CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Recommended Resources

Hi all,

I've enjoyed getting to know several of you over the past couple of weeks and I've been really happy to see all of the talent and all of the comics y'all are publishing.

I'm a writer and musician myself, but I've always been interested in learning to draw. For whatever reason, I haven't ever been able to pick it up. Can anyone recommend some good websites and books for beginners to learn? What about necessary supplies?

I envision this post being a kind of library of resources from newbs like me.

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I got both books and they're really fun and helpful- especially Action Cartooning.

Lazaro ruiz said:

you have to get action cartooning & and Fantasy Cartooning by Ben Caldwell. these are my favorite how to draw books!

Recommended Resources
    Hi all, I've enjoyed getting to know several of you over the past couple of weeks and I've been really happy to see all of the talent and all of the…
  • Thanks, Brien. I have seen blue lines on people's sketches but didn't really understand what they were for!

Brien Sparling said:

1) A good size white polymer eraser(erases with marking up the paper, doesn't age).   2) Several Col-erase blue pencils. Using blue for your understructure allows you to use a pen or normal pencil for the over work. The col-Erase is soft which makes it easier to make soft lines when you're starting a sketch.

3) A pad of cheap paper with a cardboard back so you can carry it everywhere conveniently.

4) A huge bottle of patience and self-acceptance.

Recommended Resources
    Hi all, I've enjoyed getting to know several of you over the past couple of weeks and I've been really happy to see all of the talent and all of the…
  • Thanks, Lazaro - I've put both books in my Wish List!

Lazaro ruiz said:

you have to get action cartooning & and Fantasy Cartooning by Ben Caldwell. these are my favorite how to draw books!

Recommended Resources
  • 1) A good size white polymer eraser(erases with marking up the paper, doesn't age).   2) Several Col-erase blue pencils. Using blue for your understructure allows you to use a pen or normal pencil for the over work. The col-Erase is soft which makes it easier to make soft lines when you're starting a sketch.

3) A pad of cheap paper with a cardboard back so you can carry it everywhere conveniently.

4) A huge bottle of patience and self-acceptance.

• you have to get action cartooning & and Fantasy Cartooning by Ben Caldwell. these are my favorite how to draw books!

This reply was deleted.