps are bad and should stay that way and vampires should never "sparkle"... *shudder* >.<, but again, this isn't just on vampires, what about the werewolves if one werewolf is a good guy that (eventually) is cured of his lycanthrope that he was born with (taking the born in sin as that and salvation as the cure, I assume is my hubby's goal)?

• As I see it, using vampires, or I guess werewolves, in a story isn't a bad thing if they're used as villains, as monsters. The problem I have is when I see vampires glorified in fiction... like with THE VAMPIRE DIARIES or TWILIGHT.

I'm using Count Orlok (from NOSFERATU) in AN ACT OF FAITH. One of the themes in the story is that vampires are bad. Vampires are walking dead things that want to eat you. (I say this all of the time) Vampires should not be cute guys that all of the young girls want to make smoochies with.  

• I have done some research on werewolves and the myth of them, seems they go back to the era of witchcraft and shape shifters. I'm Cherokee (60%) and know about "skinwalkers" from legends, which are were-creatures or shamans who change into animals, etc. Now, the Bible talks about not emulating or even being Witches or in witchcraft, sorcerers, etc...would creating such a story be emulating this then?

This reply was deleted.