CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

The greatest Christian Comic!

I've been researching about as many Christian comic books/graphic novels as I can and when I came accross Peter Madsen's Menneskesonnen (Son of Man). I was amazed! My copy is signed by Madsen and not one word is in English (unfortunately). The entire book is painted beautifully and captures the Gospel in such a clear and emotional narative that it is clear to anyone familiar with the Gospels. This has to be the best Gospel graphic novel i've come accross (visually as i can't read it). I would like my brothers in Christ and fellow Comic fans to rate there top 5 or top 10 all time Christian comics.I look forward to your lists so that i can delve further into the amazing interpretations of the Word!in ChristMoses

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Okay, that makes sense. I know there was an older one called The Picture Bible, and there's a new one called The Action Bible, which is basically a comic book/graphic novel version of the old one, coming out in a few months I think.

Martin Murtonen said:
    @Samuel Harris - I don't recall what the title was - but it was essentially the entire (or most of the) Bible illustrated front to back (it may have skipped Revelations) drawn in an old school method. (It may have been called literally "The Picture Bible" - I'll have to dig it up to make sure.
  • @Samuel Harris - I don't recall what the title was - but it was essentially the entire (or most of the) Bible illustrated front to back (it may have skipped Revelations) drawn in an old school method. (It may have been called literally "The Picture Bible" - I'll have to dig it up to make sure.
  • P.S. Martin, I didn't think the comic version of The Picture Bible had come out yet...do you mean The Action Bible?

Martin Murtonen said:
    Tullus.

And the picture bible comic - that was fantastic.
  • Though I'm a Christian and I love comic books, I'm afraid that I don't know of very many comic books that are considered Christian, and the few that I have gotten to read seem somewhat corny and not very deep. However, since I saw someone mention a secular comic book with Christian themes, I'm gonna vote for Astro City: The Confession by Kurt Busiek and Brent Eric Anderson. I don't know if the writer is a Christian or not, but the main superhero in this story was once a priest and is like a Christian version of Batman, and there are other Christian superheroes who are portrayed in a generally positive light, not a bad one just because they're Christians like in much secular media. Like most of Busiek's work, the story is brilliant and the artwork is good too, so I would definitely recommend this one.

Also, I second the vote for "Peanuts" by Charles Schultz. Can't mess with the classics.
  • Totally forgot about this one:

Wilbur Master of the Rats by Tom Finley.

Which is apparently available on his own website Snodgrass Comics- Read it and marvel. He actually made the metaphor/allegory of the Spiritual life work in a comic! Too many people shoe-horn the concept in and it's more obnoxious than it is beneficial.

If you're a fan of Walt Kelly's Pogo then this might be right up your alley. This was a fantastic read and I read it many many many times as a kid. Superb pacing, fantastic dialog,funny jokes both visually and written - and all around good read.
    http://www.snodgrasscomics.com/wilbur/page2.html
  • Tullus.

And the picture bible comic - that was fantastic.
  • I second that nod for "God Loves, Man Kills." It's one of my all-time favorites.

As for (explicitly) Christian Comics/Graphic Novels, I highly recommend Ted Dekker's Circle Trilogy (Black, Red, and White) and Rob Luedke's "Eye Witness" books.
  • Also, American Born Chinese by Gene Leung Yang. that's a great one with a great theological message- bolder than most stuff you'd find in a christian book store.
  • #1- hands way down is by far

"Peanuts" by Charles Schultz

the rest, in no particular order

the Marvel/Nelson Pilgrim's Progress adaptation was pretty awesome.

"X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills" (Marvel Graphic Novel #5)- I'm not sure about the faith of Claremont and the artist, but in the added interviews in the most recent HC edition, Claremont revealed some of this...

If there was ever a Superbook comic/manga- that would have to make the cut. (also- does anyone know who owns the rights to this- would it be the 700 Club people?)

The ooooolllldddd school golden age Bible adaptations- which were connected with a complany that later became part of DC (i think the most recent print was in the early 80's) these might have also been connected with EC comics, too.

the Manga Messiah series which is currently being released by Tyndale (i think), created NEXT.

Tho I'm not too familiar with the material, but the Spire/Barbour Archie Christian comics

The body of work by Jack T. Chick- tho i may not agree with various theologies of his (and he would surely not agree with me!), he's certianly done more for Christian (and independent) comics than anyone. Does anyone know, is he the highest printed self published/independent comics creator? I can't imagine anyone would have higher print numbers than him- as well as languages, etc. Also, if I can include the X-Men, I think I can include Chick!

Honorary mention- Illuminator series, also by Marvel/Nelson in the 90s. It was pretty cool in many ways- but i think it was missing something which prevented it from being a big breakthru.

I've got some GREAT bilingual (Korean/English) Manwha Scripture adaptations, which to my knowledge have NO availability in the US. But I have like 7 volumes, and I'm sure there are more. My father got them while in Korea like 5 years ago. Also, doing thein bilingual was brillaint. i just wish they were in print here.

That's not 10- but those are some ideas...

Also- it's hard to define "Christian" but i've chosen works, which to me, exemplify the Character of Christ or spread the Gospel in some way.

Also, i've tried to focus on works outside of this community so that i don't either offend people or come off as
    trying to flatter someone- so if you think you're book should have been on here- maybe it is in my mind- but not included for those reasons!
This reply was deleted.