CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

New Comic Company Idea

Hello Everyone!This discussion is to drum up some interest and to see if anyone out there might have some ideas/comments.Anyone out there interested in helping create/build a christian comic company that goes against the grain? First off, let me state that I have nothing against the christian companies out there now. You guys keep up the great work and keep pushing! I just want to take an avenue that no one else seems to want to travel on. I am curious if anyone else out there in christian comic land is on the same page I am.I am looking to create something that can sit on a shelf in a regular comic store and attract someone who would never buy anything remotely christian. Think Image Comics back in 1992. They jumped ship and created something that was different and pushed the envelope for comics. I want to do that with the christian industry. I would love to have a handful of different titles/characters with excellent art, writing, etc. I want this to be different from everything out there. Not necessarily looking for comics based off scriptures and bible stories. Although, I do want that involved! I am looking for everyday events, personal struggles, things that normal people deal with, but layed out and depicted in a very unique way. To take those everyday things and relate them to christianity. Whether this calls for cartoon/fun storytelling or extreme/graphic/violent storytelling that is fine. I am not looking for sugar coating, I am looking put out there what is "real".For example, Mel Gibson portrayal of Christ in his film was fantastic. Yes, it was violent, graphic, and bloody, but it made an extreme impact and really delivered the message. This is what I am looking to do with this idea. No, I don't want all blood, etc. I just don't want to hold anything back. I just want to give the reader top notch art, great writing, and something that pushes them to want to keep reading. A deeper meaning, if you will.Obvisously, I realize a lot of christians will not agree with this style I am sure. But, that is fine. I am not really doing this for "christians". There is a massive market out there in comic land that is very anti-christian. Those are the people I need to reach.I was a musician in a christian band for about six years and had many christians/churches tell us were too "extreme", or not "contemporary" enough. But, we made an impact on many kids lives. Many that I still hear from today through emails, etc. We weren't trying to change the church/religion, we were trying to change the people who would never come to those establishments. Those are the people that need help. Many people forget that.So, if anyone out there is interested, please let me know! I look forward to hearing from you. And to everyone, keep up the great work! I am so glad I found this site. It has been an inspiration to find other christian comic enthusiasts out there! God Bless.

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Shawn, We are trying to accomplish what you are speaking of. Got a ways to go though. Currently penciling page 116, still need to ink, color, letter, etc. and I'm believing God for publishing, whether it's self or someone else. Right now my direction is to pencil.

http://www.heedthecalling.com/
  • They did have some cool books. The look, printing, etc was fantastic! Good quality material. I have chatted with a couple of the guys involved with it before. But, I also am not exactly sure why it just vanished.

Honestly don't know of any distributors or anything. I have used this board for trying to find others to work with. Aside from that, I don't know too many people on here, or at least haven't met a lot yet.
  • Yup. You've got the right idea.

Again, Alias was an attempt to do this - but they kind of were a) Hiding behind their name and b) Ended up having various issues that ended them almost as soon as they started.*

This can be done. Just needs to be done right.

Is there anyone on this Board that is either a Distributor, or a connected to a distributor? What are they looking for?

Martin.

*I have no idea of what went down at Alias - so the comment above is only a matter of observation. a) Their name seemed to be clever - but once it was found out they were "christian" the name seemed like they were presenting one thing and being another - that to me is a recipe for instant doom. b) This comment is just seeing what I saw - they were pumping out a whole bunch of stuff, and boom - they disappeared. For what it's worth, I really liked some of the stuff they put out.
    Right.is
  • Hi Alec!
    I have checked out your books online before. I think the books are great for their intended purpose & ministry. I think true storie formats are great to learn about particular people, their life, and what they were able to accomplish. Not quite the style I enjoy personally, but I think it is great that it is reaching people!

Maybe what I am pushing is christian who just create comics, not necessarily christians that create "christian" comics. By an undelying theme, I mean something like: everyday life, crime, noir, detectives, robots, evil plot to destroy things, angels, monsters, etc. Just something creative, not already based on a biblical story. But, the characters within the book maybe come from a christian background, or perhaps relate their everyday struggles to finding the truth, etc.

