CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS
I'm relatively new to this website. I signed up with the society and then went about forgetting all about it. Lately my husband and I have discovered that we know absolutely NO Christian Comic Book Artists in Atlanta. Now we have been living here for roughly two years and don't get out alot. We've spent the last two years trying to keep our heads above water (and haven't really managed that yet--but it's a long story and I'm not going into that) and haven't spent a great deal of time looking around to find out who's around. We moved from Summerville, SC where we made more contacts because we actually managed to scrape together enough money to host a small comic convention there (Con Carne 2008). But as way leads on to way...how does one lose contact with people? I cannot for the life of me figure out how we got so secluded, but it is lonely. And life is a little too long to be this lonely. God did not put us on this earth to associate with no one. But it feels like no matter who we meet we are just outsiders with a childish habit. I've gotten glassy looks to plastic smiles when it comes to trying to meet church folks and lightly discuss what we are interested in. I didn't mean to get on here and complain...I honestly just want to know who's in the area. Anybody? And does anybody know anybody else?

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'll pray for this, Larissa. I don't know any Christian artists in my area either. Sometimes churches have people that work on their graphic design for Sunday mornings. I suppose it's a stretch, but if you found one locally, you might have someone to talk to about art for God.
  • Larissa Davis Ketterer said:
    Anyway, I came across your spiritual biography...and you said something that made me pause:

"...two extremes seem to be the norm: dead, dry religion, or the 'prosperity' gospel coupled with bizarre, supernatural manifestations which are of ungodly origin. Jesus said very clearly, 'Ye shall know a tree by its fruit.'".

Are there fruits of dead religion and prosperity gospel? Let me change that question, what are the fruits of dead, dry religion?

Gotta go, dirty toys and laundry are calling,
    Larissa

Hi, Larissa, I was going to ask if your husband were related to Joe Ketterer, and it turns out he is Joe; that's funny! With that surname I'm glad he didn't turn out to be a letterer. As for your question about fruit, I was referencing our Lord's statement in Matthew 7:17: "Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit, but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit." The fruits of dead, dry religion and of the prosperity gospel (polar opposites in some ways) are both in the latter category. A healthy church, missions organization, or such like is marked by the character, anointing, and presence of Christ, and a steady stream of new, genuine converts is a good sign that they are pregnant with that Abundant Life.

Blessings in Christ Jesus,

Alec
  • Thanks for the welcome. With me it's a matter of remembering to come here and post and read occasionally. Eish, two babies can kill the memory of small, easy tasks.

But I and my husband have the time and soon we will learn how to wrangle it. Haven't had a regular job since 2008 and have been working to build our own comic publishing company (incredibly slowly) and gain enough freelance to keep our heads above water. Being your own boss is alot harder than it originally sounds.

Buzz Dixon said:
    Welcome aboard! I know how good it can be to have fellowship with other Christian artists & writers, but until you local some in your locale, feel free to chime in here!
  • Thanks for the information, Alec.

I began looking at the websites that you mentioned in your response (namely Comix35) and to my surprise I realized I used to be one of your students at the Kubert School, as was my husband (Joe Ketterer).

Anyway, I came across your spiritual biography (I'm very bad about going from link to link to link til I find I'm in some strange internet land and never know how I got there) and you said something that made me pause:

"...two extremes seem to be the norm: dead, dry religion, or the 'prosperity' gospel coupled with bizarre, supernatural manifestations which are of ungodly origin. Jesus said very clearly, 'Ye shall know a tree by its fruit.'".

Are there fruits of dead religion and prosperity gospel? Let me change that question, what are the fruits of dead, dry religion? I see clearly the folly of prosperity "gospel" and try not to gag when I see it. But all else...so much else seems dry and dead that it is scary.

Gotta go, dirty toys and laundry are calling,
    Larissa

Calvary Comics said:
    There was Edgar J. Williams, author of HOW TO DRAW COMIC HEROES GOD'S WAY, but he was killed in an driving accident in Atlanta when a truck struck his car some years ago. Incredibly, he didn't have a scratch on his body, and he was very physically fit. The Lord took him home, and his wife and children are still with us.
    Jeff Galloway, a contributing artist to the ICCC2 (International Christian Comics Competition 2 anthology in 2007) and his wife Angie run Galloway Design www.gallowaydesign.com in Norcross (just outside Atlanta), and you can contact him via the website.
    Kenn Bivins is in the Atlanta area. He used to draw for Marvel years ago, and contributed to the PROVERBS & PARABLES anthology. His website is www.kennbivins.com

Kind regards in Christ Jesus,

Alec
  • There was Edgar J. Williams, author of HOW TO DRAW COMIC HEROES GOD'S WAY, but he was killed in an driving accident in Atlanta when a truck struck his car some years ago. Incredibly, he didn't have a scratch on his body, and he was very physically fit. The Lord took him home, and his wife and children are still with us.

Jeff Galloway, a contributing artist to the ICCC2 (International Christian Comics Competition 2 anthology in 2007) and his wife Angie run Galloway Design www.gallowaydesign.com in Norcross (just outside Atlanta), and you can contact him via the website.

Kenn Bivins is in the Atlanta area. He used to draw for Marvel years ago, and contributed to the PROVERBS & PARABLES anthology. His website is www.kennbivins.com

Kind regards in Christ Jesus,

Alec
    Operations Automation Default Page
  • hopefully you will find one soon, Im having the same problem, except IM looking for christian artists that live by me,
This reply was deleted.