CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

super power origins

So i was thinking about how characters could have super powers and still be theologically consistent with Christianity. At one point i even thought the main character didn't know how he got his powers and just left it at that.

what do you guys think? what are some ways one could obtain powers?

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• marcus hayden said:

One Christian artist I've seen had an interesting take on the 'super powers thing' with ''David's Mighty Men''.  maybe you could incorporate somekind of modern-age spin off with that idea?

http://www.clashentertainment.com/comics/6-comics/4187-qdavids-migh...

It also comes to mind that one could use Sampson as an example.  God's power to deliver men from evil is not limited by our world or mind.  They are only limited by himself and his promises.  There are people who have extraordinary strength and other characteristics that cannot readily be explained by human science.  They can only be explained by the fact that God has made a choice to endow men with those characteristics.  David's mighty men, Sampson, Elijah and the prophets of baal, the story of Baalam and the donkey that spoke (because Baalam stubbornly stuck to sinning), God gives, God takes away. We all know stories of people who have had the catastrophic loss of a limb, or one of their senses only to develop, or be granted by a mighty God, heightened awareness in other areas.  I have a friend with a brain tumor, after surgery was able to play piano far better then she was able to before the surgery.  The imagination shown within this website is yet another example of how God is working in an extraordinary way among His people.  The imagination, both good and bad, are a gift from God.  If he wanted to limit us from imagining superhero powers he would have done so hundreds of years ago.   

super power origins
    So i was thinking about how characters could have super powers and still be theologically consistent with Christianity. At one point i even thought t…
  • thanks! =D

Jotham David Parker said:

That sounds pretty cool. Very well planned with some interesting changes of fortune.

super power origins
    So i was thinking about how characters could have super powers and still be theologically consistent with Christianity. At one point i even thought t…
  • That sounds pretty cool. Very well planned with some interesting changes of fortune.

• Funny you asked this, because I'm actually working on my own superhero allegory. My plan involves the bad guys & the good guys. Bad guys are led by the serpent and good guys are led by Josh (Jesus is greek for Joshua). The serpent deceives and ensnares people to make selfish choices and step by step get more and enslaved to Him where it's harder and harder to get free. My main character is an assassin for the serpent empowered with fox powers. (claws, teeth, stealth, animal instincts, etc.). Josh ends up setting her free from being enslaved in her mind, but then she can't deal with the self-condemnation she now feels for the monster she was murdering people and stuff. She goes back to the serpent because she thinks it would be better to be oblivious and blind to her guilt then to deal with it, face it, and live with it. She gets enslaved again, but this time it's way worse (you could even say 7 times worse) and she now has a great self-hatred and is even deceived to blindly hate Josh, the man who saved her from the serpent's grasp, because she believes that he sees her as a monster and hates her. Eventually the serpent gets really ticked off with Josh messing with his criminal empire or something, so he sends his assasin after Josh, the fox girl. She's threatening his life or whatever and slashes him and beats him up or something, but he keeps loving her and teeling her how he loved her and forgave her. I haven't decided yet, but I think he might actually die and then come back to life, but I haven't decided yet. All I know for sure is after this situation she gets free for good and is filled with his love and gets new powers and purpose. He empowers her to a greater purpose, from a killer and murderer to a protector and defender. (She's going to lose fox powers but gain awesome swordmanship or something like that) Satan (the serpent) wanted her to lose who she was, creating her into this animal that she was never meant to be, but Josh (Jesus) made something beautiful out of her to do amazing things as a hero.

Isaiah 40:29

New Living Translation (NLT)

29 He gives power to the weak
        and strength to the powerless.

• There are two things every writer needs to know before pen meets paper, or fingers meet keyboard.

First, writers should write what they know.  Now we all know tat super powers are not real, but the reason for those powers mostly has to do with conflict.  We all know conflict and using the medium of comics allows for a story to be told that shows all aspects of conflict.

Second, writers should know their audience.  Most Christian comics are geared toward people that are already in church.  That's not a bad thing, but it is something that we need o be honest about.  Writing a story with overt Christian themes, and using "church language" will not real into the main stream market.  But that is ok. The church needs stories to be told to them.  Knowing that, and them, it might not be wise to use super powers or zombies or any other aspect that will keep church people from reading the story.  Then there are those of us that write stories for other audiences.  Most are not very Christian focused but will have underline themes that speak to faith.  A great example of this Cardboard. 

So to sum up, this is more an issue of who you are writing for, and as always write the story that is on your heart and all the rest will work out in the end.

• I'm also going to post about the theological question, because it's important. I'm going to take some time to compose it so I don't ramble, though.

• I think we need to realize that most readers, even young ones are savvy enough to separate the fantasy (a girl getting flight powers) and the reality (a girl praying when her flight powers cause her trouble). This is especially true in a genre that is so familiar and conventional. It probably is possible to blur lines in a comic, but people will probably still realize it's a comic.

One post said that these are comics and not theological treatises and I think most readers will recognize that. We should be careful when writing, but there are enough good pastors, authors and radio hosts to answer any questions raised in a comic. This is why Christ's body has many members. The theologian limb can help the artist limb and vice versa.

• I guess radioactive spiders or an accident could be used.  And then to have the character turnaround and give the LORD His honor over it.  Just like real life when accidents or illness comes and that someone still glorifies God.
    I don't know if I would dwell in powers God gave someone outside the scripture definition.
    Or powers from the other side like magic, incantations and such.

• My personal taste isn't for the comics you two guys described, but I'd be weary against disparaging those that have been created.  I really don't like the song, "I can only Imagine", but it's done a lot of good for a lot of people and I don't want to take that away from it.  Different seeds grow in different soil under different conditions. 

• @Tiago 

I'm in agreement with you on this one. I think Christian comics is a clique and bland idea. The superman/batman/any other super hero copy cat with a cross logo on his/her chest quoting scriptures just does not do it for me. That is why I take the route of Christian created comics or Christians in comics. My characters are GREATLY flawed. Because if they were perfect they (nor would we) need a Christ. As for the Bible scriptures, i find it annoying. Just like in real life, one can throw random (or well placed) Bible verses at you, but in my 15 years plus of dealing with deviant behavior and activity (on  a professional level) I never saw it work. Someone dedicated to Christ and willing to roll his/her sleeves up and get dirty with the one in need... now I HAVE seen that work. So in closing my characters, situations, stories reflect the need for Christ after making good and/or bad choices always pointing that even if you are endowed with great power you are still responsible to render honor, glory, love and respect to our Heavenly father. But keeping in mind that it is a choice... and that you have to be comfortable accepting its consequence.

This reply was deleted.