I could roll off a ton of titles that represent the genre or feel I am after. But, honestly I just want to see something different. For example, being a musician & having been a touring musician in christian bands I get tired of the same old thing. Praise & Worship tunes are great, but they get old after awhile and every church out there rehashes the same tunes, just changes them to fit there church. Even my church does this & I play drums there every sunday. But, what I love are those bands that create their own Praise & Worship, write their own songs and try to create something unique that is their own. But, it is based on the same idea, but it is not using the same idea. Not sure if all this makes sense, but hopefully so!

Like I said to all, keep up the great work in the fields you are working in! I just want to see some new life, new breath in this industry. If I can help bring that in, awesome. If not, hopfeully I can inspire others to create.
  • Shawn Skipper said:
    ...I want to read something unique & creative with an underlying christian theme... I am just a guy that really likes to see something original. I love the bible, but I can read that anytime. Instead of seeing the same stories over and over, I want to see something more unique...

I publish true stories in graphic novel form that show that God has not "retired," but that He still works in just as spectacular a fashion as He did in Bible times in the hearts and lives of truly yielded vessels. Take a look at the previews of Sadhu Sundar Singh, India's most famous Christian; Revival Among the Zulus featuring evangelist Erlo Stegen of South Africa; Clendennen: Soldier of the Cross spotlighting the founder of The School of Christ International which presently operates in over 150 countries; or Glory to God which, besides Bible stories, showcases the gripping, present-day (and authorized) testimonies of Brother Yun of China, Stephen Sebyala of Uganda, and Cesar Lubrin of the Philippines, as well as such pillars of the faith as William Tyndale, D. L. Moody, and others.

www.calvarycomics.com

If you love the Lord and like comics, these stories will further challenge, convict, and motivate you to give your all to Him in these last days of harvest and apostasy. Thousands of copies have sold across the world, and I have scores of letters from people who have been greatly moved by these, and who have used them to minister to others. More are in the works!

Kind regards in Christ Jesus,

Alec Stevens
    (former illustrator for The New York Times and The New Yorker magazine, and former artist-writer for DC, Fantagraphics, Dark Horse, Kitchen Sink, Acclaim, Heavy Metal, etc.---now strictly writing, drawing, and painting---and making music---for the King of kings).
  • Not sure if one banner for everything would be the best idea. Obviously, it would be cool to pitch an idea and have it picked up by an up and running company. Rather it be an indie company or not, I just think it would be cool to push for that. I am not against starting a "christian" company either. I just know it takes funds, and I have no where near the money to ever start such a journey. I am just try to keep my drum building venture going, which I truly love! But, the comic realm would be awesome to be involved in! I have always wanted to be involved, since I love the graphic design field and that is what I originally went to school for!

I don't think it needs to be an overwhelming amount of titles either. Just 1-3 solid titles that could be released under the same "company". Just so that company has the control of the look, print, style, etc. If intereste built, then by all means grow the company and bring on more books/titles. Quality is first for me. I do know a few awesome artists, sadly everyone is busy with paying jobs, so it is hard to pull them away.

Ultimately, I have just had ideas I would love to move into an illustrated realm. A couple of graphic novel/comic style, a childrens book/childrens character style, etc. Just to see what could come of them. I am one of those people that is constantly having ideas and I just hate to look back 20 years from now and wonder, "What if?".

Checked out your web site, cool stuff!! As for combining forces, what are your thoughts?
  • Hey Shawn!

Please DO CREATE SOMETHING - ANYTHING. But I'm glad that you're self aware enough to know where your skill set lies - others aren't as capable of seeing that. However, if your art style is "Calvin and Hobbes-ish" then maybe write something suited for that style. Though, I would love to see a Calvin and Hobbes looking "Sword and Sorcerey" tale, or what if he had a machine gun...anyway...

However - if you don't think you can execute your own idea visually, then hire someone to do it.

