CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS
I get frustrated sometimes because I struggle with getting my comic book done and being there for my family and others who rely strongly on me.  It's like I have this dream to accomplish something, but I have to balance it out with work, bills, grandparents, friends, church, and the other ministry I'm called to do. I am not where I want to be in life. And I feel like things keep coming up to get in the way of me working on the comic. I really struggle with regret and sadness and I think it hinders me from having a better outlook on life. Does anyone have some good advice that can help me to be okay with what's going on?

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hey Christopher,

That's something I 've struggled with and still face as a frustration. Early in my marriage I felt the strain and I would think about the good ol' single days. But then I realized I wasted a lot of time doing senseless or foolish things when I was single. Not to say that was all bad, but I could had spent more time with God when I think back. But now Married with kids and a full-timer it is a strain at times and like Lisa said you have to find the time and oppurtunities to do something. And that is the key-DO SOMETHING. I've known people throughout my life who complained and whined about accomplishing a dream, but did nothing to start it or finish it.

Another thing, can your other ministry become less and your comic book ministry become more? As I began to focus more on my comic, the diffrernt ministries I was involved in at church began to lessen. I actually had to make a conscious decision to stop some church ministries for my comic due to time and realizing my comic is the main ministry after my family that God wants me to pursue now.

And one more ramble is a thought that's been rambling in my head. I was talking to a co-worker about having more time and mastering time. He disagreed with me and said you can only manage time. Personally, I prefer to think I can master time. Not to say I can do it or I am mastering time effectively right now, but I feel it's a better way to view time than to think it's our master. The Bible says we are more than conquerors. Just a thought.

• Christopher,

I'm praying for you.  Comics--especially those done in entirety by their creators, are truly a balancing act.  Remember during this season of your life that you are God's workmanship.  YOU are God's project.  So when life gets hectic and you're wearing a bunch of hats, remember that God is working on you.  So many comics escape the attention of a potential readership because there is no substance to them.  As God is showing you the ropes with balancing the details of life, He is giving you substance for your book.  The experiences you have between pages will undoubtedly impact the content of your book, and you will see God working all things together for good, for those who love Him and are called to His purposes.

I agree wholeheartedly with Lisa's response.  Wait on God.  Be re-centered in purpose and your thought process.  Ask God what He would have you do right now.  Submit your plans to Him, but allow Him to order your steps.  He put those desires in you, and will also provide the time to see them come to fruit.

That being said, I understand man.  I'm going through the same dance right now!

• Christopher, I can't tell you how much I've struggled for years with the fact that time is limited with family and priorities, and often our passion for creating comics (a God-given gift) can sometimes be put on the shelf for awhile especially if it's not our main source of income. I don't believe that God is asking you to give up anything, but to wait on HIM and to pray. HE wants us to completely seek Him in all things and to devote ourselves to study His Word. Comics shouldn't come before that. You might need to re-evaluate certain things in your life, or re-schedule your time, and if it means staying up very late once or twice a week, maybe that's what needs to be done right now. I used to stay up until 2 am (sometimes later) 5 nights a week while I was working during the day just to give me time to draw when everyone else was asleep. Can you do this? I find I can't do it anymore, but God has also given me more time during the day now to work on comics. I keep coming across verses dealing with patience, perseverance and trust; these things are very valuable to Him. Trusting that He knows what He's doing with your life and yielding to His will, being thankful that He knows your desires and cares about them! As long as your priorities are in the right order, He can make a way for you to pursue your passion at the proper time. I used to get totally depressed not having enough time to create as much as I wanted, but I've also come to recognize that there are seasons in people's lives where He tells us to "pitch a tent and wait!"  You can always jot down ideas, make sketches, thumbnails and so forth so nothing is wasted, and to at least actively set aside time once a week if not more to do comics. I had to do that with my time as well. I remember taking notebooks to work with me (I teach) and while the kids were on the playground I would sometimes sketch a poster or comic page. Things can get done although right now it might take a bit longer.

Don't let the lack of time keep you from being joyful in Him and in life itself, but take the opportunity to be thankful for His gift in you as well as knowing that God does have a purpose for this time even if you don't understand it right now. Many blessings to you.

This reply was deleted.