CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

New Comic Company Idea

Hello Everyone!This discussion is to drum up some interest and to see if anyone out there might have some ideas/comments.Anyone out there interested in helping create/build a christian comic company that goes against the grain? First off, let me state that I have nothing against the christian companies out there now. You guys keep up the great work and keep pushing! I just want to take an avenue that no one else seems to want to travel on. I am curious if anyone else out there in christian comic land is on the same page I am.I am looking to create something that can sit on a shelf in a regular comic store and attract someone who would never buy anything remotely christian. Think Image Comics back in 1992. They jumped ship and created something that was different and pushed the envelope for comics. I want to do that with the christian industry. I would love to have a handful of different titles/characters with excellent art, writing, etc. I want this to be different from everything out there. Not necessarily looking for comics based off scriptures and bible stories. Although, I do want that involved! I am looking for everyday events, personal struggles, things that normal people deal with, but layed out and depicted in a very unique way. To take those everyday things and relate them to christianity. Whether this calls for cartoon/fun storytelling or extreme/graphic/violent storytelling that is fine. I am not looking for sugar coating, I am looking put out there what is "real".For example, Mel Gibson portrayal of Christ in his film was fantastic. Yes, it was violent, graphic, and bloody, but it made an extreme impact and really delivered the message. This is what I am looking to do with this idea. No, I don't want all blood, etc. I just don't want to hold anything back. I just want to give the reader top notch art, great writing, and something that pushes them to want to keep reading. A deeper meaning, if you will.Obvisously, I realize a lot of christians will not agree with this style I am sure. But, that is fine. I am not really doing this for "christians". There is a massive market out there in comic land that is very anti-christian. Those are the people I need to reach.I was a musician in a christian band for about six years and had many christians/churches tell us were too "extreme", or not "contemporary" enough. But, we made an impact on many kids lives. Many that I still hear from today through emails, etc. We weren't trying to change the church/religion, we were trying to change the people who would never come to those establishments. Those are the people that need help. Many people forget that.So, if anyone out there is interested, please let me know! I look forward to hearing from you. And to everyone, keep up the great work! I am so glad I found this site. It has been an inspiration to find other christian comic enthusiasts out there! God Bless.

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Still here! Just sent you an email!
  • Shawn? You still around?
  • I will contend that if you don't provide an incentive to buy: i.e. compelling, WELL PRESENTED content, then people won't pick it up.

That said, the tools are at our disposal - it's a matter of figuring out the best way to utilize them.

A couple interesting insights found via Scott McCloud (by way of Barry Deutsch.)

http://www.comixology.com/articles/412/-Ten-Things-to-Know-About-th...

And potential additional insights and counterpoints:

http://webcomicoverlook.com/2010/10/26/ten-things-to-know-about-the...
  • I happened to see this September, 2009 article in a monthly flyer called Church Around the World:

"Publishers Discontinue Magazines

"The downtown in the economy continues to impact magazines, with 525 magazines ceasing publication in 2008 according to MediaFinder.com, an online database of U.S. and Canadian publications. Further, 95 magazines folded in the first quarter of 2009, while 16 magazines ceased their print editions and now publish online-only magazines.

"NavPress, which is the publishing arm of The Navigators, will discontinue publication of its two magazines and shift its efforts toward enhancing its Web presence. The first, Discipleship Journal, was launched in 1981 and boasted a readership of more than 100,000 at one point in time, and the second magazine, Pray!, reportedly reached 44,000. 'It is no secret that we are all in the midst of some very challenging times in our economy and the publishing industry,' stated Michael D. Miller, president of NavPress. 'Magazine publishing has been hit hard,' he added. 'The internet has been dealing a blow to print media for years. Then the economic downturn---it was like a one-two punch."
    Search the Largest Online Database of U.S. & Canadian Publications and Catalogs
  • Wait what? THE NY TIMES IS GOING ALL DIGITAL? WOW.

Wow. That's really a kick in the gut. If even they can't figure it out then somethings in the water.

I find it interesting how the print world is fast becoming inaccessible. It's so strange watching it shut down right in front of your eyes.

