CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

SKY PILOT #1, 1950

You can read the entirety of SKY PILOT #1, published in November, 1950, at this link:

http://furycomics.com/viewer/9/Sky_Pilot/Sky_Pilot_010/?i=1&m=S9 

For some reason this and the second issue are numbered 10 and 11 (probably continuing another Ziff-Davis series, instead of renumbering).  Cover paintings are by Norman Saunders (famed for his work on pulp magazine covers and latterly for the Wacky Packages stickers of the early 1970s).  SKY PILOT is a reverent comic about a missionary of the far north, but it is also unintentionally hilarious.  "He delivers a powerful sermon, and packs a mighty punch" and "John Hawks, Sky Pilot, a man who quoted from the Scriptures...and backed his words with muscles of steel..." should give you some idea of what I mean.  Gotta love it!  The second and final issue came out in January, 1951. 

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I've noticed that people back in the olden dayes used a lot of euphemisms like "Providence" and "Heaven". Not sure why. It is pretty weird that a story about a Christian missionary wouldn't mention Jesus, though.

• One other odd thing about that first issue is that the name of Jesus Christ is never mentioned.  Lots of Scriptures are quoted, yes (both Old and New Testament), but "God" and "Lord" are the only words used in regards to Deity.  I'm amazed that a Golden Age secular comic would get the go-ahead to quote Bible verses, but not to mention Jesus. 

#2 (#11) is cover-dated April-May, 1951 which is an unusual delay between issues. 

3884486813?profile=original

• I only made it to the cover before this became my new favorite thing!

This reply was deleted.