Some quality stuff has come out recently (last 5-7yrs) that was ripped straight from scripture, and some that wasn't: "David's Mighty Men", some of the Zondervan comics line, Armor Quest (still looking for the end of that book).

OK, this conversation opens the proverbial bag of worms - I had a huge long rant - but I'm going to chop it up so we can explore it in the blog section eventually.

By the way - You're not stepping on anyone's toes.

NOW - what would it take to combine forces? Do we need to stick all the comics under one banner somewhere?
  • You know, it's funny. I actually posted this topic about two years ago and only now starting to get interesting feedback from it. At the time I was hardcore about starting something. I still think it would be neat, so who knows. God does crazy things.

So, to MonkeyWrench - I completely agree with you! I don't want to step on anyone's toes here at all, so if you are reading this, please understand I mean no harm here. I think anything labeled as a christian medium should look top notch in all areas of execution. Being an artist myself I am extremely picky as to what I like to read comic wise. If the art is sub-par, I usually won't read it. Personally, I would love to draw comics, but my art tends to be more "Calvin & Hobbes" rather than the guys doing all the amazing work out there today. So, I don't even attempt, because I feel it should look incredible, in it's own way. The writing can drag a book down also.

All this aside, I have just never seem any christian comics that blow me away yet. Don't get me wrong, there is some awesome heart and drive behind the books/companies that do exist. But, I don't feel it is strong enough to really grab a non-christian audience. My main reason is that every story comes straight from the Bible. That is fine, but that doesn't get me interested. I want to read something unique & creative with an underlying christian theme. For example, I enjoyed the Archangels series that came out some time ago. Had a great start, art was strong, but it vanished. I am just a guy that really likes to see something original. I love the bible, but I can read that anytime. Instead of seeing the same stories over and over, I want to see something more unique.

I am not saying I can do this by any means. I have lot's of ideas, so I guess that makes me an "idea man". I just love comics & love reading! I love to write and create stories, characters, ideas. I would LOVE to be able to draw like some of the talent I see out there. But, God didn't wire me with that style of work. So, I just use my skills the best I can. If nothing else, maybe this thread can help ignite others to try something new. I just like to push people to do their best and glorify God to their absolute fullest! So, for those doing this already, keep pushing and refining the work you do! Every little thing we all do makes some kind of difference rather large or small!
  • The MonkeyWrench:

Not to poo-poo your idea - I think "Christian" comics should be on shelves and of course, and a wide variety of styles, formats, story types and approaches are all relevant and acceptable, just do one thing:

MAKE SURE THE OUTPUT ACTUALLY MATCHES OR IS OF BETTER QUALITY THAN WHAT IS ALREADY OUT THERE. Sure there may be a lot of interest running around - but really assess the quality of what is being offered - and make sure the items that are going to be produced are top notch. Both story and art.

This is something I've had kicking around in the back of my mind for quite some time as well. I find it odd that there is this disparate cavalcade of individuals all producing work all over the map, but without a strong engine to drive it. I suppose Alias was an attempt. There are a billion words of caution that need to be considered in taking up such an endeavor - but there are also risks and realizations that need to be taken too. (This entire topic is something I could write a book on and then some).

Well - if the Almighty calls you to it and opens the doors go to it.
  • Shawn...you're basic premise (to create comics with a "Christian foundation" that will appeal to non-believers) is sound and the same one I've been working under through my Eye Witness series for the past 8 years....but it is indeed a slippery slope to be sure!

From a publishing, distribution and marketing perspective there are too many aspects to try to list here, that you need to consider when putting together your companies mission statement or business plan....which if you're going to be a legitimate publishing company, you've of course got to consider.

As someone who's been in the comic trenches for more than a few years involved in almost all aspects of indy publishing, feel free to contact me through this site or my email (headpress1@gmail.com) if you'd like to discuss secific areas that you have questions about or would like some real-world feedback on. I'm always happy to share my experiences.

bob-
    www.headpress.info
This reply was deleted.