CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

super power origins

So i was thinking about how characters could have super powers and still be theologically consistent with Christianity. At one point i even thought the main character didn't know how he got his powers and just left it at that.

what do you guys think? what are some ways one could obtain powers?

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Keep in mind i am not thinking of any particular christian comic book characters. as i said im ignorant of alot of it. im open to any good stories please share if u know of any.

• Im very ignorant of christian comic book characters. very ignorant. from the little ive seen it sucks. Its a bunch of characters giving long rants about christanity, or its a character thats incredibly perfect because the medium is trying to avoid depicting sin. Like what is the deal here?

This goes farther then comics as its about movies as well. Take corageous for example.  I liked that movie but it never seemed real to me. They never seemed like real gangsters, or drug addicts or anything because of how much they sugar coat it. then they depict violence ( albiet censored, no blood etc) and other sorts of sins the average joe really wouldnt notice. 

My point is No one likes christian media because it seems phony, or bogus. These worlds where noone swears or sheds blood or sins even doesnt exsist. Im not saying we should fill these movies with swears but You need to keep in mind you are depicting a fallen world. Why do manga comics like naruto, one piece, and bleach while secular are so popular? Because they are real characters engaging in real problems. 

Its tough to explain and im trying my best but im angry at so many people trying to make a christian character and ultimatley failing because instead of telling a great story they just have a thousand panels of someone preaching. Go to a church to hear a sermon.

My adhd is off the charts right now so discuss and bring up points i missed. Im eager to see what you guys say. And while this is a rant this is to build people up. i want to see good media come out.

• You've brought up a good thread Seth as I was planning on writing a similar thread in the future.  I just create my characters how I'm inspired. 

• I heard it said one time that Christians can't handle "super powers" and so a lot of creators use technology in their stories.  My feeling is first write your story, they way you want it.  then, and only then consider making changes for your audience.  you might just find that you didn't have to worry about this at all.  Of course this opinion is only 18 months late to the thread...

• I sort of tend to take a symbolic approach to superheroes in general. superheros represent the good side or God's side of the battle and the villains represent Satan's side of the battle and the antiheroes represent the spiritual battle a christian has within himself between the dual nature of a christian on the good side but always running the risk of falling to the other side

• Paul and yours carissas comments lead to me to understand that God Gives these abilities to people to people so they can understand somthing. solomon how the world is pointless  when u have everything.

• I think there are many character who obtained their powers from God. In the old testament for example, God pretty much gave them alot of powers. Samson for his strength, Solomon for his wisdom, etc.

Pretty much you can make a valuable reason since you can obtain pretty much almost (notice I say almost) everything from God.

• One thing you can do . i do this all the time is use an origin story that may not be nessecarily consisteant with scripture but use it in a symbolic form to make it fit. For example, my character Screech she gets her power from an alien and has to struggle to keep the alien half of herself under control. Now on the outside that doesn't fit with scripture but symbolicly it represents the struggle a christian has with his sin nature. another one i use is lab accidents. some science experiment gone bad. Another example of that is my character Webtrapper. Toby Corion was doing an experiment with androman radiation and slips and knocks over a few spider cages and the radiation hit the spiders and transfers some of thier DNA to Toby giving him some of thier abilities. My favorite and probably overused one is a reformed villian. Some villain decides for some reason to turn good. This can also be used to represent symbolically repentance and salvation from sin. Hope these ideas I gave helps

• Thanks for the input, I'm going to try and think up a cool sounding term for them. I think I'll just use Belts and make it clear the belts are just technological.

• I'd steer clear of the terminology "orb technology". We got skeptics runnin around saying they capture ghost photo's in the form of orbs, and you don't need that kind of correlations. Just call it Bio-Mechanics or something, but do make it plausible, no one likes hokey christian comics. XD

And having "special" amulets or anklets gets into the likes of mysticism which you don't want to be a part of. So if you do have "special equipment" make sure to explain it. So that there's no misconstruing your super group's running around w/ belts, necklaces, and bracelets powered by orb technology and people  saying, "Oh. So magic(Belts, Necklaces, Bracelets)?"

But, like we're saying make sure your stories/characters point to Christ, and I agree w/ you the tech aspect is a safe and great way to go.

This reply was deleted.