IMO - some (or many) distributors have gotten a) Lazy, and b) Greedy. I've been analyzing this market for 15+ years because I've always had an interest in breaking in with my own stuff. 15 years ago the cost was still pretty astronomical - and there again were still blockages with getting stuff to an audience. It is much easier now - so long as you have the will to do it - and the smarts to do it right.

However, the PRINT side of things has always always always been problematic from a distribution standpoint - especially as an independent - even for traditional book publishing.

I was talking to a marketing guy who worked for a book company and he said, they do exactly the same thing as the common joe - they send a guy out to go knock on doors and peddle the product - they just have a little more funding for it - but, even the budgets for those guys is drying up. They also happen to be utilizing the authors' to sell the books as much as the sales guys too. The only difference instead of you the individual having to go and knock on doors, they have a dedicated sales guy.

I'm kind of thinking that publishing is turning into a giant crap shoot guessing game. Throw anything and everything out there and hope it catches someone's attention so you can make a buck off it and hopefully survive for tomorrow.

Now I'm curious to know if publishers and bookstores are actually moving as much product as it looks like.

But I do agree - digital is where it's at - it also offers some interesting potential which can be exploited that cant' be done in print.
  • The "floppies" (pamphlets or periodicals) aren't selling well, folks. They're fast going the way of the dinosaur. Really wouldn't recommend the investment. I published two saddlestitched, 28 page Christian comic books in 2001 and sold thousands through Diamond, but that was a different time from now, economically speaking. Also, Diamond takes 65% of cover price on all comics, so I made back my initial investment and profited by only five cents per book sold. In short, you must have incredible startup cash and you must print tens of thousands of each title if you want to go with a distributor (same story with Spring Arbor or any others) and make any kind of money back (that's assuming you have the funds for (or personal) talent to produce pro level stories and art in the first place).

Print-on-demand graphic novels are a much better choice, have a longer shelf life, and are more attractive for an unknown, untried property.

Lastly, as stated in another thread, printed comics have only about five years of life in them (in the mainstream). Publishing is going digital; hardcopy will fast be a memory with rising paper costs. Formatting for Nook, Kindle, the ipad, etc. is much more forward-looking (and cost effective for a startup company). Even The New York Times announced it is going to call it a day soon with printing the paper, and go digital.
  • Oh...definitely have ideas.

Check your e-mail :)

"I am more interested in monthly releases or mini series" - that is my view too. Contained stories. I think for small publishers or beginning this is the way to go. It also allows for more variety too.

@Buzz - wholeheartedly agree with your statement. I was just curious as to what Joe had done specifically.

Martin
  • Very cool! If you don't mind me asking, what company and style of books were you working with?

I would love to see something like this develop as well, but like I said I am not sure where to start, or what is the best route to take. I would love to be able to hold something in "print", but with print & book costs rising it is tough out there. I am not really into the large 144 page graphic novel, I am more interested in monthly releases or mini series. Love how Mignola works with the Hellboy universe and does sets of stories, yet they all fit together within that world. Large format novels are great, but it is a serious undertaking and you have to bank of the sales of that single book. It makes smart sense to test the waters with a couple of issues of an idea and roll from there. Ok, I am rambling, sorry.

Being a designer, I have ideas for the look of books, web ideas, etc. I have ideas for characters, possibly stories, etc, etc. I just don't know where to go from there. As I have said before, I would love to draw them, but I don't feel I could do the "look" justice. At least for the stories I have in mind, I want a particular look to them and I know I can't get that feel. I have an artist in mind for one I want to do, but he is a busy guy. I worked with him on a title through Grail Quest Books.

I would love to develop some ideas and see thing come to life. Anyone else have any ideas as well??
  • Editor eh?

What type of duties did that entail?
  • I'd love to see this happen. I worked for a comics company as the editor of their Christian comics line. (Unfortunately none of the company's books saw print in any form while I was with them, and I doubt if they ever will.) I helped to develop five titles that would definitely fall into this category. Where do I sign?
This reply was deleted.